ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dammmn -need suggestion/s: lightweight-high OUTput sub(s)  (Read 5917 times)

Earl F Young

Dammmn -need suggestion/s: lightweight-high OUTput sub(s)
« on: May 16, 2017, 08:50:19 PM »

So, I am either too late (or maybe early) and cannot get the 2x18" subs   99#each :-\ I really wanted.
Would like to shed weight and i'm used to TurboSound single 18cabs that are small-medium duty.
Need to get into med-large format. NOT loyal to brand; since this is all I need. Ruler*flat is not necessary- but would like to get a -3dB rated box of 35Hz or so.
Usage: live reinforcement (NOT d.j)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Dammmn -need suggestion/s: lightweight-high OUTput sub(s)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »

Danley BC218. Should be well within the budget you gave.  They are about the weight of a shed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Dammmn -need suggestion/s: lightweight-high OUTput sub(s)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 09:12:47 PM »

So, I am either too late (or maybe early) and cannot get the 2x18" subs   99#each :-\ I really wanted.
Would like to shed weight and i'm used to TurboSound single 18cabs that are small-medium duty.
Need to get into med-large format. NOT loyal to brand; since this is all I need. Ruler*flat is not necessary- but would like to get a -3dB rated box of 35Hz or so.
Usage: live reinforcement (NOT d.j)
You REALLY need to consider that the "-3dB" stands for.

It is a term many use-yet have no idea what it means.

To mean anything useful, it should be -3dB from the rated sensitivity.  And that is ACTUALLY 3dB down, NOT 3dB down from the +/- 3dB (giving a 6dB "flat" window).

There are some boxes who's "rated -3dB point" is 10-20dB below the rated sensitivity.

Sure, it will reproduce that freq, just not as loud as you would "think" it should be.

LOOK CLOSELY at the UNPROCESSED response curve.

If the curve involves processing, then most likely there is a bump at the bottom.  So the applied voltage at the -3dB point is much higher (sometimes 10dB or more) than the voltage at higher freq.

So the "-3dB" point doesn't really mean anything.

And if it is processed, then you MUST take the level of dB boost AWAY from the maximum SPL capability at those freq-because it cannot come up as much as the higher freq can.

Lightweight and a real -3dB at 35Hz and medium/high output is not going to be easy to find.

Sure you can get some lightweight boxes that are a true -3dB at 35Hz, but the sensitivity is not going to be very high.

If you are willing t accept a higher -3dB point, then the weight/size goes down.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 11:55:44 PM »

Maybe I missed it, but can you tell us what mass you're trying to shave weight from?  If you're moving from single 18's to double 18's, no marketing voodoo will find you a lighter box without some kind of compromise you won't like. 

Do you need it to be moveable with one person, including stairs?  Do you need to lift it up into the back of a pickup by yourself?  Why does it need to be light, and how light does it need to be?  So far you've left it pretty wide open except the driver complement.  Any other considerations? 

What don't you like about the particular products you've heard so far? There are a lot of smart people on these forums who are very generous with their time, but they will need more than what you've provided to give you any kind of meaningful recommendations.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Earl F Young

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 01:12:37 AM »

Maybe I missed it, but can you tell us what mass you're trying to shave weight from?  If you're moving from single 18's to double 18's, no marketing voodoo will find you a lighter box without some kind of compromise you won't like. 
[/quote
A dual 18"  loaded can should do what I need- but a unwieldy 160+ pound box with minimal assist is ::)

[quote
Do you need it to be moveable with one person, including stairs?  Do you need to lift it up into the back of a pickup by yourself?  Why does it need to be light, and how light does it need to be?  So far you've left it pretty wide open except the driver complement.  Any other considerations? 
[/quote
Either a smart design like the nexo AlphaS2 wheelboard/faceplate -or something that lands in place would be ideal.
[quote
What don't you like about the particular products you've heard so far? There are a lot of smart people on these forums who are very generous with their time, but they will need more than what you've provided to give you any kind of meaningful recommendations.
I don't want a "punchy" sound -like a dual 15"on steroids >:(
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:18:16 AM by Earl F Young »

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 03:35:15 AM »

Nexo S2s weigh around 90kg each. I'm not too familiar with Freedom Units when it comes to weight, but that's around 200lbs. They're reasonably easy to move around on the floor, but there's a good reason we only stacked them once.

