ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ethernet over power  (Read 4749 times)

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
Ethernet over power
« on: May 16, 2017, 07:39:47 AM »

Has anyone used ethernet over power to connect a laptop and/or control surface to the mixer? It seems like a more reliable connection than Wi-FI for a dedicated FOH position.

Something like: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XGKBL3R/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

With a laptop and X-Touch.

Thanks,

David

Robert Lofgren

Re: Ethernet over power
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 12:10:53 PM »

Yes, I have several times connected the xtouch and laptops to the x32 and xr18 using ethernet over power. It has worked really great!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 03:28:31 PM by Robert Lofgren »

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 01:51:18 PM »

Wait.......

David (OP) said Ethernet over Power

Robert said Power over Ethernet

What's going on?!?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 03:29:51 PM »

Oooops...  :-[  I've edited my text.

Ethernet over power it is  8)

Wait.......

David (OP) said Ethernet over Power

Robert said Power over Ethernet

What's going on?!?

-Ray

Lyle Williams

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 03:42:55 PM »

Why do people think powerline ethernet is more reliable than wifi?  From an engineering point of view, the opposite is true.

Power lines are a very hostile and noisy environment for signals.  Many other devices are using capacitors to try and supress any high frequency content.  Power leads are not built with MHz transmission in mind.  Most of the powerline ethernet signal is radiated as RF interference to others.

I'm not saying it can't work, but it's a dud and fading technology.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 04:38:50 PM »

Why do people think powerline ethernet is more reliable than wifi?  From an engineering point of view, the opposite is true.

Power lines are a very hostile and noisy environment for signals.  Many other devices are using capacitors to try and supress any high frequency content.  Power leads are not built with MHz transmission in mind.  Most of the powerline ethernet signal is radiated as RF interference to others.

The same reason they think that two speakers are better than one.  I doubt the vast majority of users understands Powerline as coupled RF product using unknown infrastructure as the transmission media.  Worse it's old wireless technology with OFDM modulation that is a decade behind a 5Gghz MIMO device.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 07:05:03 PM »

Which is exactly why I posted in a forum full of smart folks. My subject of expertise is not Mhz transmission. Thank you for your input. I truly appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

David

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 02:43:16 AM »

I've never had a single issue with my av2 mimo based powerline for this type of rather low bandwidth application other than that due to its size they may cover the outlet next to it.

Wifi on the other hand...  :o

I suggest that you try it for yourself to see if it fits your application and environment. Just make sure that you don't connect it to a powerstrip with builtin filtering as this will reduce the powerline performance.

Which is exactly why I posted in a forum full of smart folks. My subject of expertise is not Mhz transmission. Thank you for your input. I truly appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

David

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 04:28:01 PM »

I have used both.

Given the amount of wifi interference at a typical venue, I would think powerline ethernet could be more dependable for low bandwidth use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Ianevans

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 03:08:02 AM »

I could sure that i used to be to connect it for several times even though its not too flexible. I am using XR18 connected to computer by using Windows 8 and sometimes having a connection losing issue. That is why i did not test it again.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 03:08:02 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.