ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Thomann/Soundking DM20  (Read 33573 times)

Andrien (No Last Name)

Re: SKP D-Touch 20 / Soundking DM20
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2018, 07:02:28 AM »

Thanks!

I'll try loading the new firmware today.  I hope I don't regret it!

Tom

Is the new firmware works?

The dm20 is made by Cadac so the company won’t go away in a heartbeat.

http://www.cadac-sound.com

I wonder if it is really Cadac under the hood but then Soundking did bought Cadac and Music Group did bought Midas

Klaus Haulrich

Re: Thomann/Soundking DM20
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2018, 06:45:58 AM »

An Android app has been released for remote controlling the DM20 mixer:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.esunny.sound

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2018, 10:57:17 AM »

An Android app has been released

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

TomBoisseau

Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2019, 12:42:09 AM »

Well… I’ve been using the D-Touch 20 now for over two years, mostly for small corporate webcasts and CSPAN book lectures.  The current firmware, v1.5.4, made some nice improvements such as 1/3rd octave graphics, RTA, better channel labeling and color-coding options, and additional effects libraries.   However, the D-Touch 20 is still a little “buggy”.  Here is a list that I now pack with the D-Touch to remind myself and others of the potential issues. 

1. Do NOT turn on the RTA in the Graphic EQ while recording to a thumb drive.  This will cause the D-Touch to lock up requiring turning the unit off and then on again, and your recording will be lost or corrupted!

2. Individual CHANNEL LED METERS read POST compressor.  This means that, with the compressor inserted, it is possible for the audio on a given channel to be distorted at the head amp and yet the meter may read okay.  Solution… set channel gains with compressors OFF.

3. COMPRESSORS seem to act more like “brick wall limiters” and the compressor gain reduction meter shows way too large a scale.   This can cause the operator to believe that very little compression is taking place whereas, in fact, it may be considerable!  Solution… use compressors very sparingly with only a few pixels ever showing on the compressor gain reduction meter.  From what I can tell, the only adjustment that makes any difference is the “THRESHOLD”.   

4.  TONE and NOISE generator outputs to all or most of the outputs regardless of where it was assigned.  Solution… NEVER turn on the tone generator during a show or with a room full of people.

5. Hold power button for 4 seconds to power ON.  Hold power button again 1 second to turn OFF.  This certainly seems backwards to me.  Solution… I use a water bottle cap over power button to make it difficult to accidently hit the power button and to make me think twice before I do.

6. When monitoring main L/R output, remember this is “PRE-FADER”, so if you fade out at the end of the show using the master fader, you will NOT hear the fade.

7. Recording to USB works well (except note #1 above), however don’t forget to stop the recorder before powering off the mixer or you will lose your recording.  There is no recording indicator outside of the “RECORDER” page.  The file will be a 16 bit WAV file at either 44.1 or 48K depending on how you have set your preferences.  A new file will be created about every 620MB, or about every hour at the 44.1K setting.

8. The mic pre’s seem kind of noisy to me.  It’s usually not an issue if you are using a line level signal or a mic with a hot output, but something like an SM58 requires so much gain that it can sound rather “hissy”.

9. The maximum output level is only +18dBu, compared to other professional mixers that are often capable of +24dBu.  Fortunately, it’s almost always possible to turn up the amplifiers or whatever other device you’re feeding to make up for the difference.  However in some rare situations that’s not always been possible for me and it’s been difficult to make up for that loss of 6dB.

In spite of all my complaints, I actually purchased a second one of these mixers a few months back.  They’re not great, but currently I just don’t see anything else on the market with faders and in this small of a package that can do what the D-Touch does.  I still have high hopes for a firmware update to solve some of these issues, however it’s highly unlikely that a firmware update will bring a solution to the noisy mic pre’s.  But I still like it.  Frankly, if you were using it live for a small rock band, the noisy mic pre’s probably would not be an issue. 

Andrien (No Last Name)

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2019, 11:20:02 PM »

Nice review, but yeah I don't think there will be any firmware update as they have released the replacement for that model
http://www.soundking.com/prod_view.aspx?TypeId=79&Id=170&FId=t3:79:3
DM20M, not sure what is the difference.

CindelCsaba

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2020, 12:27:03 PM »

STORNO
I make a big (!) failure :( I changed the 12V adapter with an 19V. Dont make any hardware failure (!!), after change the adapter to original 12V, all working fine :)

Hi.
I have an Soundking DM20, and also an big problem. Plese help me.
1. I rebooted DM20 in bootloader mode
2. make "wipe data/factory reset"
3. make "wipe cache partition" and reboot DM20
4. install the firmwae mq16update.zip
Now apparently everything works fine, all settings, display, faders are ok, but DM20 now working only with digital inputs and outputs. For example: if playing music from USB, fader and VU meters are working, buth i have output only on digital out. There is no signal on a analog outputs, nowhere including the headphone output.
The analog inputs also not work, no detect any analog signals. Its looks like my AD/DA converter not working. Something is missing ?
What have I done wrong? Can anyone help me?
TY and BR
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 11:35:12 AM by CindelCsaba »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber