Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: GPS  (Read 6268 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: GPS
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 05:23:18 PM »

I was just busting Bob's chops but since we swerved to cars.

I have an Aftermarket JVC in my F150 and it is excellent but will be pricey to update DB.  The system in the Benz is awful and that is 6 years old but always sucked.  My wife's 2016 Caddy is the worst, using Onstar. 

Here is the kicker.  I rented a 2017 Caddy in Fl (BTW SixT rental cars has all luxury models and silly low rates) and it had the Android Auto app.  It was awesome able to use Waze from the dashboard.  Very impressed with the integration.  Apple has a similar app.

I could not live without the user interaction in Waze, so much useful information. 

You hit the nail on the head with the built in GPS systems. I usually upgrade mine every 2 years or so with something better, and the updates are a must. Nothing worse in my world then having to be someplace to meet a 4 hour SLA and have the GPS come back with street not found.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 06:20:58 PM »

Any windows phone 8 device (the 535 would be a cheap used option if 4g is not required) with here drive+ installed, it's free and has downloadable maps for just about anywhere, no TMC option but I do not know if that feature exists in the USA anyway.

As for built in navigation the Nissan Connect system seems to work OK although some of it's routing is not the most optimal where there are multiple routes available, but has has ben said before map updates are pricey and the maps installed on a 2014 micra are a couple of years out of date which is not that great.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 07:20:03 PM »

+1 for Waze on an iPhone, at least in NYC, NJ and LA. The user traffic report data have saved me many hours of (not) sitting in traffic. Probably worth the disadvantage of the iPhone 5S lousy accuracy and a few missed exits (plus 2 U-turns!) over the years, maybe newer iPhones are improved in their localization accuracy.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 10:01:10 PM »

Bro, do you even map, compass and land navigation?

Cause 'neither do I. I just use my phone and Google maps.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 10:05:09 PM »

Bro, do you even map, compass and land navigation?

Cause 'neither do I. I just use my phone and Google maps.

It's fun to fly by the charts on a nice day.  The GPS takes all the magic out of it.  Get down low, plot a course, figure out your wind drift and pick lots of waypoints.  The visual kind like lakes and railroad tracks.

Some days you just have to say no to technology.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2017, 10:07:44 PM »

I have a set of maps for my GR2 radar software that has more accurate roads, including dirt roads and private roads than any other paper or GPS map system that I've ever seen. Problem is it has to run on my laptop, which is usually a little too bulky for normal driving.

Plus, I like to take my Tacoma to places where there are not roads. ;)

Speaking of which, have you looked into Hema maps?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 12:46:10 AM »

I have been a die hard Garmin guy since the GPS-2 back in the '80s.

These days I have a 4 yr old Nuvi 14xx in my truck and a Zumo 660 on the bike.
I plan on getting the 7" RV model next. They just released a new one.

I love being able to plan out a trip in the free Basecamp software (runs on Windoz or MacOS). When ready, just load it to the GPS.

Heck, we had basecamp up all evening just blue sky sticking pins in the map for our next ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 03:47:51 PM »

...until I retire and buy some modern muscle (GT350), or just run the Explorer until I'm too old to drive anymore.

Slightly off topic...

Be aware that the GT350 really shines at high RPM.  If you're seriously contemplating buying one, test drive a regular GT with the performance package before making a decision.  Also consider that the new '18 Coyote motor was completely reworked and Ford has promised increased HP and torque over the current 435hp/400 lb ft.  Also for '18 MY, they added direct injection (hybrid system) and raised the compression ratio to 12:1.  And the MagneRide, active exhaust and 10-speed auto trans will be available.  I believe Ford will release the power & torque details next month.  All of this is to say the GT with the performance package may save you $20k over the GT350 and be 90-95 % of a GT350.  I'm confident that driving either model will bring a BIG smile to your face.  It does for me.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 04:49:30 PM »

Slightly off topic...

Be aware that the GT350 really shines at high RPM.  If you're seriously contemplating buying one, test drive a regular GT with the performance package before making a decision.  Also consider that the new '18 Coyote motor was completely reworked and Ford has promised increased HP and torque over the current 435hp/400 lb ft.  Also for '18 MY, they added direct injection (hybrid system) and raised the compression ratio to 12:1.  And the MagneRide, active exhaust and 10-speed auto trans will be available.  I believe Ford will release the power & torque details next month.  All of this is to say the GT with the performance package may save you $20k over the GT350 and be 90-95 % of a GT350.  I'm confident that driving either model will bring a BIG smile to your face.  It does for me.
I had to google that to see what ford was up to... Last i heard Carroll Shelby was still dead (RIP). Appears ford is recycling model numbers. I recall a GT350 from back when.

That new motor looks sweet and several pounds lighter than a stock 5.0 . My 20YO mustang cobra is looking puny by comparison,,, looks like they finally stopped making my 4V DOHC 4.6 liter engine.  My primary complaint about the SVT mustangs was the cheap kids car platform... after 20 years and 100k miles mine is getting rough around the edges.

Some guy did pull into my driveway to ask me if i wanted to sell it, about a week ago, but he wasn't serious. Sat in his car and just blew his horn. :-( 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

GenePink

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 05:44:42 AM »

Some guy did pull into my driveway to ask me if i wanted to sell it, about a week ago, but he wasn't serious. Sat in his car and just blew his horn. :-( 

That is beyond rude.

Same thing happened to me while I was in the garage with the door up. HONK, HONK. Many old caddys and a 65 Mustang exposed to the street. I don't mind a knock on the door looking for a barn find, they get a polite "No thanks", as I have done this myself.

I grabbed a canned compressed air horn, hid it behind me, and walked up to the car. One of three large guys rolled down the window, and I blasted him right in the face. "This ain't Sonic, asshole" (a fast food stand with carhops, where you beep for service) and walked away. But I doubt he heard me at all, after that airhorn blast.

Rude gets answered with even ruder, around here.

Gene

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 05:44:42 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.