ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: diy single 18"s and OS  (Read 10146 times)

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
Re: diy single 18"s and OS
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 06:50:45 PM »

They are 23 1/4 x 23 1/4 x 29 1/2 D.   15mm BB cabinet, triangular corner ports, and braces, 18mm BB baffle.  91 lbs everything included

Mark, those look fantastic. 3 years ago I had a cabinet make me a pair that are almost exactly like these.  I loaded them with some RCF 18P400 and they are my go to for shows where we are going to have 150 or less.  These are for small Corp customers with live acts.  I am always amazed at the amount of low end that they produce.

Great job and good luck with them.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 08:07:48 PM »

Bill, many thanks for the kind words !

I too, am a little amazed at how low, and without any holes, they go. 
I love my horn loaded subs, but it's almost like these direct radiators impart a texture to the bass that you can feel, along with the hearing. And it ain't distortion.... :)
I wanna build a block of them haha !

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 08:38:15 PM »

Good job Mark! The boxes look great. I like your comparison to the OS's. Have you used them together at an event yet?

For my use I find single 18's offer the most flexibility. I've got 12 in the inventory now.

What is it about subs, when I see someone do a successful DIY project I have the urge to start making saw dust even though that's the last thing I need more of right now.    :D

Thank you Don !  Good to hear from you.
Yes, I used them at a VT graduation party this weekend with a single JTR 3TX.  (PM60 would have been overkill  ;) )
I had both the subs on one channel of a PL380 and the 3TX on the other.  It all sounded super till it came time to really crank VT's fight song, Enter Sandman.
Still sounded super...just wished I had 4 subs....but a 3TX is good for a pair of OS's, so of course I needed more subs...

Hey your urge to build, and comment about 12 in inventory, are about to get me making more sawdust  ;D

edit :  I realized you were probably asking if I have used the diy 18"s with the OS, on an event yet....
Not yet for an event, but a band manager came by yesterday afternoon to check out what I can offer...
Since I had the subs already setup in the driveway for testing, I just threw a top on the sub combo betting it would work as well at volume, as in testing.
If it didn't deliver at volume I was going to pull out another OS.
But happily, it worked and sounded, excellent.

The more I think about, the more i get convinced combining different type subs shouldn't be that hard.....the wave lengths are huge.....if anything can be coupled it ought to be subs..
I mean, if they are located together, and the exact same HPF and LPF types, orders, and frequencies, are used on all the subs so that there isn't any electrical crossover phase difference, well....
.....all we have left to align is the natural phase difference of the sub type, and maybe some physical distance offset.
It shouldn't take that much FIR, if all we're trying to align is the natural phase difference between sub types. I just can't see latency being a problem.
Maybe it's a cheap way to couple existing sub inventory across different type boxes ....?????
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:44:13 AM by Mark Wilkinson »

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 01:36:28 PM »

Mark I just noticed that one of the ways you were able to keep weight down was by using 15mm BB. Are you happy with that decision now that they are built? Were you able to keep cabinet vibration to a minimum via internal bracing?

It may be a way I'll proceed if you were successful.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 03:53:24 PM »

Mark I just noticed that one of the ways you were able to keep weight down was by using 15mm BB. Are you happy with that decision now that they are built? Were you able to keep cabinet vibration to a minimum via internal bracing?

It may be a way I'll proceed if you were successful.

Hi Bill, yes, I am happy with 15mm and would do it again. 

That said, the boxes do vibrate a lot when really cranked, but I doubt 18mm would make much of a difference.

I've read that doubling wall thickness reduces deflection by 1/4th, but reducing span by 1/2 reduces deflection by 1/8th. 
So IOW, deflection vs thickness is a squared function, span vs deflection is a cubic function.
To me this means, think about more about bracing than wall thickness....but disclaimer .....I AM A COMPLETE NOVICE here.......

FWIW, the triangular corner ports were a big part of the bracing trumps idea....

Don Davis

• So Cal
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 04:45:03 PM »

The more I think about, the more i get convinced combining different type subs shouldn't be that hard.....the wave lengths are huge.....if anything can be coupled it ought to be subs..
I mean, if they are located together, and the exact same HPF and LPF types, orders, and frequencies, are used on all the subs so that there isn't any electrical crossover phase difference, well....
.....all we have left to align is the natural phase difference of the sub type, and maybe some physical distance offset.
It shouldn't take that much FIR, if all we're trying to align is the natural phase difference between sub types. I just can't see latency being a problem.
Maybe it's a cheap way to couple existing sub inventory across different type boxes ....?????
Yes, sorry I wasn't clear but I was wondering if you had used the OS's and single 18's together. I have seen a lot posts that say don't mix and match but if you approach it as you have with analysis and testing what have you got to lose in trying. You can always check for cancellations in Smaart. I'll bet you can get them to play nice together.

Jeff Permanian

• JTR Speakers Inc.
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 05:58:25 PM »

I built a pair of vented single 18"s, for the occasions when I just plain need to be able to carry a smaller sub than an Orbitshifter or Labhorn into place.                             

The Orbit Shifter does have a 10db output advantage 40hz and above which is equal to three drivers. I definitely understand size being an issue which is one of the reasons for our new Captivator 212.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 05:58:25 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.