ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 1950's Westinghouse refridgerator  (Read 8049 times)

Douglas R. Allen

Re: 1950's Westinghouse refridgerator
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 07:16:51 PM »

As a(n) homage to the word police, much like sound people have the polarity vs phase issue and the lighting people have the bulb vs lamp issue, among kitchen people that is a RANGE not a STOVE dagnabbit.
In other kitchen retro, does anyone remember the Servel gas refrigerators?  How about the 4 burner ranges where one of the burners was recessed into the top and had a stockpot insert.

I grew up with one of those when we upgraded. Before that we put wood for the fire on the right side of the stove (?) and there was water tank on the left side to have hot water. Run out to the wood shed with my runner sled at near 20 below to get wood to fire it up. Put your feet in the middle oven section to warm up after. Nothing like the light of a fire at 2 am dancing in a dark kitchen in a dead calm cold night.

Douglas R. Allen

Sort of like picture I found on the web.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:22:57 PM by Douglas R. Allen »

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 08:23:44 PM »

I'm needing to sell a 100% functioning circa-1950 Westinghouse refrigerator.  It is still in use.

Does anyone know or could recommend a company/organization/individual that is interested in "vintage" appliances?  I would like to sell the "fridge" to someone who is possibly a collector or to someone who would enjoy restoring it (i.e needs painting).  The fridge was purchased (used) for $15 in 1960 and has been in use in my family since then.

I just let the local utility take my 1960's era Frigidaire (complete with GM badges!) for a $50 check in return.  It had lived its life as a kegerator for the last 30 years, but as we rotated out our kitchen refrigerator for a new model, a 10-yr old stainless side by side took its place in the basement, and it was time for the old boy to go.  The manual defrost every quarter was starting to get a little old as well.

You *might* have some luck with a local props house if someone needed one for for film/theatre.  Other than that, see if your local utility has a money-back recycling program.

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 08:27:27 PM »

As a(n) homage to the word police, much like sound people have the polarity vs phase issue and the lighting people have the bulb vs lamp issue, among kitchen people that is a RANGE not a STOVE dagnabbit.
In other kitchen retro, does anyone remember the Servel gas refrigerators?
Until less than two years ago, my wife, daughter and I owned two tiny islands in Georgian Bay where we had a propane powered Servel that came with the islands and was still fully functional when we sold the islands less than two years ago.  All I ever did to the Servel was cleaned it every spring before lighting it up for another season.  I'll admit I was considering replacing its door gasket. 
In a similar vein, Marly had a 1956 Maytag washer from her first marriage and I was able to keep it fully operational until we purchased a new Maytag sometime in the 1990's.  When they delivered our new Maytag Neptune washer and gas dryer, part of the deal was taking away our old Maytags from 1956 and 1958.  When the Maytag dealer saw the great condition of our 1956 washer, he gave it display space in his showroom right next to his brand new Neptunes.  I can't say the Neptunes were built anywhere near as well, or as serviceable, as our old 1956 and '58 units.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2017, 12:27:19 PM »

That is the original enamel?  My 4 year old stove isn't in that nice of a shape!

All new appliances in my home after a fire in '07-including Maytag Neptunes.  Most of them replaced already-I think the appliance manufacturers took a page out of Bill Gates book and decided that appliances that last aren't good for the bottom line.

There was an old 50's era freezer in the basement of my home when I purchased it-they left it because there was no way to take it out after some remodeling work was done.  The basement flooded and ruined the compressor-so I had it replaced by a friend.  The freezer at 50 years old had never had refridgerant added-there were no service ports of any kind, all factory original.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2017, 12:27:19 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.