ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thank you  (Read 2863 times)

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
Thank you
« on: May 09, 2017, 01:59:59 PM »

This post is more of a thank-you, than a question.  We recently purchased some new wireless mics at my church (6 QLX D24 SM58 mics).  I am a non-expert at running live sound.  But I’ve had to learn along the way for my church and other places.  I just do the best I can.  But this forum has helped me tremendously.  You’ve helped me determine what the best product(s) were to buy, how to do certain pro-audio things, how to use pieces of equipment, etc.

I suppose throughout the years, I’ve learned more than I thought.  The other night, a couple of our new mics were distorting when the singer would really push.  Everyone was looking at me during the service and I was starting to panic.  It took me the whole night, but it suddenly just came to me to check the levels of each mic by using the PFL button and watch the meter on the mixer.  I did that and noticed that when I would “check” the mics hard, they would clip.  I was so embarrassed.  I know better than that, but I didn’t allow that to happen intentionally.  Checking the PFL was just something that didn’t occur to me until that point.  I lowered the gain until they were at the right level, and then increased the fader to get the volume back, and we have had no issues since then (we are in a revival, so currently using the mics every night). 

Anyways, I was so thankful that this came to my mind.  I am appreciative of this forum and to all of you for your help in my pro-audio studies.  Thank you for the time you dedicate to amateurs like me.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Thank you
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 02:10:16 PM »

Good for you!

Next level/trick on mic distortion with wireless is to have the transmitter/mic sensitivity set properly.  Sometimes you have to go into the menu on the mic and reset the sensitivity for extremely powerful voices.

Keep up the good work.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jim Thorn

• State College, PA
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 11:50:38 PM »

This post is more of a thank-you, than a question.  We recently purchased some new wireless mics at my church (6 QLX D24 SM58 mics).  I am a non-expert at running live sound.  But I’ve had to learn along the way for my church and other places.  I just do the best I can.  But this forum has helped me tremendously.  You’ve helped me determine what the best product(s) were to buy, how to do certain pro-audio things, how to use pieces of equipment, etc.

I suppose throughout the years, I’ve learned more than I thought.  The other night, a couple of our new mics were distorting when the singer would really push.  Everyone was looking at me during the service and I was starting to panic.  It took me the whole night, but it suddenly just came to me to check the levels of each mic by using the PFL button and watch the meter on the mixer.  I did that and noticed that when I would “check” the mics hard, they would clip.  I was so embarrassed.  I know better than that, but I didn’t allow that to happen intentionally.  Checking the PFL was just something that didn’t occur to me until that point.  I lowered the gain until they were at the right level, and then increased the fader to get the volume back, and we have had no issues since then (we are in a revival, so currently using the mics every night). 

Anyways, I was so thankful that this came to my mind.  I am appreciative of this forum and to all of you for your help in my pro-audio studies.  Thank you for the time you dedicate to amateurs like me.

You show class by thanking the forum -- good form!
I think there are plenty of cool people involved in this "I Love Audio" club.  I, too, am thankful for this forum.

Jim Thorn

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 04:10:21 PM »

Expanding on what Dick Rees said.  I take a small signal source like my Itouch with a 3 min pink noise source and play it.  placing the lapel mic on it to adjust the transmitter Gains to the same level on theater systems.  I also check the receiver and the level of output to make sure it is a good level.  gain structure is important to low and noise, to high and it distorts.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 04:10:21 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 22 queries.