Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

2 way radios

(1/16) > >>

Jason Raboin:
Hi,

If you were buying 2 way radios today, what would you get?  I have a quote from Bearcom for Motorola BC130 and Motorola CP200D.  The BC130 are almost half the price.  This is for a sound company for touring, festivals, etc. 

Tim Hite:
As long as you're asking, is there a good resource for info on using such radios? It's my impression that these fall outside of the Amateur radio spectrum and don't require a license.

--- Quote from: Jason Raboin on May 05, 2017, 08:44:37 AM ---Hi,

If you were buying 2 way radios today, what would you get?  I have a quote from Bearcom for Motorola BC130 and Motorola CP200D.  The BC130 are almost half the price.  This is for a sound company for touring, festivals, etc.

--- End quote ---

Ray Aberle:
Henry Cohen will chime in on this.

We've got the Motorola CP200s, and they're great. We got them in the UHF band (440-470MHz) and they //do// require a license from the FCC. "Land Mobile," I think the classification was. Any reputable dealer will not program your radios unless you show them your license. [I say that because there are plenty of disreputable dealers who are all "Hey, we'll program these for free!" and they're not worried about the licensing. Why not? Because they're not the ones using them... *you* are the one who will face fines if you're caught using radios in a frequency band that you are not licensed to use.]

Since the licensing process was relatively simple and fairly cheap, I wouldn't recommend skipping that part of the process.

-Ray

Stephen Swaffer:
I have some CP200d's on loan for demo right now.  They are capable of either 136-174 Mhz or 403-470 Mhz-both of which include Amatuer bands as well as various services requiring a license. 

So, as always, "it depends" on how they are programmed as to if and what licenses are required.

There is a table you can download here:

https://www.fcc.gov/engineering-technology/policy-and-rules-division/radio-spectrum-allocation/general/table-frequency#block-menu-block-4

The FCC is a good place to start :).

Tim Hite:

--- Quote from: Ray Aberle on May 05, 2017, 12:37:36 PM ---. . .

Since the licensing process was relatively simple and fairly cheap, I wouldn't recommend skipping that part of the process.

-Ray

--- End quote ---

Ray,

Did you go get your license on your own or did you have a vendor do it for you? I just spoke to Bearcom and they wanted to handle it for me said I can't do it on my own. Seems strange.

I already have an FRN, but what class of license do I need to apply for?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version