ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone tried out the QSC E15?  (Read 7554 times)

Steve Crump

Anyone tried out the QSC E15?
« on: May 18, 2017, 08:47:00 AM »

I just wondered if anyone has tried out the QSC "E" series passive speakers. I know in this price range you can get active (Yamaha DBR) and I know the pros and cons. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with the QSC "E" series.
I have a QSC Touchmix and a couple GXD8 power amps that I was thinking about turning into a rental unit and the mixer and amp both have default settings for the "E" series.
I know that I can sell the amps and just buy powered, but I also have some EV EKX subs that are passive that I can pair with the tops as part of the rental. So, I am really in the market to complete the setup I have in hand.
 Finding anyone talking about the "E" series (other than marketing hype) is tough....

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: Anyone tried out the QSC E15?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 02:30:29 PM »

Heard them at a demo when the touchmix was release, sounded pretty decent with playback and vocals but didn't hear any live instruments through them.

The GXDs have presets for the E series so I don't think it would be a bad idea to grab some, do listen to them first though.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Steve Crump

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 03:38:03 PM »

Heard them at a demo when the touchmix was release, sounded pretty decent with playback and vocals but didn't hear any live instruments through them.

The GXDs have presets for the E series so I don't think it would be a bad idea to grab some, do listen to them first though.

Thanks,

Really don't see much out there about them, but since I have all the working parts and since they are not an expensive speaker, we will see how it goes.

Jay Marr

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 09:43:21 PM »

Thanks,

Really don't see much out there about them, but since I have all the working parts and since they are not an expensive speaker, we will see how it goes.

I called QSC once to ask some questions about the E12, because there wasn't much info on the web at the time.
The person I spoke with (who was from support) said that with the proper DSP settings (which they will give you), they were a step up from the KW series.
I like the KW's, and I own plenty of DSP, so I really considered them.  I was/am still skeptical of his comments though.
I never ended up buying them because I found zero user reviews at the time.
Still wonder if I would have liked them....

Steve Crump

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 10:45:37 PM »

I called QSC once to ask some questions about the E12, because there wasn't much info on the web at the time.
The person I spoke with (who was from support) said that with the proper DSP settings (which they will give you), they were a step up from the KW series.
I like the KW's, and I own plenty of DSP, so I really considered them.  I was/am still skeptical of his comments though.
I never ended up buying them because I found zero user reviews at the time.
Still wonder if I would have liked them....

I will let you know my impression of the E15. I may even try a YouTube video. It will be several days before I can.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 11:08:08 PM »

I will let you know my impression of the E15. I may even try a YouTube video. It will be several days before I can.

If you do a video on a speaker may I suggest that you do not try to demonstrate the actual functionality of the speaker.  Use the video to highly features and design.

Take measurements and share them.

Lastly conclude with personal impressions not just of sonic qualities but build, usability, anything a potential buyer may find useful.

You can't judge a speaker listening through another speaker. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve Crump

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 03:43:59 PM »

If you do a video on a speaker may I suggest that you do not try to demonstrate the actual functionality of the speaker.  Use the video to highly features and design.

Take measurements and share them.

Lastly conclude with personal impressions not just of sonic qualities but build, usability, anything a potential buyer may find useful.

You can't judge a speaker listening through another speaker.

Scott,

Might be fun. I know sometimes I really can't find good reviews on some items that I am looking for and I wish I could.  It may be a while because I just bought a system from Jeff at JTR and I want to try those out first and my first show is June 3rd and I am taking this coming weekend off.

Justin Quinn

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 06:28:49 PM »

I just wondered if anyone has tried out the QSC "E" series passive speakers. I know in this price range you can get active (Yamaha DBR) and I know the pros and cons. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with the QSC "E" series.
I have a QSC Touchmix and a couple GXD8 power amps that I was thinking about turning into a rental unit and the mixer and amp both have default settings for the "E" series.
I know that I can sell the amps and just buy powered, but I also have some EV EKX subs that are passive that I can pair with the tops as part of the rental. So, I am really in the market to complete the setup I have in hand.
 Finding anyone talking about the "E" series (other than marketing hype) is tough....

Adding this for anyone looking at this thread considering E series boxes.  We have 2 E12s, 2 E110s, and an E18SW.  Long story short these are great speakers for the money, they sound much better than you think they would for the cost.

We have been using the E18SW for 2 years now, it pushes bass out evenly in all directions and it travels pretty well.  It sounds similar to a KW181 and is every bit as loud with a good amp behind it, around 1,600 - 2,000 will do the trick.  Interesting thing to note is that it has a 4-ohm driver.  We have used this for everything from corporate to outdoor festivals, we've never been disappointed with it.

