ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ~$15k - 4k Wishing List  (Read 9934 times)

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: ~$15k - 4k Wishing List
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 12:02:03 PM »

It appears that the highest frame rate the cameras you have species will do at 4K is 30p.  I'd want 60 fps (p or i) for motion.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 01:26:50 PM »

I have found a manual wipe handle to be useful about 10% of the time when a special long fade is required.  For normal switching, a button with variable fade time is much more useful as it allows your fades to be consistent.  I would not base a purchasing decision on this feature if it were me.

Note that BlackMagic just came out with the ATEM Television Pro Studio HD (scroll down):

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/atemtelevisionstudiohd

This does have a physical fader.

I agree with the other posters - 4K isn't going to be practical for 10 years, and even the difference between 1280x720 and 1920x1080 is rarely perceived in a live situation with projectors.  I would not make a purchase decision based on needing 4K anything.

We just finished 6 fly dates with the ATEM HD (Thanks Nathan Riddle for the loan as they are on wait list) I am not sure a knob would be considered a physical fader.  The external control unit is pricey, double the cost of the switcher.  I had no trouble adapting to the touch screen workflow
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 01:28:30 PM »

We just finished 6 fly dates with the ATEM HD (Thanks Nathan Riddle for the loan as they are on wait list) I am not sure a knob would be considered a physical fader.  The external control unit is pricey, double the cost of the switcher.  I had no trouble adapting to the touch screen workflow
Are we talking about the same thing?

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 01:34:14 PM »

Are we talking about the same thing?

No we are not, that is super cool.  Wow, wish that was available before I bought mine.

Update on opinion.  If you can swing the 2k go for the new model with the physical surface.  It's not just the johnson bar, one touch access to the sizzles/wipes is a workflow saver too. 

One thing you should know about the ATEM.  The AUX output is useful but it doesn't support transition effects.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

jabney (john abney)

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 02:16:11 PM »

No we are not, that is super cool.  Wow, wish that was available before I bought mine.

Update on opinion.  If you can swing the 2k go for the new model with the physical surface.  It's not just the johnson bar, one touch access to the sizzles/wipes is a workflow saver too. 

One thing you should know about the ATEM.  The AUX output is useful but it doesn't support transition effects.
So you folks have me convinced about not worrying too much with 4k - especially with the new HD Blackmagic Design ATEM Television Studio Pro HD Live Production Switcher.

And what does that button do? The one that says, "PTZ" near the six unlabelled buttons next to the unlabelled large circular control? The RCA controllers for the Wild Shot Camera CPT 1019 Pan Tilt System probably work, but if the new Blackmagic ATAM Pro HD has some sort of built-in PTZ control, that could make the work-space neater. I've bookmarked the site and now just wait for the details.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 02:23:14 PM by jabney (john abney) »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 02:28:13 PM »

So you folks have me convinced about not worrying too much with 4k - especially with the new HD Blackmagic Design ATEM Television Studio Pro HD Live Production Switcher.

And what does that button do? The one that says, "PTZ" near the six unlabelled buttons next to the unlabelled large circular control? The RCA controllers for the Wild Shot Camera CPT 1019 Pan Tilt System probably work, but if the new Blackmagic ATAM Pro HD has some sort of built-in PTZ control, that could make the work-space neater. I've bookmarked the site and now just wait for the details.
The manual is here.  Check out pages 92 and following.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 03:36:17 PM »

The manual is here.  Check out pages 92 and following.

Not only is there the manual that covers the PTZ and Tally interface options but there are also external translators that allow DMX control. 

I am able to fire FTB and preview selection via Ableton over MIDI.  It is very cool.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 03:55:41 PM »

exactly.  1080p is just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just sucks when the customer asks for it and your competition has it.
-heard the exact same thing said about HD years ago.
-also heard the same thing said about Line Arrays

Yes waiting means it will get cheaper.
-But then how many possible shows do you have to miss before you finally upgrade. 

However only you will know if the value of those missed shows and lost clients equals or exceeds the savings on gear you get from waiting.

If it truly is "hype" then when starting from scratch, a good way to start is to buy the used gear from someone established who's bought into the "hype" and is upgrading.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 04:27:32 PM »

Just sucks when the customer asks for it and your competition has it.
-heard the exact same thing said about HD years ago.
-also heard the same thing said about Line Arrays

Yes waiting means it will get cheaper.
-But then how many possible shows do you have to miss before you finally upgrade. 

However only you will know if the value of those missed shows and lost clients equals or exceeds the savings on gear you get from waiting.

If it truly is "hype" then when starting from scratch, a good way to start is to buy the used gear from someone established who's bought into the "hype" and is upgrading.

You have clients willing to pay for 4k projectors?  If you do then by all means by a 4k switcher.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 04:28:20 PM »

You have clients willing to pay for 4k projectors?  If you do then by all means by a 4k switcher.

I was thinking the same thing....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 04:28:20 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.