If weight is a concern, then I assume the issue is moving the boxes around. If so, get a pile of 1x18"s and call it good. You'll need twice as many trips to the van, and twice as many cables, but most 1x18" subs are a manageable lift. If there won't be any stairs, strap two together and put them on a trolley.

For live music, I don't think you need an actual -3dB of 35Hz. You could shrink your cabinet size requirements a lot by compromising there and aiming for solid 50Hz extension. A 2x15" running to 50Hz would be about as loud as a 2x18" running to 35Hz (simulated ported boxes for both, aiming for ~flat responses to the specified frequency, B&C 18SW115 vs Beyma 15P1200Nd, both within Xmax). Sure, the system will sound much "bigger" with 35Hz extension, but if weight is the biggest priority then something else is gonna have to give.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 07:48:27 AM »

If weight is a concern, then I assume the issue is moving the boxes around. If so, get a pile of 1x18"s and call it good. You'll need twice as many trips to the van, and twice as many cables, but most 1x18" subs are a manageable lift. If there won't be any stairs, strap two together and put them on a trolley.

+1

@Earl - the laws of physics are against you.  Light weight and solid sub performance tend to be polar opposites.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 09:43:16 AM »

@Earl - the laws of physics are against you.  Light weight and solid sub performance tend to be polar opposites.

Dave

I don't know... THe TH118 seems pretty powerful for its weight/size ;)

Mr. Earl Young, I'm really confused as to the requirements you are looking for.
What we're all looking for is a few simple qualifying metrics to hone in on an appropriate sub for you.

Weight: (<200lbs/90kg?)
Size:
Output SPL: (137dB continuous?)
Price:
Other constraints: (has to be rider friendly, eg 2x18?)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 10:52:17 AM »

Lots and lots of bang in limited space and kgs?

EAW Otto.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 11:29:21 AM »

Lots and lots of bang in limited space and kgs?

EAW Otto.

Small yes/perhaps, 210lbs/95kg light weight?
Depends on perspective.

Extra features that are possibly not necessary for OP, yes.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 12:00:07 PM »

With the 50 hz box you will also find that Harmonics will be your friend.  50 hz played back will have a 2nd harmonic above and below.  25 hz and 100 hz.  They will be down by  6 db depending on many variables.   

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 01:30:32 PM »

As mentioned, the TH118 delivers the performance. A couple of powered subs to consider:

RCF TTS26A dual 15".
http://www.rcf.it/products/touring-and-theatre/tts26-a

BassBoss SSP118 single 18".
https://www.bassboss.com/product/ssp118-powered-subwoofer/

(You can do a little better than the online pricing)
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 02:46:55 PM »

I'm not quite sure how small of a footprint/lightweight you're looking to go, but depending upon where you'd like to run the subs, I'd take a look at JTR.

Captivator 212S has crazy output and is a 2x12 that weighs 75-pounds.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/JTR-Speakers-305310779622400/photos/?tab=album&album_id=856077091212430

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=863158310504308&id=305310779622400&substory_index=0

The Captivator 118S Pro is a bit larger but is tuned to 18Hz:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/JTR-Speakers-305310779622400/photos/?tab=album&album_id=856086594544813

The JTR Orbit Shifters have serious output as well, but are larger and heavier, still. We have a bunch of them and love them.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 04:03:08 AM »

With the 50 hz box you will also find that Harmonics will be your friend.  50 hz played back will have a 2nd harmonic above and below.  25 hz and 100 hz.  They will be down by  6 db depending on many variables.   

Hi,
Do you have a source for the notion of harmonics being generated below the fundamental please?
That goes against all I've ever learned on the subject.
Thanks,
David.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 04:25:13 AM »

Hi,
Do you have a source for the notion of harmonics being generated below the fundamental please?
That goes against all I've ever learned on the subject.
Thanks,
David.

Me too.
It's possible that you might think you hear 25Hz, but you certainly won't feel it as if it's actually there. Have a read up on MaxxBass.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mike Hedden

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 06:56:52 AM »

Danley BC218. Should be well within the budget you gave.  They are about the weight of a shed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rim shot please!😜 Thats funny!

Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 06:56:52 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.