ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing Chair Options  (Read 6244 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Mixing Chair Options
« on: May 15, 2017, 04:00:55 PM »

I'm wanting to buy a "mixing chair" for a local house sound guy after his got broken. I like the one in this picture, but it's over $300.

He's has been a friend of mine for a long time. Just trying to find something a little less expensive.

It seems most have a 20" diameter foot rest ring. I would prefer it to be larger if possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
Re: Mixing Chair Options
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 04:19:26 PM »

Can't you just turn a packing case on end and sit on it?  You guys are getting soft!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 04:33:23 PM »

I didn't do a search on the forums but this comes up every 2 years or so and the one product that stuck in my mind is this:

http://www.ergolab.com/stealthpro-chair-p/m120sp.htm

I've seen them in the wild, on tour.  Typically the tech owns his/her chair at this point (one guy had a case for his Stealth chair).

It busts your budget, though - the Stealth Pro is $550 these days.

Having used mostly cheap office store chairs I was surprised at what "real" seating costs.  One of our clients provided some nice Herman Miller chairs and I discovered what the money pays for.  If you live in your chair the chair should treat you right. ;)

You probably get a Uline catalog and IIRC they have a fair representation of drafting chairs and similar office chairs.  Might be worth a look and maybe get closer to your target price.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 04:39:14 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 04:38:01 PM »

Can't you just turn a packing case on end and sit on it?  You guys are getting soft!

The main thing is my back is getting older and more difficult to please.  I tend to stand a lot because most sitting puts my body in an odd posture that becomes painful once I stand up again.  A road case is about the worst possible thing...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 04:45:33 PM »

Not getting soft.....getting smarter.  ;)

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 05:02:53 PM »

Probably over your budget, but it's such a great seat: SoundSeat

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 06:58:18 PM »

I'm wanting to buy a "mixing chair" for a local house sound guy after his got broken. I like the one in this picture, but it's over $300.

He's has been a friend of mine for a long time. Just trying to find something a little less expensive.

It seems most have a 20" diameter foot rest ring. I would prefer it to be larger if possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Who makes that chair?  It looks well made and over stuffed.  I stand when I mix too.  That looks great for a shop chair
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 07:07:06 PM »

The main thing is my back is getting older and more difficult to please.  I tend to stand a lot because most sitting puts my body in an odd posture that becomes painful once I stand up again.  A road case is about the worst possible thing...
I discovered something sharing a drum kit with a younger fellow who was shorter than me but set things up higher than I did.  Looking at his forearms he had plenty of clearance over the kit.  Whereas when I sat down my forearms were barely above my thighs and it felt awkwards lifting my shoulders and raising my arms up.

The epiphany came when I noted his very upright posture and remembered what I'd learned from the riding position on my old BMW RS.  Rocking your hips forward not only places the load on your inner thighs instead of your tailbone, but it also raises your torso.  And therefore you suddenly gain space between your thighs and forearms compared to slouching, which I had been doing.  I had gotten a drum throne with a back on it but realized that if I felt my back against it, then I must be slouching.  I also raised by snare a bit more than comfortable when practicing to force myself to sit up straight.

Given how much reaching is needed when mixing, it makes sense to sit with one's hips rocked forward.  Easier to reach forward, less soreness on the tailbone, and the back is able to manage the load out.  :D

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 06:26:13 AM »

I have been using one of these for many years. Gets me at the right height when consoles are on cases or EZ Tilts. Adjustable foot rest and good back support.
Came in under $200 CDN.

I don't care enough to be apathetic

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 09:38:45 AM »

I don't think I have ever mixed sitting down!

Steve.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 11:56:40 AM »

Similar to a drafting stool, but with a surface that stands up to hard exposure, I would get a lab stool similar to what I use at school.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 12:01:33 PM »

I don't think I have ever mixed sitting down!
Steve.
Me 3.
During breaks, I'll sit on a tool box or road case - maybe.
Often I go backstage and check with the band. Then, there's the obvious Pit Stop...
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 01:16:02 PM »

I almost always sit when mixing.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 05:36:55 PM »

I tend to be standing or running around with the iPad.  But I carry a Roc-n-soc pneumatic drum throne around with me for times when things are stable.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 05:49:53 PM »

Similar to a drafting stool, but with a surface that stands up to hard exposure, I would get a lab stool similar to what I use at school.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Good idea!
Seems like a better choice for the long haul and is only another $100.
The guys make a bit of a joke about sending my chair to gigs but I just can't stand for extended periods
 Much more comfortable especially mixing a theatrical production.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 05:51:14 PM »

Sit and stand at the same time...

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10199217/
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 05:57:07 PM »

A towel on top heps !

John Fruits

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 06:05:41 PM »

Lighting guys don't need no stinking chairs!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqmuJnEjS-Y
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 02:39:22 PM »

A towel on top heps !

turning it over, too :P

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 09:04:26 AM »

Follow up:

I think he likes it.

Lou and I have been friends in the sound business for about 30 years. He doesn't get around very good in recent years. So I wanted to get him a comfortable chair to replace the old one that was broken and falling apart.

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 05:28:08 PM »

I discovered something sharing a drum kit with a younger fellow who was shorter than me but set things up higher than I did.  Looking at his forearms he had plenty of clearance over the kit.  Whereas when I sat down my forearms were barely above my thighs and it felt awkwards lifting my shoulders and raising my arms up.

The epiphany came when I noted his very upright posture and remembered what I'd learned from the riding position on my old BMW RS.  Rocking your hips forward not only places the load on your inner thighs instead of your tailbone, but it also raises your torso.  And therefore you suddenly gain space between your thighs and forearms compared to slouching, which I had been doing.  I had gotten a drum throne with a back on it but realized that if I felt my back against it, then I must be slouching.  I also raised by snare a bit more than comfortable when practicing to force myself to sit up straight.

Given how much reaching is needed when mixing, it makes sense to sit with one's hips rocked forward.  Easier to reach forward, less soreness on the tailbone, and the back is able to manage the load out.  :D

Which is why I've found that I can spend the most time comfortably (10+ hours for some conference AV work) on a Roc-n-Soc tractor seat hydraulic throne with a back on it. I might only lean on that back a third of the day, but overall I've found that sitting on this makes it easier for me to shift the load around over the course of an event. It forces me to sit reasonably correctly for most of my day, and by then end of the day I haven't gotten so stiff that I can't get load out done.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 05:28:08 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 19 queries.