Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: GPS  (Read 6260 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
GPS
« on: May 12, 2017, 11:56:01 PM »

I have been using a GPS since they first became available, and the brand I've used for all of these years has been Magellen. Very reliable, accurate, and decent features. My wife started bitching about her GPS (one of my hand me downs) because I couldn't update it, and because the screen was small. This prompted me to search for a new GPS with better accuracy and more options.

After some very long and hard research I ended up buying a Garmin DiveSmart 61 LMT-S hoping it had the features I need on a daily basis. Happy to say I'm not disappointed, but rather, very impressed with some of the features available. Although I've been using the GPS most of the week I still have questions. What impressed me? The highway off ramp features, the map detail, the 7" display, and the voice activation. What disappointed me? The address search function. What pisses me off? The traffic function/re-routing.

Now I know some of you will say you use your phone, and that the phone is just fine. I wish that were the case in my world while I traverse across four (4) states driving more than a thousand miles weekly day and night to many places I've never seen. So, a GPS, and a good one is my solution.

I can still bring this back, so I'm asking if anyone thinks I might have made a better choice.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/552113

« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 12:28:17 AM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: GPS
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 02:03:06 AM »

I've been a Garmin owner for 7 years.  I'm on my second Nuvi.  Where I usually drive there is little/no traffic info.  Re-routing?  It seems to vary from okay to awkward depending on where I am vs where I'm headed and how I departed from the original route.  At least my current Nuvi doesn't tell me to make u-turns.  The lane assist and fairly accurate depictions of exits/signage is very helpful.

I'm happy with mine and like it better than trying to use google maps and my phone. 
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 05:11:24 AM »

Bob,. This may amaze you but cars made in the last decade actually have a GPS built into the dashboard.  You should really check it out.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 10:48:56 AM »

Bob,. This may amaze you but cars made in the last decade actually have a GPS built into the dashboard.  You should really check it out.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
My previous 2013 Explorer had the MS Sync deal.  The GPS was functional, but SLOW.  OMG slow.

I traded my Explorer and my cool card in on a 2017 Transit which I believe has a Blackberry-derived system.  It's WAY better than the 4-year old Explorer's software, and the Sirius TravelLink deal is pretty neat, and shows me traffic updated pretty regularly.  If I lived in a metro area where I actually had good alternatives to get between home and work that would be really handy; in my case it's just a misery indicator.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 11:49:48 AM »

My previous 2013 Explorer had the MS Sync deal.  The GPS was functional, but SLOW.  OMG slow.

My 2012 E350 has that system.  It's limited by the information contained in its on-board database and the only way to upgrade that is via ($$) CD.  Works o.k. on roads & destinations that have existed for awhile.  Not so good on new construction.

I wind up using Google Maps on an Android phone most of the time.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 02:06:59 PM »

Was Bob asking about new car advice?

Good luck..  maps are getting better..

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 02:50:27 PM »

JR

Visually I can process a paper map much quicker that navigating around a map screen.  I suspect it's because I'm Really Olde Skool.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 03:26:46 PM »

Visually I can process a paper map much quicker that navigating around a map screen.  I suspect it's because I'm Really Olde Skool.
but a paper map doesn't know where you are....

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 05:11:11 PM »

JR

I was just busting Bob's chops but since we swerved to cars.

I have an Aftermarket JVC in my F150 and it is excellent but will be pricey to update DB.  The system in the Benz is awful and that is 6 years old but always sucked.  My wife's 2016 Caddy is the worst, using Onstar. 

Here is the kicker.  I rented a 2017 Caddy in Fl (BTW SixT rental cars has all luxury models and silly low rates) and it had the Android Auto app.  It was awesome able to use Waze from the dashboard.  Very impressed with the integration.  Apple has a similar app.

I could not live without the user interaction in Waze, so much useful information. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 05:19:49 PM »

What a bunch of hosers.

Scott, I own a 2013 Explorer and chose not get the built in GPS for all the reasons mentioned above. My amazement is that people go for that option. I do have electric heated leather seats and all the other fine extra's that can be crammed into the Explorer.

New car? I'm about ready for the dirt nap, so my thought is run the Explorer for a few more years until I retire and buy some modern muscle (GT350), or just run the Explorer until I'm too old to drive anymore.

Paper maps are good for when you're in the boondocks with no place to crap other than the woods. You can usually get 2-3 stops out of one map.

Yesterday I put the GPS to good use. I'm starting to like the interface very much now, and the 7" screen is the balls. The trip was Boston to Biddeford, ME, to Portsmouth, NH, Windham, NH, Lowell, MA, Kennebunk, ME, Boston. The GPS was very, very accurate, presented a very good view of where I was going and what the road signs would look like, what lanes to get in for off ramps, told me about speed changes and school zones, and took the fastest routes. Good stuff, so I guess it's a keeper.

Paper maps? What an old fart.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 05:19:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.