ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Turbosound IQ18B purchase  (Read 19759 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Re: Cheap Turbosound IQ18B purchase
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 04:37:54 PM »

. . .

Tim- Normally I would jump on getting a cover but I already own a PRX718xlf cover with 1/4" padding.

. . .

JBL cover on a Turbosound sub?

You're living on the edge.  8)

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 05:28:38 PM »

JBL cover on a Turbosound sub?

You're living on the edge.  8)

I know - right? ......Although it's not really a JBL cover.  It was made by a cover company for the PRX - BUT they embroidered JBL on it. I might have to remove it....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Kevin Bayersdorfer

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 12:39:06 AM »

A band I just do consultation for just bought two of these and they brought one to a rehearsal a few weeks ago, I was pretty impressed, even at the going rate they are pretty cheap compared to the competition. They weren't muddy and pretty musical for an 18. I really didn't get into the DSP. Pretty sure that paint is duratex. you could buy a pint in a bag then put it in another container for touch ups. I would be interested to hear your opinion with the DSR's   
https://www.parts-express.com/acry-tech-duratex-black-1-pint-roller-grade-cabinet-texture-coating-kit-with-textured-3-ro--260-100

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 12:40:03 AM »

A band I just do consultation for just bought two of these and they brought one to a rehearsal a few weeks ago, I was pretty impressed, even at the going rate they are pretty cheap compared to the competition. They weren't muddy and pretty musical for an 18. I really didn't get into the DSP. Pretty sure that paint is duratex. you could buy a pint in a bag then put it in another container for touch ups. I would be interested to hear your opinion with the DSR's   
https://www.parts-express.com/acry-tech-duratex-black-1-pint-roller-grade-cabinet-texture-coating-kit-with-textured-3-ro--260-100

Thanks Kevin...

1st impression with the DSR112.....

Just in my rehearsal room.
I am used to hearing the DSRs with my PRX718xlf's at club/bar level.
So, at lowish levels compared to a show but as loud as I can reasonably get without visits from the neighbors:
Compared to the PRX718, the IQ18B doesn't go quite as low or loud, doesn't sound quite as 'defined' and sounds best set at 90hz so that it isn't over exerted.
Now, am I disappointed - hell no!..If the results had been any different, I'd be wondering why I own PRX and SRX subs and didn't save a bunch on getting 8 IQ18B's...
With that said, I am very in tune with how my system sounds with the PRX718's  but I doubt most folks would hear much difference.
This sub will do nicely for my purposes in small bars and I think anyone wanting to save some money and doesn't need deafening and very low bass, wouldn't go far wrong investing in one or two of these if they could be had at the right price - I'd say less than $750 each.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:51:30 AM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Brandon Scopel

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 11:12:58 AM »

Thanks Kevin...

1st impression with the DSR112.....

Just in my rehearsal room.
I am used to hearing the DSRs with my PRX718xlf's at club/bar level.
So, at lowish levels compared to a show but as loud as I can reasonably get without visits from the neighbors:
Compared to the PRX718, the IQ18B doesn't go quite as low or loud, doesn't sound quite as 'defined' and sounds best set at 90z so that it isn't over exerted.
Now, am I disappointed - hell no!..If the results had been any different, I'd be wondering why I own PRX and SRX subs and didn't save a bunch on getting 8 IQ18B's...
With that said, I am very in tune with how my system sounds with the PRX718's  but I doubt most folks would hear much difference.
This sub will do nicely for my purposes in small bars and I think anyone wanting to save some money and doesn't need deafening and very low bass, wouldn't go far wrong investing in one or two of these if they could be had at the right price - I'd say less than $750 each.

Depending how they play with the IQ8&10, I may look at getting a pair.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 11:49:41 AM »

Depending how they play with the IQ8&10, I may look at getting a pair.

If I can get very decent results using it with the DSR, I think you'll probably be very satisfied with the results checking them out with their own family.....

I like the fact this sub is quite small compared to both the PRX and the SRX. I find that the PRX is high and deep and that the SRX is VERY deep. This can be inconvenient in smaller bars where the Sub has to be very exposed where folks are dancing ( and being stupid sometimes). This will sit a bit further back and closer to the stage (area). Again, this will help me when used for the purpose I bought it - (small and rough bars)
Disappointed it doesn't have an M20 pole thread but fortunately I had an old slot in pole I can use and my Gator gas assists came with  adaptors to use for either style. The pole mount is nice and tight though - not sloppy at all.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 11:52:12 AM »

Did you try the prx618s modeling emulation? Why did you set the limiter?

Jay Marr

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2017, 12:10:33 PM »

If I can get very decent results using it with the DSR, I think you'll probably be very satisfied with the results checking them out with their own family.....

I like the fact this sub is quite small compared to both the PRX and the SRX. I find that the PRX is high and deep and that the SRX is VERY deep. This can be inconvenient in smaller bars where the Sub has to be very exposed where folks are dancing ( and being stupid sometimes). This will sit a bit further back and closer to the stage (area). Again, this will help me when used for the purpose I bought it - (small and rough bars)
Disappointed it doesn't have an M20 pole thread but fortunately I had an old slot in pole I can use and my Gator gas assists came with  adaptors to use for either style. The pole mount is nice and tight though - not sloppy at all.

OnStage makes some M20 pole mount cups that are pretty cheap....I'd grab one of those and swap it out.
I did that on a couple of subs because i prefer the stability of the M20 thread.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2017, 12:50:42 PM »

Did you try the prx618s modeling emulation? Why did you set the limiter?
I didn't try the PRX618 modeling yet because I had read that it is not very true - which makes sense otherwise again, why buy a PRX618,718,818?. I am still playing with it so I will go through everything eventually just to try all the modeling.

I tried it with and without the limiter but at these volumes-it made no difference. I turned it off - I won't be pushing it too hard anyway, so not sure it matters.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2017, 12:51:49 PM »

OnStage makes some M20 pole mount cups that are pretty cheap....I'd grab one of those and swap it out.
I did that on a couple of subs because i prefer the stability of the M20 thread.

I'll see how it goes..... I might end up doing that Jay..thanks.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2017, 12:51:49 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.