ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Power Strip Fail  (Read 6801 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Another Power Strip Fail
« on: May 15, 2017, 10:03:07 AM »

Good heavens, who comes up with these kludges?

Barry Singleton

Re: Another Power Strip Fail
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 10:52:47 AM »

So THAT'S what the holes in the spades are for!  Who knew?!?

Barry.
If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 10:57:59 AM »

So THAT'S what the holes in the spades are for!  Who knew?!?

Barry.

At least their using actual APPLE brand power supplies. Not those dangerous Chinese knock-offs...  :D

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 01:21:50 PM »

That's so bad it had to be done as a joke............maybe!

Mike Sokol

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 01:31:41 PM »

That's so bad it had to be done as a joke............maybe!

Maybe, but I think it's real. I've seen a few kludges like this in the field, and it's always scary....

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 05:22:20 PM »

What kind of plug/outlet is that?  It doesn't look like any sort of US Edison outlet I've seen.  I've seen 220V outlets elsewhere that look like this, which the Apple switchers can endure.  But what is on the end of the US style black cord?

Mike Sokol

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 05:36:25 PM »

What kind of plug/outlet is that?  It doesn't look like any sort of US Edison outlet I've seen.  I've seen 220V outlets elsewhere that look like this, which the Apple switchers can endure.  But what is on the end of the US style black cord?

I think it's U.K. 230 volt...

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 08:00:05 PM »

The wall plate has that European look to it. Now that I think about it the term "adapter" they used makes sense. Yea that is real, they needed a way to power their Edison plug devices while in the Europe!  I wonder if they even considered the voltage.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 04:13:09 AM »

The wall plate has that European look to it. Now that I think about it the term "adapter" they used makes sense. Yea that is real, they needed a way to power their Edison plug devices while in the Europe!  I wonder if they even considered the voltage.

"Grandpa never shaved so fast in his life! And Mom's curling iron... well, let's just say her hair looks really HOT."
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mike Sokol

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 09:46:15 AM »

"Grandpa never shaved so fast in his life! And Mom's curling iron... well, let's just say her hair looks really HOT."

Interestingly, on my recent trip to Paris I had a simple "adapter" to convert between UK outlets and Edison plugs. But it didn't step the voltage down, it was just set of input/output connectors. My wife was complaining that her curling iron would blow up on 230-volts, but I looked at the nameplate and this simple $20 curling iron has rated for 110 to 240 volts. It has a computer based temp control with an LED that blinks ON when ready, and some sort of on-board variable power supply to keep the iron at a set temp. And you can plug it into any world voltage as long as you can make the plug fit. Go figure...

Daniel Levi

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 11:11:25 AM »

Don't think it's uk as our plugs don't have cables exiting from the rear (unless it's an adaptor and even that's rare).
Looks Australian to me.

But you do have to wonder what goes into someone's mind when the dream this stuff up.

And for holidays if the voltage is the same just get a multiplug extension lead (with a suitably rated mains flex) and replace the inlet plug with the destinations type (i.e. for UK -> France/Germany get a BS1363 extension remove the British plug an replace with a CEE7/7).
This is much better than a poorly made wobbly adaptor plug and you are more guaranteed of correct earthing, current capacity and that both the plug and outlets are correctly sized/fit properly.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 09:45:13 AM »

Yes just plug in a 100 volt Zener  like the phantom power for the DI or mic.s   using 9 or 12 volt zener.   Right ?

http://www.newark.com/solid-state/1n3340b/zener-diode-50w-100v-do-5/dp/10P4975?CMP=KNC-GUSA-GEN-KWL&mckv=|pcrid|190495156494|&gclid=CNGkvsXJ-dMCFQ94fgodHGgMmg

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 12:35:31 PM »

At least their using actual APPLE brand power supplies. Not those dangerous Chinese knock-offs...  :D

I wouldn't be too sure about that.  On Apple supplies, the apple logo is reverse embossed into the plastic, but is not colored differently than the white of the shell.  The one in the photo appears to have the apple logo painted on in grey.  To me, that screams Chinese knockoff.  Those are the ones that sell for $29 on Amazon instead of $79. The customer doesn't know the difference, until the supply blows up their computer, or the supply melts, both of which I've seen happen.
Brian Jojade

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 02:12:09 AM »

I think it's an Australian plug.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 02:07:50 PM »

I wouldn't be too sure about that.  On Apple supplies, the apple logo is reverse embossed into the plastic, but is not colored differently than the white of the shell.  The one in the photo appears to have the apple logo painted on in grey.  To me, that screams Chinese knockoff.  Those are the ones that sell for $29 on Amazon instead of $79. The customer doesn't know the difference, until the supply blows up their computer, or the supply melts, both of which I've seen happen.

I sent this pic to my twin brother Joe, who works at Apple, for a determination of origin (and a good laugh). I'll let you know what Apple says.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 06:34:37 PM »

Just curious, what failure mode would cause a power supply to "blow up" a computer or phone?  The power input lines have TVS for overvoltage and ESD isolation.  The systems have automatic switching to battery power if the right input isn't detected.

A supply not having sufficient current capability or shorting internally and "melting" I can see.  But nothing happens to the computer or phone it's connected to.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 03:03:45 AM »

It's generally full mains or even rectified mains from where the mains input tracks are too close to the low voltage output or the transformer (if there is one, capacitive droppers have been seen I think) having insufficient insulation between the primary and secondary/feedback windings.

https://youtu.be/ioAq7PI1Uwg

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 10:11:08 AM »

Just curious, what failure mode would cause a power supply to "blow up" a computer or phone?  The power input lines have TVS for overvoltage and ESD isolation.  The systems have automatic switching to battery power if the right input isn't detected.

A supply not having sufficient current capability or shorting internally and "melting" I can see.  But nothing happens to the computer or phone it's connected to.
There was a well reported case about a chinese flight attendant who plugged her iphone into a counterfeit charger and read her emails in the bath... last bath she ever took.

Apple swapped out counterfeit chargers with real ones over there just to save a few lives.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 10:11:08 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.