ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Turbosound IQ18B purchase  (Read 19760 times)

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
Re: Cheap Turbosound IQ18B purchase
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 01:33:58 PM »

Thanks Kevin...

1st impression with the DSR112.....

Just in my rehearsal room.
I am used to hearing the DSRs with my PRX718xlf's at club/bar level.
So, at lowish levels compared to a show but as loud as I can reasonably get without visits from the neighbors:
Compared to the PRX718, the IQ18B doesn't go quite as low or loud, doesn't sound quite as 'defined' and sounds best set at 90hz so that it isn't over exerted.
Now, am I disappointed - hell no!..If the results had been any different, I'd be wondering why I own PRX and SRX subs and didn't save a bunch on getting 8 IQ18B's...
With that said, I am very in tune with how my system sounds with the PRX718's  but I doubt most folks would hear much difference.
This sub will do nicely for my purposes in small bars and I think anyone wanting to save some money and doesn't need deafening and very low bass, wouldn't go far wrong investing in one or two of these if they could be had at the right price - I'd say less than $750 each.

It's good to hear your opinion of the iQ18.  I'm considering adding an all iQ rig, 2-12's over 4-18's.  I have a pair of the 10's that are handy little boxes that sound decent.  They are more expensive than the Alto coax wedges but I love the Ultranet capability as I use Xair mixers. I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion after you use the 18 in anger.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 01:40:40 PM »

I'll see how it goes..... I might end up doing that Jay..thanks.
I replaced my cups with k&m (they have both cup and m20 versions) since the supplied cups was a too tight fit for some of my generic brand speaker poles.

A 3dB limiter would not be noticable so I would keep it 'off'. The peak and rms protection limiters are never turned off anyway...

I would recommend updating the firmware if you ever are going to use ultranet or play the sub around freezing temperatures.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 01:47:21 PM »

I replaced my cups with k&m (they have both cup and m20 versions) since the supplied cups was a too tight fit for some of my generic brand speaker poles.

A 3dB limiter would not be noticable so I would keep it 'off'. The peak and rms protection limiters are never turned off anyway...

I would recommend updating the firmware if you ever are going to use ultranet or play the sub around freezing temperatures.

Yes - I'm not sure I can do enough damage at the volumes I intend for this sub to warrant using the limiter at any setting quite frankly.
Firmware wise I doubt I'll need to do anything - although I will look at some point just to be thorough. No intentions of using ultranet or working in freezing temperatures.......yet.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2017, 01:51:31 PM »

It's good to hear your opinion of the iQ18.  I'm considering adding an all iQ rig, 2-12's over 4-18's.
As I wrote above I was recommended the iq15b for normal live pop and rock duties. If you can then compare both of them. It is not recommended to mix iq15b with iq18b. I currently own 4 iq15b and will probably add another two of them later this year...

cliff truesdell

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2017, 09:42:52 PM »

It's good to hear your opinion of the iQ18.  I'm considering adding an all iQ rig, 2-12's over 4-18's.  I have a pair of the 10's that are handy little boxes that sound decent.  They are more expensive than the Alto coax wedges but I love the Ultranet capability as I use Xair mixers. I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion after you use the 18 in anger.

I would like to hear the 10's. I've been using a pair of K10's the last few years and I would like to change things up a bit.

I'm really following this thread too about the subs. They really got my eye.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 09:19:39 AM »

I would like to hear the 10's. I've been using a pair of K10's the last few years and I would like to change things up a bit.

I don't have any experience with the K10s, so I can't correctly compare them. I will say that the iQ10 sounds very good to me. It gets plenty loud for the stages I use them on. They are easy to transport and sound very good as SOS for vocals only or acoustic acts.

They won't keep up with a bi amped QRx112/75, but I would never expect them to. I think they are a very nice sounding speaker that offers ultranet capability and gets loud enough for small stages or SOS duty.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2017, 09:27:46 AM »

As I wrote above I was recommended the iq15b for normal live pop and rock duties. If you can then compare both of them. It is not recommended to mix iq15b with iq18b. I currently own 4 iq15b and will probably add another two of them later this year...

Thanks Robert. What types of shows are you using the iQ15b on? My brain automatically goes to 18s when thinking about subs. I don't do any EDM or DJ stuff at all, just live bands and smaller acoustic gigs.

John Simoson

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2017, 11:20:06 AM »

I use a pair of IQ15B's under my K10's for acoustic trio (Acoustic Bass, 2 Guitars).  I use them for small bars too for an electric trio with drums.  Portable and add just enough punch to fill sound out.  Lightweight and good sturdy wheels and fit in an SUV.  If you get the covers for them make sure you special order the proper ones since the standard Turbosound cover doesnt take the casters into account.  MFR # TSPC15B2

Jay Marr

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2017, 12:40:45 PM »

I heard both of these 10's side by side.
Everyone in the room like the iQ's better....but it's not night and day.  If you already own the K10's, you won't be blown away with the difference.  Would only be worth it (to me) if the swap out didn't require a lot of cash.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2017, 05:10:23 PM »

A very wide diversity mix of genres. Anything from single songwriter to jazz, pop, rock punk garage rock, orchestral.

https://youtu.be/EU9cTGLUNZU

https://youtu.be/tQIiJFYBNDk

https://youtu.be/UKqAInnsUac
I was not running sound on this gig.

https://youtu.be/OlTRu543ffM

Thanks Robert. What types of shows are you using the iQ15b on? My brain automatically goes to 18s when thinking about subs. I don't do any EDM or DJ stuff at all, just live bands and smaller acoustic gigs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2017, 05:10:23 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.