ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live recording a Stevie Wonder performance, this happened. Need advice  (Read 3447 times)

Curt LaFurney

G5 Tower crashed
I was capturing a live performance of Stevie Wonder last night. At the very end of the show my Mac Tower running black magic capture card froze solid. I had to hard shut down and restart the computer. Unfortunately the computer did not finalize the 422 pro rez Qt clip into a .mov, it came up as just av as the extension when I went to look at the file for the entire set. The file is 101 GB in size so the content is there. When I tried to play it back the Qt player told me unsupported or unrecognized. It won't play back in the finder as well it just gives me a Qt icon that says AV on it but no video image you normally get for a .mov file.  What can I do to make this av into a simple .mov file? Clients are hours away need to convert this Thank you for any assistance.

Steve Ferreira

Backup, backup, backup. I'm not familiar with that unit you have but if it's anything like other models on the market that lose power or freeze, the units haven't gone through the "finalizing" process. Not sure how you might be able to recover the file.

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ

That's really tough.  Corrupted file with probably no chance to recover.

As the previous commenter said, the key is to have a backup.  You didn't say if this was for fun or profit, but in my case, when I do a shoot, as my camera only has 1 SD card slot, I also record to an Atomos for backup.

On a whim, have to tried just renaming the extension to see if you can get it to play?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services

If you didn't screw with the disk after, you may have it all. Some clever person may be able to finalize it. If you did, then you may have written over some data.

When that kind of thing happens, making an image of the disk to work with is the safest. Keep the original untouched.

Ask on google about finalizing a 'what ever kind of recording'. Maybe you will hit gold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB

My understanding is that prides is spatial not temporal compression so recovery of your data should be possible.

Try this and PLEASE report back on if it works.

http://aeroquartet.com/movierepair/prores422

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.