ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Nexo PS15 EQ for dance music  (Read 38647 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Nexo PS15 EQ for dance music
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 06:48:41 PM »

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 06:52:35 PM »

A quick search tells me that the PS15 has a pretty flat frequency response, maybe the guys you heard from haven't heard the boxes setup correctly.

If you think the speaker sounds harsh I nearly guarantee that adding more 3k will not help that situation. I honestly find that harshness in lower tier speakers are not so much a factor of frequency response issues but rather throat  distortion in the horn and that is something no amount of eq will ever fix and neither will buying another speaker in the same price range.

I don't think that any speaker claiming to have a flat response will sound good to someone who listens to dance music purely because every dance music mix I have heard has a scooped mid range, it easy enough for you to get the same sound either by mixing the same way or processing the box to sound like you want it.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 03:35:16 AM »

The Nexo PS range have an excellent reputation, and with good reason.
A quick look at the datasheet shows a 2" compression driver (3" diaphragm) and a 900Hz crossover point. That's a Good Thing IMO - most 15" + 1" boxes try to cross in the 1-3kHz region, with terrible results off-axis as the 15" starts beaming like crazy.

Edit: the R2 version has a 1.1kHz crossover. Still better than 2kHz+.

I expect they'll sound better than the current crop of active boxes, with the caveat that the Nexo cabs need their processor, and make sure they've got plenty of amplifier headroom if you want to get ahead of the likes of Yamaha and JBL.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

RichardStringer

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 03:48:47 AM »

I try and ask around and see if I can listen to any near me if anyone actually has any, I doubt it but i'll try, I really do appreciate all your help guys, it's also annoying when certain people kinda make fun of me or leave stupid replies like the first reply to this thread which just wastes my time and annoys me because there's no need to leave a reply that doesn't help me in any way. But to the guys who've helped me I salute you, thank you.

I must admit I have heard the PS15 cabs but it was probably easily 15 years ago maybe longer so I can't remember what they sound like, I definately remember what the Nexo Alpha sounds like, LOUD but not harsh on my ears at all, it was a very flat kind of sound kinda like studio monitors but I guess the Alpha and the PS15 are two different kettles of fish.

I've just spoken to people who play dance music and have some PS15 cabs or had some and they said for techno, drum & bass and general dance music the PS15 aren't a very good speaker but for live band music they're excellent these people basically said. I've also seen various youtube videos on the PS15 cabs too (I know it's not the best way to get an idea of their sound) and all the videos I have seen from what I can make out they do indeed have a midtange sound which is very muddy or a kind of very deep smile curve to their frequency response.

I wish I could hire a pair so I could probably get an idea but i'll try my best to get a listen to some if I can one way or another.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 04:09:27 AM »

I think PS15s sound rather good, and wouldn't be wanting to do anything drastic with them - however I'm not a massive dance music fan.

I used a pair at the weekend over EM Acoustics subs and was impressed by them.  This was rock and indie guitar music rather than dance music though.

Steve.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 04:18:10 AM »

Iggy bin...
Strong sense of deja Vu.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

RichardStringer

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 04:21:26 AM »

I used a pair at the weekend over EM Acoustics subs and was impressed by them.  This was rock and indie guitar music rather than dance music though.

Steve.

If I do get a pair it'll be the older mk1 because I simply can't afford the newer PS15 mkII, do they sound drastically different? Oh and someone told me about the DTD controller, would that make the mk1 PS15 cabs sound better?

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 05:02:18 AM »

If I do get a pair it'll be the older mk1 because I simply can't afford the newer PS15 mkII, do they sound drastically different? Oh and someone told me about the DTD controller, would that make the mk1 PS15 cabs sound better?

These cabs absolutely have to have their dedicated processor running things. It takes care of EQ and limiting (probably in a variety of ways).

Can you link to some examples where you've heard a particular midrange sound you don't like?

IMO, if a system sounds great for one genre and terrible for another, something is wrong. A good system should reproduce what goes into it, and it's the decisions of the person behind the mixer that should shape what we hear.

Example: I worked with a band for a while that had their own PA system. The mains were Mackie Thump 15 speakers. Active boxes, 15" driver and a 1" compression driver.
It's almost like they're pre-EQ'd for certain genres of music - plenty of boom, plenty of tizz. Big hole from 800Hz-2kHz. Mixing rock music was a real pain since they made Guns 'n' Roses sound like vox + bass + drums with guitars waaaay down. They sounded okay on modern pop music, but mixing a rock band was a real PITA because the system was putting it's own EQ on everything.
Using some reasonably flat speakers, life got much easier.

If a sound engineer will be mixing your gigs, or if it'll be used for a variety of genres, I'd recommend something as flat as possible.
If it's going out with a DJ and you want something pre-EQ'd for a particular genre, then feel free to pick something that's to your taste for that particular genre.

Note that you can EQ something that's neutral to get it more to your liking, but you can't always straighten out a system with it's own inherent curve.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 05:27:33 AM »

Not my equipment so I'm not sure which version.  Definitely had the controller though.

Steve.

RichardStringer

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 05:45:27 AM »

Chris....

Well i've listened to these videos on youtube below which made the PS15 cabs sound bad :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHZUVpHwtO0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWxjKVSBSBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSSc5ZjLE7Q

I'm aware you can't get a completely accurate idea in your head of how speaker cabs might sound  in front of you by listening to youtube videos but I think I have a reasonable idea as i've done videos myself of my own speaker cabs and heard the difference to listening to them in the flesh.

But also here people say they're harsh and also not good for dance music :

http://forum.speakerplans.com/harsh-nexo-ps15-tops_topic22518_page2.html

I searched high and low for PS15 to hire but the nearest place is 110 miles away and I have no transport so all I could do is go there and listen to them. I phoned that place though and they said they don't have time to set them up and let me demo them without me wanting to hire them or something else. So really i'm stuck with wither not buying any or trying to get the best idea of whether or not they'd be a good cab for techno and vocal dance music by asking as many people as possible what they think.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 05:45:27 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.