ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: BBE 382i with Mackie Thump 12's and Thump 18s Subwoofer  (Read 10134 times)

Joshua Prentice

BBE 382i with Mackie Thump 12's and Thump 18s Subwoofer
« on: May 16, 2017, 12:33:00 AM »

Hey Guys. Was hoping to get some insight on this.
So I just added a Thump 18s to my live setup. I haven't tested it yet, but my main worry is that I use a BBE 382i Sonic Maximizer for my PAs.

Will the Sonic Maximizer still function normally now that it is connecting through my Thump 18s Subwoofer, which outputs to both Mackie PAs? I would assume so, but I wanted to see if I'll run into any issues when I test out this weekend.

Thank you all for the help!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: BBE 382i with Mackie Thump 12's and Thump 18s Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 12:55:24 AM »

Hey Guys. Was hoping to get some insight on this.
So I just added a Thump 18s to my live setup. I haven't tested it yet, but my main worry is that I use a BBE 382i Sonic Maximizer for my PAs.

Will the Sonic Maximizer still function normally now that it is connecting through my Thump 18s Subwoofer, which outputs to both Mackie PAs? I would assume so, but I wanted to see if I'll run into any issues when I test out this weekend.

Thank you all for the help!

Sigh - Please update your user name to your real name, the moderators lock all threads that don't conform to the policy.

The policy is at the top of every page and when you signed in.

I will give you a freebie.  The only time a Mackie Thump does any thumping is when it hits the dumpster.  Those are not well regarded equipment.  Any sub takes work off the mains so if it's all you got run it.

Second, Sonic Maximizers are not well regarded, in fact no post-processing is.  I suggest you remove that from your signal chain.  If you need to add compression or equalization to obtain the results you are looking for there are more appropriate places in the signal chain.

Fix your name so we can help you on your journey.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Derek Neu

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 10:43:22 PM »

Why in the heck isn't this checked when the account is approved?  How many years will this be an issue before you make it a requirement on getting an account?

sigh while I shake my head.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 10:50:07 PM »

Why in the heck isn't this checked when the account is approved?  How many years will this be an issue before you make it a requirement on getting an account?

sigh while I shake my head.

Derek - not all the forums on PSW require the individual's full, real name. Recording forum does not; Live Sound does. 
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 10:57:02 PM »

Joshua, the "Sonic Maximizer" has what I consider to be some dishonest labeling. The "bypass" button is not a true bypass - instead it applies an intentionally crappy eq so that the device appears to do good things. It does not. Remove it from your signal path. It might be adequate as a doorstop, but not a good one.

There are various YouTube videos that show just how the "bypass" function applies the bad eq, if you are looking for a more detailed explanation and demonstration.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 11:23:41 PM »

Derek - not all the forums on PSW require the individual's full, real name. Recording forum does not; Live Sound does.
And to be absolutely specific, you're not required to use your Full Name to sign up; just in order to participate (post). If you're just reading and never posting, knock yourself out.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Thomas Le

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 11:40:48 PM »

Sigh - Please update your user name to your real name, the moderators lock all threads that don't conform to the policy.

The policy is at the top of every page and when you signed in.

I will give you a freebie.  The only time a Mackie Thump does any thumping is when it hits the dumpster.  Those are not well regarded equipment.  Any sub takes work off the mains so if it's all you got run it.

Second, Sonic Maximizers are not well regarded, in fact no post-processing is.  I suggest you remove that from your signal chain.  If you need to add compression or equalization to obtain the results you are looking for there are more appropriate places in the signal chain.

Fix your name so we can help you on your journey.

Echoing Scott's comment, OP should sell all of this equipment and start fresh. The Thumps go into Limit really easily and the Sonic Maximizer is all marketing while really messes with the signal chain.

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 04:18:57 PM »

Joshua, the "Sonic Maximizer" has what I consider to be some dishonest labeling. The "bypass" button is not a true bypass - instead it applies an intentionally crappy eq so that the device appears to do good things. It does not. Remove it from your signal path. It might be adequate as a doorstop, but not a good one.

There are various YouTube videos that show just how the "bypass" function applies the bad eq, if you are looking for a more detailed explanation and demonstration.

Oh yea? This guys seems to know better!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6fatjizjyU

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 05:05:09 PM »

Oh yea? This guys seems to know better!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6fatjizjyU
Fuck. Last week I built a filter to get rid of the triangles. What do i do now ?

Wow. Technical "knowledge" at it's best.
Chris
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Robert Lofgren

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 06:00:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.