ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.5mm headphone jack messing up display  (Read 3760 times)

Aaron Stout

3.5mm headphone jack messing up display
« on: May 01, 2017, 02:42:15 PM »

Hey, I have a weird problem. I use a small mixer at my small church for sound and we project lyrics and announcements. Two Sundays ago when I plugged in the "tape input" line to the projecting laptop's 3.5mm headphone jack for video sound (which is what we always do), it messed up the display - it flickers the screen in a somewhat predictable pattern, or if the projector is connected, it shuts off the second display altogether. This happened on a Mac Book and a Dell Windows 10 laptop. This past week I ordered a 3.5mm to xlr cable to send the computer audio to a main channel instead of the tape input. Same problem.

Has anyone heard of an audio output interfering with display? Seems really foreign to me and Googling it shows nothing similar...

I am not sure about the quality/condition of our sound board but i know it has another problem that requires us to bypass all effects, unless we want to hear something like Niagara Falls coming out of the speakers...

My guess is the sound board is sending power through the tape input line?

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: 3.5mm headphone jack messing up display
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 02:44:56 PM »

Hey, I have a weird problem. I use a small mixer at my small church for sound and we project lyrics and announcements. Two Sundays ago when I plugged in the "tape input" line to the projecting laptop's 3.5mm headphone jack for video sound (which is what we always do), it messed up the display - it flickers the screen in a somewhat predictable pattern, or if the projector is connected, it shuts off the second display altogether. This happened on a Mac Book and a Dell Windows 10 laptop. This past week I ordered a 3.5mm to xlr cable to send the computer audio to a main channel instead of the tape input. Same problem.

Has anyone heard of an audio output interfering with display? Seems really foreign to me and Googling it shows nothing similar...

I am not sure about the quality/condition of our sound board but i know it has another problem that requires us to bypass all effects, unless we want to hear something like Niagara Falls coming out of the speakers...

My guess is the sound board is sending power through the tape input line?
Try going through a direct box or other computer audio interface.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 03:05:01 PM »

Try going through a direct box or other computer audio interface.

^ this

You likely need to isolate the signal grounds between the sound system and the video.

My guess is something changed from the time it worked. A new piece of gear? Things not powered from exactly the same outlets or power strips?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Aaron Stout

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 03:29:33 PM »

^ this

You likely need to isolate the signal grounds between the sound system and the video.

My guess is something changed from the time it worked. A new piece of gear? Things not powered from exactly the same outlets or power strips?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the prompt replies, friends! Sending the pc sound output through a DI box to a main channel did the trick. Not sure what changed in our system. Who knows who touched what, you know what I'm sayin? Haha

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber