ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Thomann/Soundking DM20  (Read 33165 times)

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
Re: SKP D-Touch 20 / Soundking DM20
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 03:02:22 AM »

Thanks David.

So "shawnackount" claims the newest firmware now has 1/3rd octave eq's.  Is there a description that details what's new?   I can't find it!

Tom

You've seen "shawnackount"'s post, so you know as much as I do I'm afraid.

Edit PS - have you tried messaging that user directly? How about contacting the vendor who sold you the desk - surely they'd know if there was newer firmware available, or a newer instruction manual to go along with it?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 04:30:38 AM by David Morison »

Andrien (No Last Name)

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 02:39:49 AM »

You've seen "shawnackount"'s post, so you know as much as I do I'm afraid.

Edit PS - have you tried messaging that user directly? How about contacting the vendor who sold you the desk - surely they'd know if there was newer firmware available, or a newer instruction manual to go along with it?

Just checked SKP website, seems like firmware 1.5.4 does have 31band GEQ, not sure if it is true or not.
https://www.skpaudio.com/products/mixers/digital_mixer/d_touch_20
https://drive.google.com/uc?authuser=0&id=1Z2kEe3FKfa9f4ZB4YiFi7-jWTVx7JoIB&export=download

TomBoisseau

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2018, 09:59:20 AM »

Just checked SKP website, seems like firmware 1.5.4 does have 31band GEQ, not sure if it is true or not.
https://www.skpaudio.com/products/mixers/digital_mixer/d_touch_20
https://drive.google.com/uc?authuser=0&id=1Z2kEe3FKfa9f4ZB4YiFi7-jWTVx7JoIB&export=download

Thanks!

I'll try loading the new firmware today.  I hope I don't regret it!

Tom

John P. Farrell

Re: Thomann/Soundking DM20
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2018, 04:07:50 PM »

Hmm, for about the same money I grabbed a Soundcraft UI-24r from Mike Pyle...  it's pretty awesome.

That may be a great product, but is definitely not a console with tangible faders which was a pretty important part of the OP.

Personally I'd never rely on an iPad for a CEO/important talking head mic.  They are very useful tools for other parts of the gig. 

JF
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2018, 04:47:05 PM »

The SKP D-20 looks like a very versatile little mixer, perfect for small corp stuff or weddings.

TomBoisseau

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 11:24:01 PM »

The SKP D-20 looks like a very versatile little mixer, perfect for small corp stuff or weddings.

I've been using it quite a bit lately for CSPAN and smaller corporate webcasts.  I'm pretty happy with it.  For me, it's two greatest shortcomings are: a somewhat low output level (+18dBu which has been somewhat of an issue on a few occasions) and compressors that seem to act more like a brick wall limiter, regardless of the settings.  Hopefully the later will be addressed in a firmware update.  The former of course is likely a hardware issue.

All that being said, I'm not disappointed with my purchase.  Presently I see nothing else out there in this size footprint, with moving faders, to compete with this device.

Tom

Lyle Williams

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2018, 04:00:04 PM »

I fiddled with the soundking while waiting in a cable order to come out of a warehouse.  Seemed ok.  But it was priced about 20% above an X18 in my market.

TomBoisseau

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2018, 01:15:56 AM »

I fiddled with the soundking while waiting in a cable order to come out of a warehouse.  Seemed ok.  But it was priced about 20% above an X18 in my market.

Not a fair comparison!

The reason you buy the SoundKing / SKP is because you need FADERS!  If you're doing bands where you rarely need to make adjustments during the show, then a device like the X18, or some other mixer that requires ipad control, may be fine.  However if you need to do "dialog" mixing where changes must be made quickly, then something like the SKP D-Touch 20 with faders makes much more sense.

[Of course there is the additional argument that eventually any ipad / tablet based unit will eventually become a useless "brick" when the console manufacture stops supporting the device and Apple (or Android) does an ios update causing the app to be incompatable with the new ios.  Also, I have seen too many times when the wifi drops out (often for just a short time).  If you want reliability, a self contained console with real faders is the way to go.  Regardless of what becomes of the "app", theoretically the console itself would still be a usable device, even 20 years from now!  However, if finances are not an issue, then I suppose longevity does not concern you.  Spend away!]

Tom

Lyle Williams

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 02:37:59 AM »

Until I saw this unit I had never heard of Soundking.  I don't know if I will see their products in two years time.

That's the hard thing with being a brand late to this market.  There are other established brands around that may be better or worse, but they are established brands.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 03:03:53 AM »

The dm20 is made by Cadac so the company won’t go away in a heartbeat.

http://www.cadac-sound.com

Until I saw this unit I had never heard of Soundking.  I don't know if I will see their products in two years time.

That's the hard thing with being a brand late to this market.  There are other established brands around that may be better or worse, but they are established brands.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 03:03:53 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.