ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Turbosound IQ18B purchase  (Read 19763 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Cheap Turbosound IQ18B purchase
« on: May 01, 2017, 12:48:29 PM »

Yesterday I ordered a B stock Turbosound IQ18B sub.... Yeah - a bit out of the left field for me - right?.......Well, it came up at $460 with 45 days to return it -  and I have a plan.

I like to keep my stuff in good condition as anyone who has seen my gear will attest to so I refuse to do shows where I feel my gear might be exposed to damage or spills.  However, I have been turning down some shows for this reason when I could probably be OK with some careful planning. ( I know - its a shame I even have think to this way).....
In one particular bar, I always feel that it is the sub that get hammered, kicked, used as a table etc ( small place and only one sub needed) as it is so much more exposed than anything else. 
I don't use wedges anymore (for my main band) so no beer spills there.
My mixer, router and iem rack sit way back on stage, I use SM58's so if they go over, no biggie and my tops are relatively safe on stands I suppose -  :-\ .  I mix wirelessly so no cabling to worry about either.
I figured if I get something that I won't mind getting beat up a bit, I could use it on those precarious shows. It will be paid for in less than a couple of shows at that price. So if it goes south, its not that big a deal.

I have read some favorable reviews on the IQ18B and although it won't get to the levels I can attain on my SRX818/828 or even my PRX718xlf, I never get much beyond 2/3's of my sub capability in small bars anyway.

On the other hand, if I hate it, I can return it OR even sell it on with very little loss.

So... not a huge investment and not what I really would have liked ( I wanted another PRX718xlf but even if I could find one being cleared out at $799, I am not sure I want to invest that much) ...........but I am intrigued as to how well it will do.

I'll report back but might not use it for a few weeks.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

John P. Farrell

Re: Cheap Turbosound IQ18B purchase
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 03:56:03 PM »

I bought a few of the IQ 12" wedges for a club we installed a rig in.  The ultranet was the selling point since we put an M32 there.  The idea is that they live at the venue for smaller, acoustic or in-house operated shows.  We bring in a monitor rig for full bands.  For the price I was very pleased, and I won't cry if (when) someone spills a drink all over them or they get knocked around a bit by housemen moving tables/chairs/whatever.  Sonically they get fairly loud while staying stable and have a nice footprint.  They don;t sound like a 12AM, but they don't cost as much either;)
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 04:00:00 PM »

I'm told that the iq15b is in most cases a better option than the iq18b. I've not been able to test my iq15b against the iq18b yet but people that I trust have told me this.

One design 'flaw' is that the amp vent is exposed if liquid or rain should run downwards from the top so I would make sure that this vent is protected from running liquid.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 05:13:58 PM »

I'm told that the iq15b is in most cases a better option than the iq18b. I've not been able to test my iq15b against the iq18b yet but people that I trust have told me this.

One design 'flaw' is that the amp vent is exposed if liquid or rain should run downwards from the top so I would make sure that this vent is protected from running liquid.

I've heard a pair of the 15's and was amazed at their output

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 07:47:12 PM »

Hadn't heard that Robert, but I wasn't looking for this brand anyway, I just came across it online at the right price and had read good reviews. We will see I suppose.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 09:25:03 PM »

It's a fine sub at that price. Also has DSP speaker emulation, which may help it better match up with you existing tops.

I own a set of TS Siena tops and 18 subs and it all works well. Bought them for monitor wedges and rental duty.

Turbo sound also makes fairly nice padded covers for a reasonable price. I believe the IQ sub cover slips on after you flip it onto its wheels. Should help you keep it looking nice.

Yesterday I ordered a B stock Turbosound IQ18B sub.... Yeah - a bit out of the left field for me - right?.......Well, it came up at $460 with 45 days to return it -  and I have a plan. . .

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Brandon Scopel

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 11:16:04 PM »

Can I bring my IQ8s and iq10s over to see how they work together?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 12:45:14 PM »

Can I bring my IQ8s and iq10s over to see how they work together?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Of course  :)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 04:59:13 PM »

It arrived to day. It is pretty marked up - I'm not used to that - BUT that is the risk I took I suppose with a B stock cab. It was also deliberate because of the places I will be using it ...... Amazes me just how much someone can mark up a speaker in a  short time. This was supposed to be a return so how long can someone have owned it?
They didn't send any wheels with it either which should have been included. I called them and a guy told me he'd send them to me. After about 10 minutes, I checked the shipping notice in my email and he had arranged to send tiny little Ernie Ball amp wheels - DUH!
I  called back and spoke to a different guy - told him the wheels being sent to me will not fit or be substantial enough and he is looking into getting the right ones for me....I needs my wheels...had to move it to where I needed it on a dolly...might have to eat it though under the circumstances and get my own.. Ironically none of the ones I have will fit.

PowerCon cable was included - Yay- and a manual.

Anyway,
To the sound....

I checked it out with some pre record music and it sounds pretty nice. Not woofy at all (which I hate) and quite musical. Has quite a nice thump with some decent headroom - hard to tell just how much in my rehearsal room...Obviously only a show will tell how powerful it is for my needs. I went through the DSP and set everything flat and pretty standard for now - EQ flat, crossover at 100hz, no other sub emulation etc. I'll play with it to see how it sounds with my DSR's. Using my little DXR with it right now just to check it out.

I have already filled the holes and scratches with wood filler and I will sand just those areas down and give them a coat of paint. It is wood finish so pretty basic. I've also bent back part of the grille that was a little dinged - I think I'll get it looking pretty close to brand new again.
I also added a year warranty to it as it came with only 45 days. Cost me an extra $49 and extends my trial period to 60 days.
So all in all it cost just over $500 shipped.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 02:47:17 PM »

I went back into the DSP and set the limiter to -3db. Also set the crossover at 90db to not over extend it - I think it sounds a little nicer with the DXR ... I'll check it out with the DSR at some point.
I am quite impressed and for the money I spent, I think I did OK.

Tim- Normally I would jump on getting a cover but I already own a PRX718xlf cover with 1/4" padding. They sent me 2 non-matching covers when I bought mine for my PRX's a few years ago and the case company let me keep it when they replaced it. It works with the wheels on the iq18B and some padding over the grill to get closer to the right height when on its back- So that was a bonus.

Brandon - let me know when you want to play.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 02:47:17 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.