ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound waves vs gravity  (Read 820 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Sound waves vs gravity
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 08:21:40 pm »

I have seen line arrays pointed up outdoors. Surely the operators use gravity to pull some of that back down to the audience.

Yeah and I was critical of that until I started doing more detailed predictions and saw that while some of the HF might be playing to the flying critters the MF and LF lobes were not, in fact playing to the sky.

OTOH I've seen/heard vertical arrays that were aimed up for no apparent or defensible reason.  The last one I saw/heard like that, I asked the system tech how he arrived at the trim height, bumper clination and inter-box angles.  His reply was "we always do it this way."  SMH.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

David Allred

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 07:57:18 am »

Yeah and I was critical of that until I started doing more detailed predictions and saw that while some of the HF might be playing to the flying critters the MF and LF lobes were not, in fact playing to the sky.

OTOH I've seen/heard vertical arrays that were aimed up for no apparent or defensible reason.  The last one I saw/heard like that, I asked the system tech how he arrived at the trim height, bumper clination and inter-box angles.  His reply was "we always do it this way."  SMH.

Maybe the sound shooting up, creates draft and pulls more of the sound that would "fall" otherwise, up.  Therefore increasing "throw" distance for the system.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 08:33:05 am »

www.electrovoice.com/downloadfile.php?i=1270

PDF about line arrays. See page 11.

Robert Healey

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 11:09:30 am »

Maybe over significant distance given the right conditions.

(image from here)

This was critical in some 19th century battles - wind and temperature inversions prevented commanders from hearing the sound of gunfire. Here is an Acoustical Society article summarizing research on acoustic shadows in the American Civil War:

http://acousticalsociety.org/sites/default/files/docs/echoes/v9n1.pdf
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 17 queries.