ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha DBR10  (Read 14090 times)

jesseweiss

Re: Yamaha DBR10
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 06:06:33 PM »

I'm using mine as monitors so there's no real issue about bass or pushing them too much. Just vocals and a touch of guitars in them.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

kel mcguire

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 01:26:39 PM »

I'm using mine as monitors so there's no real issue about bass or pushing them too much. Just vocals and a touch of guitars in them.

when the DBR came out, I needed a pair of something for certain kinds of gigs, where KW152 are too big, too heavy, and where I didnt want to bring passive yamaha club series(my only remaining passive speakers besides QRx115). So, I bought a pair of DBR12s and took them same day to a gig. Two years later, I still have them, still use them all the time for lots of things, a great $850 expense.  I really like them. The cabinets are not as substantial as the DXR. they seem less mid forward. they have a smooth almost neutral high end. Very decent low end for small playback gigs. One in each hand load in. In hindsight the DBR10s would have been an even better choice.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2017, 12:06:42 AM »

It was this thread that pointed me to the DBR.  I too ended up with DBR12 (the Mike Pyle deal was too good) and I'm listening to one right now.  Roxy Music's Avalon(it's almost not fair, like using Steely Dan); Peter Gabriel's SO; Bonnie Raitt's Slipstream; Sam Bush's Circles Around Me;  Crack the Sky's Live Sky; a few other things.

So far, in "flat" mode and sitting on a rack about 30" off the floor it sounds un-hyped, which is good, but it also sounds a little mid-mid forward in the 500-800ish range.  I'm not sure I like the FOH mode but I'll need to get the speaker up in the air and get further away than my living room allows before passing judgement.  The flat mode sounds like it will well represent applied EQ changes... I'm driving this right off my Fios player.

Overall this is an impressive box.  Might have to take them to the shop and compare with some other things...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

cliff truesdell

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 01:49:33 AM »

You think so?...I just got a IQ18B and I can pick it up by myself quite easily. It is only 87lbs and quite a small box considering - square in shape and handles in a good position. The wheels are nice though .....

Debbie, have you had a chance to use the sub live yet?

Lyle Williams

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2017, 04:24:49 AM »

It was this thread that pointed me to the DBR.  I too ended up with DBR12 (the Mike Pyle deal was too good) and I'm listening to one right now.  Roxy Music's Avalon(it's almost not fair, like using Steely Dan); Peter Gabriel's SO; Bonnie Raitt's Slipstream; Sam Bush's Circles Around Me;  Crack the Sky's Live Sky; a few other things.

So far, in "flat" mode and sitting on a rack about 30" off the floor it sounds un-hyped, which is good, but it also sounds a little mid-mid forward in the 500-800ish range.  I'm not sure I like the FOH mode but I'll need to get the speaker up in the air and get further away than my living room allows before passing judgement.  The flat mode sounds like it will well represent applied EQ changes... I'm driving this right off my Fios player.

Overall this is an impressive box.  Might have to take them to the shop and compare with some other things...

Put them side by side with something better, and you will hear the issues.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2017, 10:39:08 AM »

Debbie, have you had a chance to use the sub live yet?

Not yet. All the shows so far have required more subbage than just the one...
One coming up on 6/3 is a possibility
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2017, 11:25:37 AM »

Put them side by side with something better, and you will hear the issues.

What issues?  Is there something that jumps out like a child's "monster under the bed"?

The DBR are not their more expensive Yammy siblings; they are not Nexo, they are not d&b; they aren't SRX/STX.  For the price paid they represent a great value and they sound pretty good.  I'm not using them for a band PA or EDM so perhaps my expectations are lower.

I don't expect the DBR to be something they are not, the question is how well do they perform in my intended use and for fun, how do they compare to more expensive products.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

kel mcguire

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2017, 12:29:30 PM »

What issues?  Is there something that jumps out like a child's "monster under the bed"?

The DBR are not their more expensive Yammy siblings; they are not Nexo, they are not d&b; they aren't SRX/STX.  For the price paid they represent a great value and they sound pretty good.  I'm not using them for a band PA or EDM so perhaps my expectations are lower.

I don't expect the DBR to be something they are not, the question is how well do they perform in my intended use and for fun, how do they compare to more expensive products.

I think my pair of DBR12s have been one of my best, surprisingly good investments. Paid for them in a few gigs. I've not owned Alto, Behringer or others in this price range, save for the EV LiveX originals. These yamahas have been way better. Flaws? For the price, none. It's not like they're totally missing 673hz or something, so there's nothing I'd uncover against my other choices. If anything, they are driving me to purchase some DXR replacements for my older passive stuffs. They're also great on my projector screen in the yard or inside. The cabinet isn't very damped, the input panel is pretty basic and reminds me of Yamaha switches and pots of the MG2414fx board.

For my trio band, the DBR have also been great. We've done some very high end gigs with them as mains. I haven't felt handicapped.

jesseweiss

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 04:54:37 PM »

Well said!

Lyle Williams

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 04:14:54 AM »

Play something loud and thumpy and they sound ok.

With just a vocal and guitar, there is something odd going on in the midrange and no wall of noise to hide in.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 04:14:54 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.