ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Turbosound IQ18B purchase  (Read 19975 times)

cliff truesdell

Re: Cheap Turbosound IQ18B purchase
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2017, 03:47:15 AM »

I heard both of these 10's side by side.
Everyone in the room like the iQ's better....but it's not night and day.  If you already own the K10's, you won't be blown away with the difference.  Would only be worth it (to me) if the swap out didn't require a lot of cash.

Thanks for posting this.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 07:28:11 AM »

Hey Debbie,

Have you spent any quality time with the new sub yet? I used my iQ10s over subs FOH for a couple shows this weekend and was pretty impressed. I regularly use them on monitor duty and love them there as well.

I'm still leaning towards an all iQ rig later this year. I'm looking forward to your report :)

Thanks for the info Robert. I'm still trying to understand how the 15 would be a better choice, unless it sounds much better. The small footprint would be nice, and they are a little cheaper, but the 18 goes lower and louder. I don't know that anyone is using them locally, so a direct comparison would be tough. Maybe the Sweetwater guys will set a couple up for me. I'm about 45 minutes from them.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 10:47:22 AM »

I'm told that the iq15b is in most cases a better option than the iq18b. I've not been able to test my iq15b against the iq18b yet but people that I trust have told me this.

One design 'flaw' is that the amp vent is exposed if liquid or rain should run downwards from the top so I would make sure that this vent is protected from running liquid.

It would be interesting to hear them side by side.

I thought the same thing about the design.....so I made a little 'ledge' out of tape that I have applied to the cab at the top of the amp vent. It should be enough to direct any spills away from the inside of the cab without disrupting air flow.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2017, 01:24:31 AM »

So on Saturday I finally got to use my IQ18.  Small bar - questionable clientelle so the perfect place to test drive live.

I took my PRX712's for a change to make things easy, lightweight, easy load in, small footprint etc. ( haven't used them for a while for FOH and thought they might be fun)
First set I had the IQ18 processing set to PRX618xlf to try and get close to what I would usually use in a room like that - my PRX718xlf. HP set at 100hz.
The first thing I noticed was that the kick got a bit lost. EQ'd to get the best out of it that I could but couldn't get it as defined and hard hitting as I like it - bit soft and woofy. Similar thing with the bass..lacked definition and punch - not a bad tone though.
Second set I used the default IQ18 setting and it was noticeably better. Still not as meaty as the PRX718 but certainly closer and quite musical.
It doesn't hit as low as the PRX718 either which wasn't too much of a problem for me due to the program material but could be for others.
It performed  better than I had expected and IMO offers a very respectable bang for your buck if deployed correctly and not pushed beyond its capabilities. I had it putting out decent volume and kept it out of clipping.  I am very happy with my purchase and would be confident using it in small bars or when LF reinforcement is required at low volumes.

Regarding the PRX712's.... They sounded good and I was happy with them. Vocals were clear, guitar projected well. I still prefer my DSR112's for their clarity and separation but it was nice to try something different.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »

Thank you for the review Debbie. I have picked up an EV system for a song, so I doubt I'll be purchasing any iQ18 in the near future unless something changes. It's nice to know they perform well. The price is sure nice on them, and the deeper I get into Ultranet, the more attractive the iQ series is.

I prefer the Turbosound eq on the 10" and 12" cabinets myself. I think they probably trade SPL for low extension on the PRX618xlf setting. I've never really understood the modeling DSP on powered boxes. It seems like a marketing tool to me.

Anyways, thanks for sharing!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2017, 07:11:14 PM »

Thank you for the review Debbie. I have picked up an EV system for a song, so I doubt I'll be purchasing any iQ18 in the near future unless something changes. It's nice to know they perform well. The price is sure nice on them, and the deeper I get into Ultranet, the more attractive the iQ series is.

I prefer the Turbosound eq on the 10" and 12" cabinets myself. I think they probably trade SPL for low extension on the PRX618xlf setting. I've never really understood the modeling DSP on powered boxes. It seems like a marketing tool to me.

Anyways, thanks for sharing!

Pleased you got taken care of David and that you are happy with your choice. I always like to follow up when I say I am going to for the sake of those who might be considering these speakers or those who are just interested..

Jay Marr

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2017, 03:08:33 PM »

Pleased you got taken care of David and that you are happy with your choice. I always like to follow up when I say I am going to for the sake of those who might be considering these speakers or those who are just interested..

Thanks for the report out Debbie.  I know some friends that are thinking about these subs, so this is helpful.
Always appreciate road reports from gear that is within my budget.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2017, 04:22:59 PM »

U R welcome David and Jay.
I thought of a few more things.
Nice to use Powercons as I usually don't get to. Also,  although the pole is not M20 thread and is just a slot in, the pole fits nice and tight so doesn't sway much.
And lastly, .... it was nice to have a smaller ( although similar weight to my PRX) box to move around - good handle placement for lifting - and as the wheels are already installed, just one more thing that makes these subs a darn good buy.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2017, 05:49:08 PM »

So on Saturday I finally got to use my IQ18.  Small bar - questionable clientelle so the perfect place to test drive live.

Debbie, is this venue your "Test Dive"?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2017, 06:09:55 PM »

Debbie, is this venue your "Test Dive"?

LOL... yup   :D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2017, 06:09:55 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.