ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Microphone Hangers  (Read 5388 times)

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
Microphone Hangers
« on: May 15, 2017, 05:37:07 PM »

I need to hang several mics from the ceiling, any suggestions on a rig that will remain stable i.e not swivel, i need to point at musicians /choir etc…some will be fixed from a grid others will fly in and out on a preset...

thx

Ray

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: Microphone Hangers
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 06:30:01 PM »

It takes some fiddling about to get them aimed, but A-T U853R choir mics will stay pointed in the same place throughout a show when hung from a batten.

You might be able to fabricate a similar wire bracket for other mics.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 06:32:03 PM »

I need to hang several mics from the ceiling, any suggestions on a rig that will remain stable i.e not swivel, i need to point at musicians /choir etc…some will be fixed from a grid others will fly in and out on a preset...

thx

Ray

What mics are you needing to hang?
There are quite a few hanging options.

When you say, the mics need to go in and out are they traveling on a batten so the cable can be fixed or do they need to be reeled or coiled in some way?

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 11:15:49 PM »

Hi Ray,

Years ago I did this several times for recording a symphony and choir.

8" Diameter cylindrical cardboard(Sonotube) ring was mounted in the grid.
A 1" x 1" x 12" stick was placed across the ring.
Mic cable was attached to the stick, mics(4041s) with a custom-bent wire hanger/tilter, were lowered with a fishing line pullback attached.
We rotated the stick to aim the mic, then tied off the pullback to keep it aimed.
Repeat for second mic in spaced pair.

Mic cable with a served(wrapped) shield will likely twist quite a bit.
Even braided shield cable can twist a little with temperature changes.
The stick allowed for re-aiming as needed.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

thx

Ray

Roland Clarke

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 01:55:05 AM »

thx

Ray

It's difficult.  Manufacturers like Schoeps and AT have hangers and in the case of Schoeps they even make a non twist hanging cable.  The reality is that all cable will twist and its a set, adjust, leave, adjust routine.  The only two ways round that are using a two or three point rig or a straight downward hang.

Your big problem, (as I see it) is the fact you are flying in and out on a bar, this is likely to upset your "aiming", really leaving you with limited option.  Straight down hang is the easy solution, but offers less isolation and gbf if it's a pa job, alternatively you can mount the mic's in a clip on a short bar hung with fishing wire in a "W" to hold direction.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:29:44 AM by Roland Clarke »

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 02:11:46 AM »

Neumann makes a hanger that grabs a mic cable and has a 5/8-27 stud on the other end.

I've got mics hanging using them 15-20' from Canare Star quad and once you let the mic settle it stays pretty well aimed. The longer you let it settle the better. I haven't touched mine I a year or more but I'm also not worried if they move a few degrees.

MikeHarris

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 04:17:08 AM »

Neumann makes a hanger that grabs a mic cable and has a 5/8-27 stud on the other end.

I've got mics hanging using them 15-20' from Canare Star quad and once you let the mic settle it stays pretty well aimed. The longer you let it settle the better. I haven't touched mine I a year or more but I'm also not worried if they move a few degrees.

MNV21...let's you hang higher quality mics like KM184 over choir

Roland Clarke

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 08:23:32 AM »

MNV21...let's you hang higher quality mics like KM184 over choir

These are great and Schoeps make a similar product.  My point is that it is fine in a fixed, stable, install, the OP mentioned that the bar would be flown in and out and I suspect that might throw a spanner in the works.

MikeHarris

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 08:46:09 AM »

Years ago there was a device known as ServoReelers made by Xedit...who also made great splicing blocks.
Seems as they're still available.

http://www.servoreelers.com/

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 11:27:17 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions, I've used petty much all of the options suggested except weego's sonotube thing and the servoreelers…..some of the mics (Neumann KM/ senns MKH)  will be flown out after use so, everyday we will need to re align at pre show preset ….it's for PA use therefore best GBF …..

thanks

Ray

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 11:27:17 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.