ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer FBQ1000 setup  (Read 7492 times)

Eufracio Enriquez

Behringer FBQ1000 setup
« on: April 25, 2017, 12:41:37 AM »

How can I setup my behringer FBQ1000 using my small behringer mixer with 4 mic inputs and 4 line right & left laptop and the mixer is connected to my JBLxt powered speaker. I always having feedback problem with my microphone . I use the destroyer and I almost lost the sound of my DJ music. I am very embarrassed. I need some help whoever the knowledge about setting up Feddback Destroyer. Thank you

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Behringer FBQ1000 setup
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 02:02:42 AM »

How can I setup my behringer FBQ1000 using my small behringer mixer with 4 mic inputs and 4 line right & left laptop and the mixer is connected to my JBLxt powered speaker. I always having feedback problem with my microphone . I use the destroyer and I almost lost the sound of my DJ music. I am very embarrassed. I need some help whoever the knowledge about setting up Feddback Destroyer. Thank you

Advice 1 - Follow the instructions when you joined and use your real name.  This forum does not allow handles

Advice 2 - Feedback eliminators have no real place in pro-audio.  You have a setup and gain staging issue.  If you follow step 1 we can help you understand.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 04:14:38 PM »

If you try to use the FBQ 1000 between the outputs of your mixer and inputs of you active speakers with "stock" settings, you will not get good results.  The FBQ just doesn't know what to do with music.  IF your mixer has channel inserts (many of the Behringers have these on the mic input channels), use an insert cable (TRS 1/4" Y to 2-Tip Sleeve 1/4" plugs) on the microphone channel only using just one channel of the FBQ 1000.

If your mixer does not have inserts, don't play any music while setting up the FBQ 1000 between your mixer outs and speaker inputs.  In this case, be certain both channels of the FBQ are set the same.  In either situation, be certain the the filters have been reset and are empty before starting.  Set up the FBQ so that only 4 (maybe 6 maximum) filters are in the "single shot" mode.  Using you mic only, bring up the mic level and gently let you system feedback until the "single shot" filter have all been used.  Make certain all the other filters are off.  This is probably the maximum level you will be able to get the mic without feedback while still leaving the music in tact.  More filters being used usually just results in too much of everything musical being filtered out.

If and only if you are using a channel insert and the FBQ 1000 is only working on the microphone, you can add two "roaming" filters to look for changing mic feedback.  Remember that if the mic is live (on all the time) the FBQ can also "think" sustained tones in the music are feedback and it will work to get rid of the music!

I have found the FBQ1000 can work well in your situation, but the "stock" settings just do too much.  Changing the setting to limit the constant searching for feedback tames the FBQ and feedback.  If you find that some feedback frequencies always show up at your gigs, the FBQ can be used as a parametric EQ and you can "permanently" lock those frequencies down.

The FBQ 1000 is just a tool, and it can work pretty well.  I find that most of the "stock" settings are just too much.  It becomes a sledge hammer knocking huge holes in the sound when a tack hammer is all that is needed.

This may seem a little complicated, but the results are worth it.  Good luck!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 04:38:01 PM »

Don...

I agree with your procedure, but I go one step further after setting 4-5 single-shots.  I go to the individual set filters, widen them a titch and set them as locked/fixed, then leave two "rover" filters and turn the rest off.

I think of it as an "auto-sensing PEQ" rather than an FBX.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 08:02:24 PM »

Don...

I agree with your procedure, but I go one step further after setting 4-5 single-shots.  I go to the individual set filters, widen them a titch and set them as locked/fixed, then leave two "rover" filters and turn the rest off.

I think of it as an "auto-sensing PEQ" rather than an FBX.

Dick, that's a good way to look at it, and I agree with your procedure.  The extra width on the filters helps.  Typically, I see them "self set" with only one to three 1/60th of an octave.  Increasing this to five 1/60th is only 1/20 of an octave.  That's not a very audible "bite" out of the spectrum.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 08:02:24 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.