ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fender Stratocaster XII  (Read 7247 times)

Jeff Bankston

Fender Stratocaster XII
« on: April 27, 2017, 12:23:58 AM »

After searching everywhere everyday for a year and a half I finally found the rare RED Fender Strat 12 sting for sale. I now own it. I have a black one and a red one. I changed the pick guard on the red one to black. I also bought another Fender silver face Twin Reverb. I have no money, no girlfriend, no life. BUT I have a few geetars and amps !
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 12:31:12 AM by Jeff Bankston »

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Fender Stratocaster XII
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 01:39:17 AM »

I never understood the appeal of 12 string guitars. But, I'm a saxophone player, so that would be like have a saxophone with two sets of keys for every note. Seems more complicated than it needs to be.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 03:19:36 AM »

I never understood the appeal of 12 string guitars. But, I'm a saxophone player, so that would be like have a saxophone with two sets of keys for every note. Seems more complicated than it needs to be.
the 12 gives a kind of jangly sound. the 4 top additional strings are tuned an octave higher. George Harrison played a 12 string on many Beatles songs. Lots of songs with a 12 string. Ricky Reynolds of Black Oak Arkansas played 12 string rhythm in the 70's for BOA. Its a different sound from a 6 string.

Tim Halligan

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 03:49:51 AM »

The old joke goes that 12-string players spend half their lives tuning, and the other half playing out of tune.

::)

Cheers,
Tim

PS. Congrats!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 03:51:56 AM by Tim Halligan »
An analogue brain in a digital world.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 04:50:20 AM »

The old joke goes that 12-string players spend half their lives tuning, and the other half playing out of tune.

::)

Cheers,
Tim

PS. Congrats!
lol ! I use d'addario strings and replaced the .008 G with a .010 G. G wizz ! lol ! Tuning isnt bad at all. I can tune the 12 string in a fraction of the time it takes me to tune my drums. I use a Snark tuner and the d'addarios stay in tune really good. now super slinky strings would be a tuning nightmare. lol

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 07:50:56 AM »

Nice score!

I've got an Acoustic/Electric 12, but have been keeping eyes out for a solidbody one.  As much use as it'd likely get, the Dano reissue would probably suffice for me.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 01:30:52 PM »

Do you have a Rick too?  I've thought about the Dano, just to have that sound for the occasional use.  Not sure what I'd do with two 12s though.  :)

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 03:34:39 PM »

Do you have a Rick too?  I've thought about the Dano, just to have that sound for the occasional use.  Not sure what I'd do with two 12s though.  :)
No Rick 12 but my landlords name is Rick ! I'm not gonna get a Rick. After I bought the black 12 I found out Fender made a red and a sunburst 12. I just had to have a red one to go with the black one. These 12's were made from 1988-1997 and came in red,black and sunburst with the jag tail and 22 frets. Around 2001 Fender started making them again in sunburst, blue, burgundy with a different tail and 21 frets. I dont like the blue or burgundy. sunburst is nice and I might get a sunburst one and there have been several for sale. I have a sunburst P bass.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 04:50:20 PM »

the 12 gives a kind of jangly sound. the 4 top additional strings are tuned an octave higher. George Harrison played a 12 string on many Beatles songs. Lots of songs with a 12 string. Ricky Reynolds of Black Oak Arkansas played 12 string rhythm in the 70's for BOA. Its a different sound from a 6 string.

I have been playing guitar for 40 years and have never heard anyone refer to the E, A, D and G strings as the top 4 strings. Is that common?  MAybe I'm the oddball.

To me they're the bottom or lower strings.  Of course I have almost always been the only guitar player in the bands I have been in. None of the other muscians ever played six string. Neither did the drummer (rimshot)

I love playing twelve stringed acoustics, never played an electric one. I am imagine being a Strat it's easy to play.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 05:23:31 PM »

I've also seen Epi Riviera 12s and Gibson 335 12s which are interesting in that they are less bright and not as jangly. 

Usually I think of McGuinn's Rick with the Byrds when I think of 12 strings although George did some signature parts as well.  Any Time At All pops into my head.

Agreed that I also think of them as the bottom four strings.  Which is one of the problems trying to emulate one with effects.  You can use an octave pitch shifter to get the lower sound, or a chorus to get the upper sound (Metheny was trying to emulate a 12 string with his unique stereo delay thing) but you can't get both unless you're running some kind of synth thing.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 05:23:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.