ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EQ Approach To New Mixer  (Read 4571 times)

Philip Angell

Re: EQ Approach To New Mixer
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 03:46:46 PM »

Lota of great information.   Thanks everyone.

Let me clarify the question a bit to keep to maybe help.   We have several Presonus 16.4.2 boards.  We have perhaps twenty venues stored with tweaks for each venue.   The scenes are backed up on a pc as well, so the boards could be swapped and the scenes recalled very easily.   The scenes are also stored on an external hard drive so even the pc is backed up.

Now I'm thinking of upgrading to the new Series iii Presonus, or maybe to Yamaha or Midas. 

My question is would the EQ settings for the band in a venue be a better starting point than 16 channels, mains and aux's, all set to flat. That's where I assumed that would be a better baseline.

I would have thought the existing EQ settings would be a better starting point  but I'm learning my logic was incorrect.  That's why I come here, to get smarter.  😀

Thanks for the great info.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 04:17:21 PM »

I understand your thought process but the flaw in your logic is that boards don't color the sound. Obviously they must or we'd all be using x32s and call it a day.

Even if they technically didn't color it EQ-wise ( and I'm not saying they don't) we know some boards sound better than others, and therefore give us a more accurate or perhaps clearer representation of the the input we feed them.

So if you're making channel EQ tweaks on your current board for enhanced clarity in your mix there is zero reason to believe the same tweak is required on your new board to obtain the same level of clarity.  Since you cannot possibly know that in advance the only logical option is start flat.

*edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:08:43 AM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 07:04:02 PM »

Although resetting to flat is the way to go you could have things in the ball park. Low cut filters on vocal's. Some eq settings as far as frequencies. Have the low eq set to around 80hz on the bass drum although still with no boost or cut, low/mid 250 , have the high filter set at around 3.5k again with no boost/cut.  Have general eq filters set just not adjusted +/- yet per channel.
Rough things out to be ready to go.
Douglas R. Allen

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 06:54:53 AM »

I would have to agree with douglas t allen. Even though every setup is different, the main problem frequencies per channel stay about the same.

I used to dial in those frquencies, only not as much as would be sometimes required. So instead of -8 dB i would cut 4 dB and listen what happens, and adjust accordingly.
This was mostly at festivals, with no soundcheck, only linecheck.

Edit:

Since i went digital i have a different default setting per venue. Some venues i visit every week.Gates and compressors are all set, but are set at levels so they don't do anything. Lowcut on vocals etc. Monitor sends down, monitor eq set, fx sends at drums and vocals set. Main eq also set. Still i find myself adjusting the main eq. Depends on type of music, and mainly how many visitors. The other big factor is the foh engineer. They are usually human. Everyone has their own style of mixing, so all you can do is giving them a setting which is workable, but will never be perfect. Next time, same engineer will do things different.

I wouldn't worry about which desk is used, as long as it is the right tool for the job. As i said: other factors play a lot bigger role.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:30:47 AM by Geert Friedhof »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 06:54:53 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.