ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft UI16 wonky wireless  (Read 3852 times)

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
Soundcraft UI16 wonky wireless
« on: May 08, 2017, 09:00:11 AM »

For a monthly event I do, the group I work with borrows one from another member to regulate dj inputs, announcement mics, and various hippie instrument channels.  The mic pres are what they are, the user interface is quick enough for me, features fine for the cost of the mixer and I've gotten some great mixes out of it, but after a few major wireless issues, I am hesitant to even connect mic cables to this device any more.

Mixing a band with my laptop across the room, maybe 10m away, say maybe 150 people siting down between us, the wireless connection routinely cut out, forcing me to scramble to the mixer by the stage and do any further mixing using my phone.

Last night, despite being literally right next to the mixer, phones and laptops would connect to the mixer's wireless server, but it would no longer load up the html5 pages, so was as good as useless.

I suppose we can try ethernet cables or an external router, perhaps we are wishing too much.  As I've considered purchasing a similar surfaceless mixer from behringer or midas, how prevalent is this issue to w-lan based setups?   I know that every smart phone and water bag in the room is providing interference, but what actually works in practice?

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Soundcraft UI16 wonky wireless
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 09:39:24 AM »

The general rule is that the built in WIFI on subcompact mixers is good enough for testing the unit in the shop, and maybe enough for soundcheck, but cannot be relied on in a congested WIFI environment.  They simply can't handle it.

The solution is to use a wired network, or use your own, more robust wifi access point, with wired being the preferred solution.
Brian Jojade

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 09:57:40 AM »

Specifically for the Ui16/Ui12 units, the wireless service is basically useless.  SC has tried to fix it with the most recent firmware update (1.06) and it has indeed improved a bit, it's still not nearly as good as using a separate WF AP as Brian correctly noted.  Given the SC only operates in the 2.4 spectrum, you'll always have issues in a room full of cell phones on in the audience. 

I've had one for +1yr and experienced exactly what you've described.  It's helped me make the decision to move up to the new Ui24 where a number of the lower model issues have been addressed.

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 09:57:40 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.