ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX828SP polarity?  (Read 3205 times)

Kent Clasen

JBL SRX828SP polarity?
« on: April 25, 2017, 04:59:06 PM »

Am I missing the polarity switch? Have looked in the iOS app and Audio Architect. I am not seeing it. Have looked at the "manual".

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: JBL SRX828SP polarity?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 05:21:10 PM »

You will need to call JBL.  It involves tea leaves and chicken bones and a visit by the ghost of Marie Laveau - and even that might not work.*

A polarity-flipping XLR adapter might be easier.

For a Really Good Time choose the File menu and Print Parameter Values (htm file to your browser).  I'm getting old and blind (har!) but I didn't find a parameter for output polarity; a find-in-page search didn't reveal a "pol" anywhere.  Hmmm.  It's an interesting look at the stuff you can change (EQs for days) and a whole bunch of stuff you can no touchy.

Harman has a whole bunch of money behind the foundational design of this thing.

* Edit ps - there has to be a way to do polarity or how do they do the cardioid setting (in my example)?  When I was looking at the parameters file I was not connected to the physical device, just looking at the device in Audio Architect 1.95.

Futher ah-ha! moment:  the parameter is called "Invert".  In Object (22.15.x) Channel Processing Output.  Access to this requires a Mayan sacrifice. /satire

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 05:42:12 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 05:58:06 PM »

You will need to call JBL.  It involves tea leaves and chicken bones and a visit by the ghost of Marie Laveau - and even that might not work.*

A polarity-flipping XLR adapter might be easier.

For a Really Good Time choose the File menu and Print Parameter Values (htm file to your browser).  I'm getting old and blind (har!) but I didn't find a parameter for output polarity; a find-in-page search didn't reveal a "pol" anywhere.  Hmmm.  It's an interesting look at the stuff you can change (EQs for days) and a whole bunch of stuff you can no touchy.

Harman has a whole bunch of money behind the foundational design of this thing.

* Edit ps - there has to be a way to do polarity or how do they do the cardioid setting (in my example)?  When I was looking at the parameters file I was not connected to the physical device, just looking at the device in Audio Architect 1.95.

Futher ah-ha! moment:  the parameter is called "Invert".  In Object (22.15.x) Channel Processing Output.  Access to this requires a Mayan sacrifice. /satire

Kent,
Create a new custom panel.  (Add Devices Ribbon Bar, New, Standard)(Click ok For Panel Name)

Find the parameter Tim pointed to on the Venue Tree on the left (Room1, SRX828P, SRX828P, CH1 Processing Output, Invert[1], and CH2, and drag from tree onto new panel, click "button - latching".

Launch Panel, buy clicking Launch panel on ribbon.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 06:00:28 PM by David Sturzenbecher »
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 06:16:57 PM »

Kent,
Create a new custom panel.  (Add Devices Ribbon Bar, New, Standard)(Click ok For Panel Name)

Find the parameter Tim pointed to on the Venue Tree on the left (Room1, SRX828P, SRX828P, CH1 Processing Output, Invert[1], and CH2, and drag from tree onto new panel, click "button - latching".

I liked the Voodoo ritual... ;)

The parameter dump is illuminating.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kent Clasen

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 07:40:16 PM »

Kent,

David-
Not sure how I missed this  :) Wow, thanks for the info! I don't mind things being out of site, but geez I believe the SRX812 etc have a button on the panel... and JBL tech support is hit or miss in my experience even as a dealer...

Kent Clasen

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 07:44:45 PM »

I liked the Voodoo ritual... ;)

The parameter dump is illuminating.

Good stuff Tim!
I have been reading about Tiahaunaco so I was into giving the ceremony a try! Dern it.

Aram Piligian

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 07:29:12 AM »

Kent,

Even better, open the existing control panel for the sub, right click in the title bar and hit "convert to custom panel," and add the button where JBL left it out!

Kent Clasen

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 12:59:07 PM »

Kent,

Update: I created a button. I found that if I selected only CH1 Processing output INVERT it worked. Kind of. When I convert to custom panel, I lose a bunch of buttons & display. The button in the off position sounds weird, low output and distorted. BUT I was able to store the 80Hz preset to Preset 8, connect with AA and press the button to invert and store it at 80Hz (-POL). 

I called Harman and talked to a guy who is calling me back after he talks to an expert.

So some chicken bones ARE required to accomplish this seemingly basic function  :o

Kent Clasen

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 01:01:18 PM »

After convert to custom panel and added the invert ON button. I had also copy/pasted the mute button to see if I could just re-assign the parameters.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 01:02:24 PM »

Update: I created a button. I found that if I selected only CH1 Processing output INVERT it worked. Kind of. When I convert to custom panel, I lose a bunch of buttons & display. The button in the off position sounds weird, low output and distorted. BUT I was able to store the 80Hz preset to Preset 8, connect with AA and press the button to invert and store it at 80Hz (-POL). 

I called Harman and talked to a guy who is calling me back after he talks to an expert.

So some chicken bones ARE required to accomplish this seemingly basic function  :o

Are you saying it has low output and distortion when you invert just one of the drivers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 01:02:24 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.