ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A year later still looking for a Mac based visual console....  (Read 5552 times)

Sean Mormelo

I need an effects engine, midi show control/midi controllable (ableton will fire cues and scenes). Can't be something where I'm typing in numbers etc. I come from visual timeline based background with audio and video. I thought Luminaire on IPad was it but no Palettes. Deal breaker. Any suggestions? Showxpress looked good but seems to lack Midi. Same thing with DPro..MyDMX3 looks right up my alley but may be really wonky and buggy at this time....need something solid with minimal learning curve functionally as far as the software. I've consulted MANY "pros" and no one seems to have answers as they usually know their own one or 2 ultra high end consoles only. Vexed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Olsen

• Canberra, Australia
Re: A year later still looking for a Mac based visual console....
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 08:44:32 AM »

I the church world Jands Vista is very popular .. it is what you describe, visual based with lots of click and palette programming. It is Mac based, and if you really want, you can add control surfaces to it. Jands will trigger from MIDI cues and I've successfully integrated it with QLab, so I can't imagine Ableton would be too difficult.

The software itself is free, so you download and test away. Without a dongle it will just blank out all the lights at random intervals.

I have no affiliation with Jands, other than its from Australia, like me, and I like to see Aussie companies do well.

Mark

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 11:41:56 AM »

I'm currently using Dpro with MIDI. Why do you say it lacks MIDI?

Graham Spice

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 04:53:26 PM »

I need an effects engine, midi show control/midi controllable (ableton will fire cues and scenes). Can't be something where I'm typing in numbers etc. I come from visual timeline based background with audio and video. I thought Luminaire on IPad was it but no Palettes. Deal breaker. Any suggestions? Showxpress looked good but seems to lack Midi. Same thing with DPro..MyDMX3 looks right up my alley but may be really wonky and buggy at this time....need something solid with minimal learning curve functionally as far as the software. I've consulted MANY "pros" and no one seems to have answers as they usually know their own one or 2 ultra high end consoles only. Vexed...

Have you looked at Lightkey? That's the only commercial Mac DMX console that I'm aware of.

David Buckley

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 08:30:06 PM »

By "mac" do you mean iPad, or "proper" Mac computers?

For "proper" Macs, MagicQ springs to mind, but you'll need their MIDI interface, it cant (or rather, wont) operate with the host's integrated interfaces, at least on Windows it doesn't so I assume its the same on the mac.

Off the wall suggestion: Lanbox. 

Sean Mormelo

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 08:31:06 PM »

I'm currently using Dpro with MIDI. Why do you say it lacks MIDI?

How are you using it? I couldn't find anywhere that it has MSC. I want to fire scenes, and cues from Ableton. I was unable to find where to make that happen in the software.

Sean Mormelo

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 08:33:50 PM »

Have you looked at Lightkey? That's the only commercial Mac DMX console that I'm aware of.

Yes I messed around with it. A little glitchy but looks cool.

Sean Mormelo

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 09:11:04 PM »

By "mac" do you mean iPad, or "proper" Mac computers?

For "proper" Macs, MagicQ springs to mind, but you'll need their MIDI interface, it cant (or rather, wont) operate with the host's integrated interfaces, at least on Windows it doesn't so I assume its the same on the mac.

Off the wall suggestion: Lanbox.

Wasn't the kind of visual based software I was interested in but whatever gets me up and running the quickest. I'm game. It has to have the ability to be able to be fired from Ableton Via MTC

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 10:43:16 PM »

How are you using it? I couldn't find anywhere that it has MSC. I want to fire scenes, and cues from Ableton. I was unable to find where to make that happen in the software.

I'm currently using it w a MIDI foot switch, not software coms. Haven't tried it that way. You could visit the dmxis/dpro forums and poke around. A number of MIDI solutions have been discussed.

James Feenstra

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 09:58:50 AM »

I the church world Jands Vista is very popular .. it is what you describe, visual based with lots of click and palette programming. It is Mac based, and if you really want, you can add control surfaces to it. Jands will trigger from MIDI cues and I've successfully integrated it with QLab, so I can't imagine Ableton would be too difficult.

The software itself is free, so you download and test away. Without a dongle it will just blank out all the lights at random intervals.

I have no affiliation with Jands, other than its from Australia, like me, and I like to see Aussie companies do well.

Mark
yep...

Technically I'm affiliated with jands (my names in the credits and I was the North American support rep for a couple years), but it definitely does what you're asking for
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 09:58:50 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.