ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: KSM 8 Blues....  (Read 2273 times)

John Chiara

KSM 8 Blues....
« on: April 30, 2017, 11:09:07 PM »

Well, we have conclusively determined that our Shure KSM8 mics/wireless mics are far from optimal for rock shows on smaller stages. The low GBF compared to other mics and their very neutral sound signature compared to say B58's...has us looking for options.

John Rutirasiri

Re: KSM 8 Blues....
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 11:17:26 PM »

John, sorry to hear you didn't get good results with these.  There seems to be no gray area on the KSM8...they either work very well or not work for different folks.

I'm curious to know how you positioned the floor monitors with these...was it a single wedge in front of each vocalist, two toed in, etc.? 

Thanks,
John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Peter Morris

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 01:22:48 AM »

Well, we have conclusively determined that our Shure KSM8 mics/wireless mics are far from optimal for rock shows on smaller stages. The low GBF compared to other mics and their very neutral sound signature compared to say B58's...has us looking for options.

My experience with GBF is slightly less than a B52, but the sound quality is quite different and some people will not like it especially those that pitch from the upper harmonics of their voice as a way to get on top of the stage sound of the guitars and drums.

FWIW this is what I said in a previous threat about the KSM8

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,160286.msg1473408.html#msg1473408

I have a few of the KSM 8s. They sound very smooth and natural with a much reduced proximity effect. The gain before feedback is similar to a B58.

If you have an excellent PA they sound wonderful, much better than a B58, but those who are looking for that ice-pick in the forehead sound that some people associate with clarity will probably not like them especially in monitors.
I often boost a little around 5 KHz in monitors for those people that are looking for the more aggressive sound of the B58.
I have A/B them with KSM9, B58, 58, AE5400, AE6100, KSM105

As I said above they are smooth and natural sounding, not quite as detailed as a Neumann KSM105 or AE5400 but their proximity behaviour and gain before feedback is better.”

“Yes in the “real world” things are different; you have fold-back and a bunch instruments on stage spilling into your mic.
On vocals (in the real world) compared to a B58 I find the sound smooth, warm and full … more natural.  In most applications I prefer this however there are some applications where the cut of the B58 is better.

Musicians that have some hearing loss, who like a hard cutting sound will prefer the B58.”
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 01:36:13 AM by Peter Morris »

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 01:41:36 AM »

People still use wedges?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 05:54:24 AM »

A mic is like any tool. Different choices for different jobs.
I have used KSM8 and Neuman 105s  on fairly quiet stages with great results but would choose a different mic for a rock stage.
Even different singers sound better with specific mics and, as much as I like all the same capsules across the vocal group, I will use a different mic on a  specific singer if it compliments their voice and style.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 06:15:53 AM »

Good thread on the classic @ http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,160286.0.html

I own 10 of them, 4 wireless and 6 wired.  I've used them now with ~8 different bands and no complaints.  There have been a few times early on I've swapped it out with something else and mostly returned to the KSM8 (it wasn't the mic, shitty source!).

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 07:05:15 AM »

I use the KSM8 regularly on a worship leader in front of a pretty loud band. Used to use a b58 head. I will never go back.

That said, there are a bunch of shows I just throw 58's up because it's the best choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Braziel

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 01:44:42 PM »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 01:44:42 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.