ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FOH options for small festival  (Read 26118 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: FOH options for small festival
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2017, 06:06:44 PM »

Again thank you to everyone for the great advice.  I have 25 years of experience providing sound and lighting as a DJ, and corporate events in (most often times) ideal conditions in ball rooms.  I am however a novice for providing live sound, and want to make sure I'm doing it right.  I already lined up an experienced A1, and will reach out to find other rental houses within an hour from me to find out what I can get.  Maybe someone can even recommend a good rental house between Philly and Wilkes Barre in North East Pennsylvania.  I did think about one of the iPad controlled mixers, like the Presonus AI series (I Think), the only other ones I know of are Behringer, QSC Touchmix, and RCF's.  Is there a Midas level pro board with remote control.  I do like to feel actual hardware though, so it can't be one with only iPad control (so I wouldn't go with something without knobs and faders).   Well maybe this is a question for another subject.

Anyway EVERYONE THANK YOU, sincerely....

I thought you were on the West Coast originally.  We are in East and Western OH and go to PA all the time.  The DB Tech line array could handle that.  If you are interested in chatting shoot me a PM.

Thanks
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve (Stevie Ray) Kalbach

• Steve Kalbach
    • Stevie Ray Entertainment
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2017, 06:21:16 PM »

I thought you were on the West Coast originally.  We are in East and Western OH and go to PA all the time.  The DB Tech line array could handle that.  If you are interested in chatting shoot me a PM.

Thanks

Thanks Scott,
I will take you up if..I mean when I get some bigger work.  I'm on the other side of the state, about 4 hours from Pittsburgh.
Stephen (Stevie Ray) Kalbach
Owner Stevie Ray Entertainment
http://www.stevierayentertainment.com

Gary Greyhosky

• Carlisle, PA
    • Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2017, 06:28:49 PM »

Thanks Scott,
I will take you up if..I mean when I get some bigger work.  I'm on the other side of the state, about 4 hours from Pittsburgh.

I'm 20 miles south of Harrisburg, PA. If you ever want to check out the DB Technologies stuff that Scott mentioned, I have a 16 box T4 / 4 box S30N rig. Probably 90 minutes from you.
Gary Greyhosky
Managing Partner
Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2017, 06:30:19 PM »

FYI, if you intend to run with a D-snake, you can get the Behringer X32(any size) and the Midas DL16 or DL32 stage box and save a ton of $ while still getting the Midas mic preamps.

Also you can order the X32's as a Tour Pack, with a nice road case for about $200 additional. Midas doesn't have that option, so factor in another $500 for the flight case.

That sounds awesome.  I am thinking I like the M32R mixer, it could easily replace my Yamaha MG16XU, which I can sell to offset the cost, and be a lot more powerful.  Does everyone agree?
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2017, 08:33:38 PM »

How much of that area do they really want to be rocking for those two days, if it's just the front seating area that makes it a whole different game.
Do they want general announcements to be heard over that entire area such as door prizes, weather warnings, hey you need to move your car blocking the drive, ect.
If they need announcements to be heard everywhere that makes it an entirely different game.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2017, 09:07:03 PM »

How much of that area do they really want to be rocking for those two days, if it's just the front seating area that makes it a whole different game.
Do they want general announcements to be heard over that entire area such as door prizes, weather warnings, hey you need to move your car blocking the drive, ect.
If they need announcements to be heard everywhere that makes it an entirely different game.
EXACTLY

FIRST it is important to determine the REAL NEEDS, LONG before any sort of discussion begins on gear.

If you don't know what sort of outcome is expected, how do you know if you have achieved it or not?

Sure, it is a lot more fun to talk gear, but how do you know if the gear proposed will actually do the job, when the job has yet to be defined?  Accurately anyway.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Steve (Stevie Ray) Kalbach

• Steve Kalbach
    • Stevie Ray Entertainment
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2017, 12:21:22 AM »

FYI, here is the news coverage from last year....Wasn't really loud when you hear the bands play, a few tent vendors in the grassy area.

http://www.pahomepage.com/news/rocktoberfest-kicks-off-breast-cancer-awareness-month-in-lehighton/591081113

Stephen (Stevie Ray) Kalbach
Owner Stevie Ray Entertainment
http://www.stevierayentertainment.com

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2017, 07:31:39 AM »

2x JTR Orbit Shifter subwoofers
6x Yamaha DSR112 speakers
1x QSC PL380 or Crown iTech 9000 for subs

Stevie Ray,

This is the best advise you've gotten so far IMHO. If all you need to do is get solid audio 80 ft out in front of a band shell this would work just fine.

A pair of decent powered 12's  up high and angle down a bit over any decent sub will probably work.  But as stated earlier, plan on at least 4 monitor mixes.

Since you posted on the big boy forum you're starting to get big boy suggestions. You don't need any line array  hangs for a job like this.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 07:37:26 AM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2017, 02:56:31 PM »

Stevie Ray,

This is the best advise you've gotten so far IMHO. If all you need to do is get solid audio 80 ft out in front of a band shell this would work just fine.

A pair of decent powered 12's  up high and angle down a bit over any decent sub will probably work.  But as stated earlier, plan on at least 4 monitor mixes.

Since you posted on the big boy forum you're starting to get big boy suggestions. You don't need any line array  hangs for a job like this.

I mentioned the compact line array for rental not purchase BTW.  The reason was it's light enough box I could get it up on lifts and get the levels from front to back very even.  It's a tool to achieve a result.   I think getting the 2 ways up high enough and splaying them to avoid comb filtering would be much harder to achieve.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mal Brown

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »

Power - rent a properly installed Whisper Watt.  $125/8 hours around here.

Drum mic's - On snare drum and Toms, Senn e604's. Mike Pyle just helped me add another 3 pack to my mic box.  For not to mic more than a good used 421...  One lovely aspect to the e604 is that they cut 3 stands out of your pack.  Down side... if you get a Jazz guy with big fat wooden rims, you're back to stands...

Kick - Audix D6
Hat - sm 57

OHD - anything cheap and Light.  For the most part OHD mic's are a waste.  Plenty of cut and bleed through the vox mic's.  OHD's are for show - unless you are having to do IEM's and the drummer wants stereo...  which they often do.  And they often carry their own mic's if they are touring...

You can spend a ton more on drum mic's but after the setup I described, you run into diminishing returns very quickly.

Mic stands - I've been buying K&M's at Amazon for about $40 a throw.  If you simply have to do an OHD, the K&M tripod OHD stand at about $120 is great.  Packs down which my Atlas Me does not... that thing nips an ankle biter...

I am a big believer in stage snakes and in multi outlet cords to handle back line and supply power to a stage front.  If you can stand orange and grey, Home Depot sells a nice 50 ' contractor cable with a llt outlet every 6 feet.

My stage cable and power disto is very, very fast to roll out.  The stage snakes allow me to run shorter mic cables as well. So at load out I'm winding more 15 footers than 35 & 50 footers.

The payback for a clean and efficient cable system is time.  And time is...

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 11:16:21 AM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.