We have had the E12s for about a year and a half and have been really impressed.  They're definitely a step above the K12.  Their wood enclosure sounds very natural.  If you use a good amp with these (we use a PLX3602) these suckers can get loud.  The presets that are in the touchmixes and GXD amps are useless, just useless.  EQ them by ear and you'll get way better results.  You're going to need to cut back the high end around 5k. They are clear as day.

The E110s are fairly new additions, we added them this summer.  They also are impressive little boxes.  Again with a decent amp they can get loud, and they seem to have a flatter frequency response than the E12s, you don't need to do as much EQ work get them to sound up to snuff.  They are clear as day also.

Overall we have gotten a lot of compliments on this system from other sound engineers passing by that were impressed by the clarity and volume we could get out of these boxes.  Of course a good amp is key, we use PLX amps on the tops and PL amps on the subs which definitely help.

Steve Crump

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 07:19:04 PM »

Overall we have gotten a lot of compliments on this system from other sound engineers passing by that were impressed by the clarity and volume we could get out of these boxes.  Of course a good amp is key, we use PLX amps on the tops and PL amps on the subs which definitely help.
[/quote]

I purchased two of the E15s and four of the E110s. My first and only experience in the wild with the E15s was after a guest engineer damaged drivers in the QRx 115s we have hanging at a venue. I dropped the QRx and put the E15s up until we could fix the QRx. I thought they sounded great in that room, of course this wasn't really putting them the paces, the room is small.

I had one E15 setup next to a 3TX running recorded music through them at my shop one day, just playing around, low volumes, flat eqs, I just wanted to do a quick hearing comparison, well a musician that I know and respect, who has always has had an ear for the smallest details came by, (he wasn't there to listen, just came by to see me) This guy really doesn't care about PA gear at all, he is more into lyrics and musicianship. I had been listening back and forth for about 30 minutes and I thought the 3TX sounded much better, a little more forward sounding, anyway when he walked up I asked his thoughts and he said, "the one on the right sounds much clearer to me", it was the E15. Subjective I guess...

I still think the 3TX sounded much better and it wasn't like we were running a real test or outside pushing the cabinets for all that they have to offer, but it did surprise me. The E15 did have this sound at those levels 30-40' away like the band was in the cabinet, cohesive might be the way to describe it.

Really I should carry them out and put them through the paces, but I haven't had an opportunity where I felt like they were a good choice. Of course, until I really try them, how can I really know. lol...

The E110s replaced some EV SX250s as monitors at the venue, me personally I like the 250s better, but the guy, who at that time ran sound for most of the shows liked the E110s better. He was also the house guitarist for some jams and actually was on the receiving end of the sound on stage, so I have to give credence to what he has to say.

Justin Quinn

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 08:49:33 PM »

I purchased two of the E15s and four of the E110s. My first and only experience in the wild with the E15s was after a guest engineer damaged drivers in the QRx 115s we have hanging at a venue. I dropped the QRx and put the E15s up until we could fix the QRx. I thought they sounded great in that room, of course this wasn't really putting them the paces, the room is small.

I had one E15 setup next to a 3TX running recorded music through them at my shop one day, just playing around, low volumes, flat eqs, I just wanted to do a quick hearing comparison, well a musician that I know and respect, who has always has had an ear for the smallest details came by, (he wasn't there to listen, just came by to see me) This guy really doesn't care about PA gear at all, he is more into lyrics and musicianship. I had been listening back and forth for about 30 minutes and I thought the 3TX sounded much better, a little more forward sounding, anyway when he walked up I asked his thoughts and he said, "the one on the right sounds much clearer to me", it was the E15. Subjective I guess...

I still think the 3TX sounded much better and it wasn't like we were running a real test or outside pushing the cabinets for all that they have to offer, but it did surprise me. The E15 did have this sound at those levels 30-40' away like the band was in the cabinet, cohesive might be the way to describe it.

Really I should carry them out and put them through the paces, but I haven't had an opportunity where I felt like they were a good choice. Of course, until I really try them, how can I really know. lol...

The E110s replaced some EV SX250s as monitors at the venue, me personally I like the 250s better, but the guy, who at that time ran sound for most of the shows liked the E110s better. He was also the house guitarist for some jams and actually was on the receiving end of the sound on stage, so I have to give credence to what he has to say.
Both of the cabinets you mention are quite a bit more expensive, so I would hope they sound better.
I suppose my point is that the E series boxes offer great sound quality for the cost and perform better than the "K12 class" of portable PA speakers.

Most importantly for me, they're better than what my competition has, and that's all that matters.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 08:49:33 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.