ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure Axient Digital  (Read 24187 times)

TomBoisseau

Re: Shure Axient Digital
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 11:38:27 PM »

So...

Anyone yet had a chance to use the Axient Digital systems and what were your impressions?  I am seriously considering purchasing 16 channels worth when the ADX transmitters become available.

Thanks,
Tom

Scott Helmke

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 07:34:04 AM »

We brought an AD system to our usual football gig (ref mic is analog Axient), and put the pack on the ref wrangler.  It did quite well, better coverage than the analog system. 

TomBoisseau

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 04:50:52 PM »

We brought an AD system to our usual football gig (ref mic is analog Axient), and put the pack on the ref wrangler.  It did quite well, better coverage than the analog system.

Scott,

Thanks for your response.  Anyone else used the Axient Digital systems?

Tom

DavidTurner

Shure Axient Digital
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 12:35:14 AM »

I have been using 6 channels since August. You will love the ease of set up, the wide tuning range and the ability to sync without opening the battery compartment. Scanning and deploying an Rf solution via WWB is really easy. The alert when the system detects interference is a cool feature.

One caveat: I had to switch my lead singer back to UHFR because the extra little bit of latency caused issues with his in ear monitors. During our downtime at tour's end I intend to upgrade my mixer to 96k (i.e. install Stealth core 2) to see if that will reduce the latency enough to allow me to switch everybody to AXD.

Shure support says it will only save "micro seconds" for the mic, but Digico claims it will halve (to <1ms) the latency of my SD8. Hopefully that will be enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:45:47 AM by DavidTurner »

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 08:08:19 AM »

I have been using 6 channels since August. You will love the ease of set up, the wide tuning range and the ability to sync without opening the battery compartment. Scanning and deploying an Rf solution via WWB is really easy. The alert when the system detects interference is a cool feature.

One caveat: I had to switch my lead singer back to UHFR because the extra little bit of latency caused issues with his in ear monitors. During our downtime at tour's end I intend to upgrade my mixer to 96k (i.e. install Stealth core 2) to see if that will reduce the latency enough to allow me to switch everybody to AXD.

Shure support says it will only save "micro seconds" for the mic, but Digico claims it will halve (to <1ms) the latency of my SD8. Hopefully that will be enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't think the SD8 could do 96K.  I didn't look closely since the DiGiRack I have won't do 96K anyways, so I could be wrong.

If you don't need lots of automation & professing on the lead vox channel one latency avoidance measure is to split that mic feed and run it into a small external mixer and the rest of his mix from the console into it. Then out to ears.  That way his vox runs a faster path.

DavidTurner

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 02:49:45 PM »

To the OP: Sorry for the topic swerve. I believe you will be happy with the Axient System.

To Erik: I had read somewhere that the V2 upgrade allowed 96khz processing. After reading your response I checked with Digico. Evidently the SD8 w/V2 will do 96K, but my MADI rack won't. Thanks for the heads up. i've got to re-think this.

I didn't think the SD8 could do 96K.  I didn't look closely since the DiGiRack I have won't do 96K anyways, so I could be wrong.

If you don't need lots of automation & professing on the lead vox channel one latency avoidance measure is to split that mic feed and run it into a small external mixer and the rest of his mix from the console into it. Then out to ears.  That way his vox runs a faster path.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 06:02:02 PM »

Anyone else used the Axient Digital systems?

For the Macy's T-Day Parade and the week after, the Christmas in Rockefeller Center Tree Lighting, Josh Flower and I used 12 Axient RX in quadversity mode for a total of 24 mics.  The results are amazing.  Even with higher noise floor on 34th street almost directly under the Empire State building the audio was flawless.  Spreading the antennas A/B at the host platform, C/D at the main stage and remotely over fiber, A/B split to also cover 6th avenue around the corner, there was no place from 6th avenue and 33rd street to almost 7th avenue on 34th street without a solid lock on all channels.

Notice in the pix that each channel shows 4 RF levels.

Josh specified some Wisycom equipment to help.  The MFL RF over fiber extended the A/B antennas over to 6th avenue.  The MAT antenna switch was setup for 4 in and 4 out control.  The 4 outputs fed 2 Sennheiser antenna DA to feed the 2 racks of the Axient (and 1 Audio Technica) receivers.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 06:38:57 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 04:09:33 AM »

I asked if the frequencies were set manually and stayed until manually changed, or if they hopped.  I was told they move on their own, but not full hopping.  I put it on my mental list to confirm later. 

AD currently does not have remote control of the TX.  When You set the frequency it is fixed until you manually change it and re-sync the TX.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

TomBoisseau

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 09:52:58 AM »

What are you doing for batteries and what sort of running time are you getting?  Shure seems to be "encouraging" us to buy there rechargeable packs, but they are a bit pricey (especially the chargers) and I'm not a fan of sending out rechargeables for a rental.

Also, it seem the ADX transmitters, if you don't use the rechargeables, require some sort of battery sled/adapter that makes it possible to us AAA's.  I'm a bit concerned as to the run time with AAA's and how flimsy the adapter will be.

Tom

DavidTurner

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 10:14:07 AM »

You can use AAs without the adaptor.

What are you doing for batteries and what sort of running time are you getting?  Shure seems to be "encouraging" us to buy there rechargeable packs, but they are a bit pricey (especially the chargers) and I'm not a fan of sending out rechargeables for a rental.

Also, it seem the ADX transmitters, if you don't use the rechargeables, require some sort of battery sled/adapter that makes it possible to us AAA's.  I'm a bit concerned as to the run time with AAA's and how flimsy the adapter will be.

Tom

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 10:14:07 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.