ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Danely Th212 opinions and pricing  (Read 4642 times)

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
Danely Th212 opinions and pricing
« on: May 15, 2017, 08:22:33 AM »

Posted in the installed section, however I know this area see's a little more action from Danley users.

I have a church install where the subs are terribly placed.  Currently 6.5 feet or so in the air (30 foot ceilings) and spaced over 30 feet apart.  They are also grossly underpowered and just not a quality sub.

Regardless, better, more consistent, low frequency is needed.  I was looking at going under the stage, however the stage is only 20 inches give or take high.  I was looking at the TH212 as it potentially could fit under the stage.

Opinions on the sub?  How does it perform?  Worship center seats 800 with a balcony.  A good set of properly powered front loaded 18's would be sufficient for the space and volume requirements as a baseline. 

I do have a slight concern with putting the subs under the stage that is so low and how that will transfer energy to the stage itself, open to input and first hand experience.

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
Re: Danely Th212 opinions and pricing
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 09:36:28 AM »

Posted in the installed section, however I know this area see's a little more action from Danley users.

I have a church install where the subs are terribly placed.  Currently 6.5 feet or so in the air (30 foot ceilings) and spaced over 30 feet apart.  They are also grossly underpowered and just not a quality sub.

Regardless, better, more consistent, low frequency is needed.  I was looking at going under the stage, however the stage is only 20 inches give or take high.  I was looking at the TH212 as it potentially could fit under the stage.

Opinions on the sub?  How does it perform?  Worship center seats 800 with a balcony.  A good set of properly powered front loaded 18's would be sufficient for the space and volume requirements as a baseline. 

I do have a slight concern with putting the subs under the stage that is so low and how that will transfer energy to the stage itself, open to input and first hand experience.

Hi Jerome,

I believe that the TH212 should be able to do what you're looking for but I don't have much first hand experience with it myself (yet).  We have recently sold four of them for a new club installation in Brooklyn that is set to open up soon.  I should get to take a listen within the next few weeks.  At the club, they are also being installed under the stage and were chosen due to their size.

Jeff

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 10:16:19 AM »

You might try the BC412, 18" height. If the 50x50 footprint fits it would yield more headroom than 2x TH212's for not much more.

Just a thought :)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 10:44:37 AM »

I was also looking at the same model speaker for under the stage in a church that doesn’t have the ceiling height to hang them. I think it would depend on how sturdy the stage is built as to whether that would be a problem of rattling the stage. The other problem is do you want to melt the front rows of the church. That’s the problem of putting the subs under that stage it can get real loud up front.

The fewer positions that the subs are in the better they usually work. When you separate subs more than a certain distance you get lobbing, hot and cold spot in the room. I recently did some work in a church that had the subs placed to the left and right of the stage, I put them both on one side of the stage and it really improved the coverage. And the 2 (not very good) subs coupled and that helped also. Subs usually aren’t very directional so you can get away with this.

Hanging a sub high up especially if you can get it up with the main speakers, if they are hung up high, is usually better for more even coverage, if you can find a sub that will work that way for you. You won’t get the coupling that you get from them being on the floor that usually works to make them louder with not as much power so this part of it is a negative. But you won’t melt the people up front and should get fewer complaints while still getting some good bottom end. There are even some sub designs and deployment that will help with flown subs to help keep some of that energy from over powering the stage. I work in one room where the sub is up in the corner of the front at the proscenium wall and for the type of sub it is that position works in that room. It isn’t the greatest sub but it works for what we usually are doing in the room. I am mostly doing musical theater in that room and I can get a pretty good low end for the sound effects. It is a little bit too high up (not the ideal location) but it even works ok for music. I cross them over so there is a slight hole between the frequencies of the main speakers (that are also flown) and the sub and it works.   

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 11:08:34 AM »

While Danley has some touring subs their main deal is installs. They have a huge number of different shaped subs for installs. You don't need handles etc. you might want fly points to get a good sub up with the mains.

I would contact them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 02:51:30 PM »

Posted in the installed section, however I know this area see's a little more action from Danley us

You're going to be amazed at how low they go and how loud they get.  While two a side is what I run, one pair properly powered should do this job with headroom.

Edit .Not sure about the balcony. Perhaps that why the original subs were flown
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:54:11 PM by Kemper Watson »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 04:11:50 PM »

You're going to be amazed at how low they go and how loud they get.  While two a side is what I run, one pair properly powered should do this job with headroom.

Edit .Not sure about the balcony. Perhaps that why the original subs were flown

The original subs were flown for a couple of likely reasons.  The first is the same as for flying the PA - you can reduce the front-to-back ratio of distances, thereby reducing the amount of attenuation due to the inverse square law.  If a speaker on a stand is 6 ft from the front row and the back row is 60 ft there is a greater difference than if the speaker is flown @ 20 ft.  It's now 20 ft from the front row and still 60 ft from the back row.  That's a roughly 6dB difference eliminated and requires no magic processing or patented technologies to accomplish; careful choice of coverage and control over placement can yield yet more even coverage.  Flying the subs also means the coverage, relative to the inverse square law, is the same as the main PA.

The second is related but also a mater of client comfort and was mentioned earlier - ground level subs get pretty physical for those humans nearby.  At a concert people pay extra for those spots but I'm not sure it's a great attraction in a house of worship.

A third and possibly more important reason:  it's easier/possible to align the subs with the mains when they're close together, something that won't happen if the PA is flown and the subs are on the ground or under the stage.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 06:52:56 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 04:33:59 PM »

The original subs were flown for a couple of likely reasons.  The first is the same as for flying the PA - you can reduce the front-to-back ratio of distances, thereby reducing the amount of attenuation due to the inverse square law.  If a speaker on a stand is 6 ft from the front row and the back row is 60 ft there is a greater difference than if the speaker is flown @ 20 ft.  It's now 20 ft from the front row and still 60 ft from the back row.  That's a roughly 6dB difference eliminated and requires no magic processing or patented technologies to accomplish; careful choice of coverage and control over placement can yield yet more even coverage.  Flying the subs also means the coverage, relative to the inverse square law, is the same as the main PA.

The second is related but also a mater of client comfort and was mentioned earlier - ground level subs get pretty physical for those humans nearby.  At a concert people pay extra for those spots but I'm not sure it's a great attraction in a house of worship.

Agreed, my issue isnt so much that that they are 6 feet in the air, but more the huge space between them.  Huge voids throughout the listening area.  While it is definitely going to be a trade off, the church called because of the inconsistent sound at different positions.  I am going to bring some dual 18s I have to move around and have been playing a bit in Smart as well.  The stage has a pretty large protrusion that sticks out, so I want to try getting them back mid stage and try some other positions.  Flying subs up with the stacks isnt an option unfortunetly with the phased upgrade they are doing to fit the budget constraints.  Later down the road they could potentially be flown however it would take a large amount of rigging rework due to the current layout and at this time is not an option.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 04:37:36 PM by Jerome Casinger »

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 04:46:29 PM »

The other thing with understage subs is to make sure the area under there is baffled so it doesn't resonate.  Even the best physically isolating mics will take off sitting in the middle of a lightly built stage with subs underneath.

John L Nobile

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 05:33:35 PM »

I tried running my 2 DBH218's under center stage in an endfire "array" and there seemed to be a lot less bass in front of them. And there was less bass on stage. The room is being used for other functions so I may not have time to fine tune until July. Initial result was very promising.

I also use a Meyer 650R2 on each side of the stage to fill some dead spots on the side.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 05:33:35 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.