ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Shipping/Returning gear to Canada from U.S.  (Read 5842 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Shipping/Returning gear to Canada from U.S.
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 01:20:49 PM »

I would imagine your paperwork will go through faster without using the term "Canduckastans"
I presume you meant to say "Canuckastans" but that too is in poor taste.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 02:57:25 PM »

Yeah, that might be the case, but who is responsible for figuring out what? If *I* am working for a US company, then //someone else// is working for the Canadian company, which means they're probably the ones who need to arrange things.

Either way, the details involved with this are not disclosed on their website, and the only phone number I could find clearly stated for use in Canada only. So, it's a challenge. I know for a company that's done it before, no problem, but if you're trying to learn....
Also things that should be well disclosed in their customs/immigration websites, but aren't. I am clearly not experienced with this, so having a one stop place where you can get the requisite information would be nice. And especially when you start wondering, say, why the FCC needs to be involved. Or the FDA. Is wireless more restrictive in Canada? And wouldn't the Canadian equivalent need to be involved, rather than the FCC?

-Ray

FCC is for anything that has wireless transmission.
FDA is for Declaration for imported electronic products subject to radiation control standards. You will need to know name, address of manufacturing site and country of origin. Along with that you will need the address of where the equipment is going, product description, quantities and model numbers. Ex: laptops, lcd monitors, projectors etc...
Equipment moving in and out of Canada/USA also needs a temporary import bond. This Bond must also be closed once equipment has been returned to country of origin.
You will also need to provide a letter stating your residential address and where you are staying on your trip/event, someone needs to be responsible for the equipment. The letter SHOULD also say you are crossing the border to SUPERVISE staff, you have a relationship with the client and are being paid in the currency from country of origin or else you will need a work Visa.

Have a look here http://www.affiliated.ca/content.aspx?lang=en-CA&content=4_1  maybe you can find something similar for the US.

Edit: https://www.pcb.ca/education.cfm?Seminar=523
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 03:00:00 PM by Steve Ferreira »

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 04:14:07 PM »

Not needed for musicians and crews going to Canada for gigs and staying less than 2 weeks.
http://www.cfmusicians.org/uploads/file/FA%20Info%20Sheet%202015(1).pdf

A little side bar here... is there reciprocity for Canadians performing in the USA for say a one nighter?

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 08:45:28 PM »

A little side bar here... is there reciprocity for Canadians performing in the USA for say a one nighter?
Nope. You might not have noticed, but they hates us damn foreigners stealing their jobs! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 11:06:54 PM »

Nope. You might not have noticed, but they hates us damn foreigners stealing their jobs! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Naw, it's about the plywood.  54-40 or fight!  8)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »

I have always needed a work visa. In the old days the musicians union did a temp visa for one nighters, but that has gone away as far as i know.

James Feenstra

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 07:27:51 PM »

Here's the official website regarding exactly what you're looking for:
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-89-427/page-1.html

Realistically you'll want a temporary import bond (carnet), which basically states that because whatever is being imported isn't being left in the country, you're not required to pay taxes on it.

Any decent customs broker should be able to work one of these up relatively easily for you. For anything I send down to the US from Canada, I typically use IMEX customs, as they deal with a LOT of the big entertainment companies in regards to touring/moving gear across the border.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 07:27:51 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.