Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

best way to measure amp draw with meter

(1/4) > >>

Jim Layton:
This has probably been discussed for ever but I could not find the right search term combo. I want to measure the amp draw of my PA systems, lighting, etc. I have my "small" JBL PRX rig and a Larger SRX/STX rig with iTechs/XTI 6002s. I want to see how much they draw at my events. I have a meter and clamp and have used this method on HVAC work in the past. I also have one of those line splitter plugs that allow you to clamp without cutting into the power cord. I plan on testing out my PA and monitors by using the splitter and meter at an upcoming event. I'll move the splitter around in between bands.

Any tips on what to look for? I imagine I will see some kind of peaks for sub hits (kick drum) and heavy screaming vocals.

I have always tried to give every amp or powered speaker a circuit but I am seeing I can combine a sub and cab and even a LED tree and not trip a breaker. I want to get a handle on what is really being pulled for amps

Thanks,
Jim

TJ (Tom) Cornish:

--- Quote from: Jim Layton on May 03, 2017, 03:53:38 PM ---This has probably been discussed for ever but I could not find the right search term combo. I want to measure the amp draw of my PA systems, lighting, etc. I have my "small" JBL PRX rig and a Larger SRX/STX rig with iTechs/XTI 6002s. I want to see how much they draw at my events. I have a meter and clamp and have used this method on HVAC work in the past. I also have one of those line splitter plugs that allow you to clamp without cutting into the power cord. I plan on testing out my PA and monitors by using the splitter and meter at an upcoming event. I'll move the splitter around in between bands.

Any tips on what to look for? I imagine I will see some kind of peaks for sub hits (kick drum) and heavy screaming vocals.

I have always tried to give every amp or powered speaker a circuit but I am seeing I can combine a sub and cab and even a LED tree and not trip a breaker. I want to get a handle on what is really being pulled for amps

Thanks,
Jim

--- End quote ---
The way it's done in the big leagues is via current meters in the distro, which have current transformers on each hot leg that are metered, and this data is occasionally logged or reviewed.  Your clamp meter is a lower-tech version of the same thing and will work. The problem with doing what you said is how to replicate a gig scenario in your shop.

Practically speaking, you may have at least as much success if you calculate the draw of your gear.  For amps and powered speakers, most publish power consumption at "1/8 power", which is about as much as they can draw before incurring damage.  Lighting loads should again be easy to calculate.

Bill Harvey:
I doubt you will see what you appear to be expecting. Most clamp on meters that I am familiar with will do a pretty good job showing of showing you the average current draw, and some of the pricier ones will even do a fair job of showing momentary peaks (for a slow definition of "momentary"), but as far as I'm aware it takes special equipment like a clamp-on sensor and a memory 'scope to show true peaks and transients so that you could see them. Kick drum transients would probably be on the order of a few milliseconds, and even if the clamp-on ammeter was somehow capable of responding that quickly, all you would see would be a flicker of digits. A recording power analyzer would work well, as would the aforementioned sensor/scope.

Disclaimer: There might be specialized tech out there of which I am unaware. If so, I would be very interested to learn of it...

Regards,

Bill

Stephen Swaffer:
Considering the fact that circuit breakers are "inverse time delay", if the concern is "tripping" breakers you would have to compare the breakers trip curve against the average current over various time periods.

TJ's method is probably best.  Next best would be akin to destructive testing-chart/record amp draws until you trip the breaker then you'll know your limit-problem is-how close to the edge do you want to walk during a gig?

Jim Layton:

--- Quote from: TJ (Tom) Cornish on May 03, 2017, 04:19:09 PM ---The way it's done in the big leagues is via current meters in the distro, which have current transformers on each hot leg that are metered, and this data is occasionally logged or reviewed.  Your clamp meter is a lower-tech version of the same thing and will work. The problem with doing what you said is how to replicate a gig scenario in your shop.

Practically speaking, you may have at least as much success if you calculate the draw of your gear.  For amps and powered speakers, most publish power consumption at "1/8 power", which is about as much as they can draw before incurring damage.  Lighting loads should again be easy to calculate.

--- End quote ---

I'm small league-Haha. I understand the inability to see the nanosecond peaks on a meter. I am going to try it at my next event while the bands are playing. I am curious what I will see and where the numbers go with basic metering equipment. We used to charge A/C compressors with Freon by measuring the amps on the compressor. It was many years ago. Different animal.

So. I have read several commentaries on "the proper" way to calculate amp load for PA gear. I saw a method on SOS that went like this:

2 x 240W active PA speakers   
480W x 1.4 = 672W   
672 / 230 = 2.92 Amps   

I don't recall the "conversion figure" definitions.

To make things simpler...I have read (here) about the how the transients won't always trip the breaker even though the draw exceeds the breaker rating. I've also read comments about  "hidden" appliances, fans and other equipment tied into a circuit. Been there too. I'm trying to get baseline figure so when I start counting outlets and breaker ratings I can be reasonably "sure" I am not overloading "assuming" nothing else is on it.

I often read how little amps smaller PA systems actually use. I suppose most of this experience is base on trial and error since you can't meter it accurately?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version