ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha DBR10  (Read 14252 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Yamaha DBR10
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2017, 11:37:49 AM »

Play something loud and thumpy and they sound ok.

With just a vocal and guitar, there is something odd going on in the midrange and no wall of noise to hide in.

Some of my test tracks are Dianna Krahl and Nora Jones.  Some Ricki Lee Jones, too.

Bluegrass with Sam Bush - mandolin, guitars, bass, banjo and vocals.

Note I said there was something in the mid-mids that seemed to be rather forward to me... hey, these are $500 speakers and I don't expect them to sound like $2000 RCF or JBL or l'Acoustic.  If I needed that type of performance I'd have bought that type of product.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

kel mcguire

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2017, 12:44:05 PM »

Some of my test tracks are Dianna Krahl and Nora Jones.  Some Ricki Lee Jones, too.

Bluegrass with Sam Bush - mandolin, guitars, bass, banjo and vocals.

Note I said there was something in the mid-mids that seemed to be rather forward to me... hey, these are $500 speakers and I don't expect them to sound like $2000 RCF or JBL or l'Acoustic.  If I needed that type of performance I'd have bought that type of product.

yea, more like $399. Who buys a $400 powered speaker and simply expects it to sound just how they prefer? There are switches on the speaker that modify the sound and we have knobs and screens by which we can massage the sound. Without knowing how someone is using them, I consider that an incomplete review. My opinion is that these DBR are an overachiever product, performing above their price point. I've used them in so many situations where I've really been impressed. In no way have they been a handicap, unless they've been asked to do something they cannot. But, I admit, my capture range of "good enough" might be broader than others. And I view my job as getting out of the way of what makes an event great, and that's the talent, or anything before the mic.

My DBR are heading to Disneyland today. I keep considering upgrading to DXR12 for the better cabinet, power and composure when pushed, but these have been paid for for two years now..

Craig Smith

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 11:03:28 PM »

It's nice to see some discussion on these; when I researched them a little while ago there wasn't much.  When I first hooked them up I was a little disappointed, but when I get well I'll put them side by side with my old 10" Eons again and listen to a few more things.

Of course, we're talking about both 10s and 12s in this thread, which probably sound a little different.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:56:32 AM by Craig Smith »

Ianevans

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 11:34:00 PM »

Picked up 2 of these for us as monitors. Wow, they sound so clean. While setting up at practice even routed rhythm guitar through it and tuned it up and it sounded really clean.

My EV ZLX12p drum monitor also sounds good but I'm thinking I like the Yamahas better.

Added bonus is how ridiculously light they are.

Makes me contemplate selling our Mackie SRM550s and SRM1850 sub and getting DXR10/12s as mains and matching sub, or even just DBR12s as mains.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Just sell of your Mackie SRM550s and get dxr10. Combined it with QSC, EV, and this one feels really great. I used to have Mackie 450s almost the entire time, but decided to upgrade not only for the sounds quality, but also for lighter weight.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2017, 03:17:45 AM »

It's nice to see some discussion on these; when I researched them a little while ago there wasn't much.  When I first hooked them up I was a little disappointed, but when I get well I'll put them side by side with my old 10" Eons again and listen to a few more things.

Of course, we're talking about both 10s and 12s in this thread, which probably sound a little different.

I find the DBRs sound much more "alive" with the FOH or monitor processing compared to none, which sounds quite bland (for lack of a better word) to me.

Best wishes on your recovery.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

jesseweiss

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2017, 04:11:04 PM »

Just sell of your Mackie SRM550s and get dxr10. Combined it with QSC, EV, and this one feels really great. I used to have Mackie 450s almost the entire time, but decided to upgrade not only for the sounds quality, but also for lighter weight.
Believe me the temptation is high. I would probably sell the SRM 1850 sub too but I'm going to wait for now. Maybe in a few months I'll see. I want to compare the DXR and the Turbosound IQ, and maybe others, side by side before making a leap.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Craig Smith

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2017, 10:47:05 AM »

I find the DBRs sound much more "alive" with the FOH or monitor processing compared to none, which sounds quite bland (for lack of a better word) to me.

Best wishes on your recovery.

Chris

Thanks, and yes, they are definitely a bit dull without any EQ.  My initial impression was that they were heavy in the mids, similar to other comments here, but yet the vocals didn't stand out either.  My old Eons seemed to have clearer highs, lows, and vocals, yet I heard things in the DBRs that I didn't hear in the Eons, to the point of the DBRs sounding a bit muddy.  Maybe the Eons were just hyped in all the right places for what I was listening to.  Every speaker and every song is different, so I need to listen to some other music, especially vocal stuff. 

I'm curious how the 12s sound with the slight larger compression driver.  I remember the first time I heard the SRX712 with its large compression driver -- the vocals blew away everything else I was listening to at the time.  Of course, the top end was very dull without any EQ.

At any rate, my priorities for these were price, weight, reliability, and a stereo input.  It boiled down to these or the Mackies, and I think I made the right choice.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2017, 10:47:05 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.