ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FOH options for small festival  (Read 5794 times)

Chris Grimshaw

• Grimshaw Audio
Re: FOH options for small festival
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2017, 10:32:13 am »

Maybe an X32-Rack and one of those portable fader banks from Behringer..?

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Samuel Sjöbergsson

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2017, 11:40:56 am »

Otherwise a dlive would work nice with or without a surface but I guess thats a bit above your price range ☺️

Steve (Stevie Ray) Kalbach

• Steve Kalbach
    • Stevie Ray Entertainment
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2017, 11:48:50 am »

Otherwise a dlive would work nice with or without a surface but I guess thats a bit above your price range ☺️

$22k-$35k for a handful or $1k-$3k gigs a year, there would be no ROI

How is the x32 compact?  Whats the differences between the compact and producer?  Is it necessary to use the full size x32 over the compact?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:51:45 am by Steve (Stevie Ray) Kalbach »
Stephen (Stevie Ray) Kalbach
Owner Stevie Ray Entertainment
http://www.stevierayentertainment.com

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2017, 12:06:35 pm »

Difference is that the compact has scribble-strips which you REALLY want and the producer doesn't.

IMHO the price- and size difference is small between the compact and fullsize, so i would always get the fullsize. Maybe the Midas M32R, if rackmount.

Steve Litscher

• 608 Sound and Light
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2017, 12:23:38 pm »

I'm going to go off script here for a bit... :-)

Since it sounds like you'll be running a handful of live sound events/festivals, would you consider a rig that would be more DJ friendly, so that you can make the most of it during the rest of the year?

If "yes," I might suggest:

2x JTR Orbit Shifter subwoofers
6x Yamaha DSR112 speakers
1x QSC PL380 or Crown iTech 9000 for subs

And then rent the remaining FOH gear for this event. In our neck of the woods, an X32 rental goes for around $150 or so.

The Orbit Shifters will shock you with their output and versatility, and the DSR112 pair nicely with them for smaller-to-mid-size venues. I'd pair one DSR with 1 OS, and then use the other DSR112s for stage monitors. The DSRs draw 90-watts each, if I remember correctly. You could run backline and DSRs on one of the 20a circuits, and the OS on the other.

The OS are relatively easy to move around; they are quite balanced when on casters and are surprisingly easy to move/lift with 2 people. I've moved them up/down stairs by myself, but it's not something I'd want to do regularly.

If you decided that live sound was something you wanted to do more of, you'd have a nice foundation for bass and monitors, and could add gear as necessary with future gigs.

...back to regularly scheduled programming...

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2017, 01:28:23 pm »

DSR over an Orbit Shifter would make a good DJ rig if it's appropriate for the venues he normally does that stuff in.  Otherwise I agree with others to hire in racks and stacks as it used to be called.  If he want's to get into production then a digital mixer (X32/M32, Expression 2, Qu24, not PreSonus) with remote capabilities should handle whatever he's likely to come up against.  Room to grow without investing or carting around outboard.  Enough control surface that he's comfortable but still able to move around with a tablet and get into the modern mixing style.
Monitors can be from his DJ rig or other useful powered boxes.  Alto SXM, Yamaha DXR.  Then mics, stands and cables.
Use the existing DJ rig for small events and if the production business takes off, then the experience renting mains will give him a good idea which way to go.

Steve (Stevie Ray) Kalbach

• Steve Kalbach
    • Stevie Ray Entertainment
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2017, 03:02:22 pm »

DSR over an Orbit Shifter would make a good DJ rig if it's appropriate for the venues he normally does that stuff in.  Otherwise I agree with others to hire in racks and stacks as it used to be called.  If he want's to get into production then a digital mixer (X32/M32, Expression 2, Qu24, not PreSonus) with remote capabilities should handle whatever he's likely to come up against.  Room to grow without investing or carting around outboard.  Enough control surface that he's comfortable but still able to move around with a tablet and get into the modern mixing style.
Monitors can be from his DJ rig or other useful powered boxes.  Alto SXM, Yamaha DXR.  Then mics, stands and cables.
Use the existing DJ rig for small events and if the production business takes off, then the experience renting mains will give him a good idea which way to go.

That sounds awesome.  I am thinking I like the M32R mixer, it could easily replace my Yamaha MG16XU, which I can sell to offset the cost, and be a lot more powerful.  Does everyone agree?
Stephen (Stevie Ray) Kalbach
Owner Stevie Ray Entertainment
http://www.stevierayentertainment.com

Robert Healey

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2017, 03:10:15 pm »

That sounds awesome.  I am thinking I like the M32R mixer, it could easily replace my Yamaha MG16XU, which I can sell to offset the cost, and be a lot more powerful.  Does everyone agree?

The A&H QU + AR2412 easy to use (not a huge learning curve coming from analog), and you have an upgrade path that lets you keep the stage box and move up to the GLD surface - which is extremely versatile.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2017, 04:15:28 pm »

I personally own a Soundcraft Expression 2 which I like the interface better than the X/M32 on.  But the Behringer has become the defacto small venue standard and any A1/A2 you find is probably going to be familiar with it.  The iPad app is also reportedly better.  I'll admit the Soundcraft app isn't up to the level of the board, but I mainly use it for setting up monitors and minor tweaks walking around.

I would like to find an MG16 to have in the truck for back up, just on general principles.  The digital desk has never let me down.

Getting a modern digital board allows for getting into all the subtleties of mixing.  Last night I was in a venue and the drummer was hitting his floor tom and this near feedback ringing kept going on (floppy stage with subs underneath it).  This place has an M32 and I almost wanted to scream at the sound dood to put a gate on it.  Something I think is a little quicker and easier to do on my Soundcraft but is available (along with a parametric low band eq) on his board.  Back in the day I had one stereo gate and had to decide what signals to prioritize it on.  Now, just push a button or two.

You may even find that you want to have the digital board around for DJ events once you get used to it for output patching flexibility, delays and individual eq's.

Mics, stands and cables will quickly eat up the rest of your budget.  Even if you stick with 57/58s and a kick mic of choice.  Get into MD421s for toms, good condenser overheads, an RE20 for the sax player, higher end vocal mics and watch the the ticker roll up like a gas pump with an RV.

As the saying goes, good luck and have fun.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2017, 04:49:36 pm »

I'd second this plan but use a pair of KF650/SB600s as mains and use the other kf650/sb600s as delays behind FOH to cover the lawn. Can easily be run off the local outputs of the X32 or other digital console (using the built-in output delay), assuming you only need 8 outs at FOH. Run the KF rig in mono if you're short on amp channels.

The RCF NX12-SMA and NX15-SMA are nice, cheaper than the TT stuff and have pole mounts for use as utility speakers. The RCF TT stuff is very, very good.

I will also add that I really like my X32. I didn't want to, but I do. It's slick. I also don't mind kicking it out the door on rentals because of the low price. Even comes with a bespoke flight case (X32-TP).

. . .

So overall my suggestion would be:
- Sub-hire the EAW rig for FOH,
- Get (4?) nice high quality multi use speakers,
- Get a couple of subs that you can use for smaller events or as a drumfill,
- Get an X32 or similar desk,
- Make sure you've got nice mics & quality stands.

. . .
Bad Quail
Professional Audio
Joshua Tree, California
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 18 queries.