ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Need a little insight on setup on PA  (Read 6619 times)

phillip.burdick

Re: Need a little insight on setup on PA
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 02:05:52 PM »

So if I'm collecting all of this information correctly the general consensus is that; I sell all this equipment, find some decent powered speakers and subs and monitors, and it'll sound better that trying to use what I have?

I'm appreciating all of the comments and reply thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:11:20 PM by phillip.burdick »

phillip.burdick

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 02:31:38 PM »

That may be an option in the future...  but for now I gotta get what I can, out of what I have.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 02:54:34 PM »

So if I'm collecting all of this information correctly the general consensus is that; I sell all this equipment, find some decent powered speakers and subs and monitors, and it'll sound better that trying to use what I have?

Emphatically, YES!  :)

I'm just grabbing any random price I can from Google and removing 30-50% for firesale to get a bottom dollar idea of what you could get for all of it. Also, I also understand that it was a gift and sometimes gifts can't/shouldn't/don't like to be sold for $$.

Amps
$250 - Crown xls2500
$200 - Crown xls1500
$200 - Qcs 1450x2
$300 - Qcs 2450
$100 - Peavey 1500

Speakers:
$100 - 2 x jbl tr225
$200 - 2 x jbl mr925
$150 - 2 x jbl sf15
$200 - 2 x peavey 118hc
$100 - 2 x rockville 18 subs in b52 enclosures

Total:

For that you could get 2x SRX835p's and (IMO) would be fine for a time until you can afford subs.

If you wanted mains & subs at the same time. Then perhaps the DSR/DXR Yamaha lineups would be a better bet.

The issues with throwing speaker models/manufactures out there is that might not meet your needs exactly. What would be better would be for you to post pics & a diagram/drawing of the venue/space so that we can better matchup the coverage angles with a speaker type.

Additionally, more info on how loud you need/want it would be helpful. When I think nightclub I think (around here anyways) insanely loud and annoying. Same for DJ. But if you're serving food and a band is playing then not as loud might be okay? Then comedy is obviously much quieter as it's just his voice and/or some backing tracks.

Additionally, what is/isn't working as far as sound is concerned? Is it loud enough, clear enough, does it cover all the seats? New speakers won't necessarily fix those things. We need to look at the whole venue/system as well as the individual components.

Basically need moar info ;)

tl;dr variant:
The short and sweet is sell the junk, buy 2x SRX835p's and eventually 1 SRX828SP and be done (~$4000).
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 02:56:02 PM »

That may be an option in the future...  but for now I gotta get what I can, out of what I have.

I get that, just have your goals/priorities right first. Future oriented thinking is NECESSARY. Otherwise you spend more of your hard earned ca$h  (that could be spent on a vacation or whatever).

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Thomas Le

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 03:12:54 PM »

That's the jist basically. What you have is JBL's entry level / bottom of the barrel speaker lines spanning 2 generations. TR was in the 90's, MR was a small step up from TR but was in the same generation in the 90's, SF is the predecessor to the JRX in the early 2000's.

The reason why they're bottom of the barrel is because to meet that price point, JBL had to cut cost somewhere, in this case it's the horn. The JRX horn is not good sounding because of the 1 inch driver, the smaller the horn driver the harder the 15 inch woofer works trying to amplify what it's technically not optimized to output, in this case the mid frequencies such as guitar and vocals since the small horn can only operate at a certain range.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

phillip.burdick

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 03:35:37 PM »

What I overall am looking for is for my system to sound correct and somewhat loud. Deep booming bass would be great too. It's plenty loud enough for what we do. When we do have bands all that they usually use of mine is the PA for vocals and backing tracks. Sometimes we mic the kick drum too. Guitars are run on their own amps/heads and not plugged into the PA. The biggest issue I have is keeping the mic volumes up without feedback. If we do gwt some feedback we just turn the stage volume down till vocals are clear.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 03:53:18 PM »

What I overall am looking for is for my system to sound correct and somewhat loud.
Deep booming bass would be great too.

It's plenty loud enough for what we do.

When we do have bands all that they usually use of mine is the PA for vocals and backing tracks.
Sometimes we mic the kick drum too.

Guitars are run on their own amps/heads and not plugged into the PA.

The biggest issue I have is keeping the mic volumes up without feedback. If we do gwt some feedback we just turn the stage volume down till vocals are clear.

What equipment are you using right now that is sorta working?

You're not going to get good deep bass with any of the equipment you have.

So wants are:
1) decent sound quality
2) even coverage of (dance floor, audience, whole venue, what?)
3) better bass response
4) less feedback

How to get there (simply, though this is a complex topic):
1) new speakers
2) better positioning
3) new subs
4) combine 1 & 2

How to accomplish with what you have:
1a) start by checking EVERYTHING, do sine sweeps; check the components are working, polarity is same, etc.
1&2b) correctly position speakers and subs for the best minimization of compromises. compromises are feq response, phase response, coverage, spl, etc.
1c) use the drive PA to help EQ, xOver, & Align speakers.

2) position speakers to cover the area correctly. (play pink noise, and walk around in front of them. Tilt them in away from hard surfaces where you don't want sound and towards where you do). Make sure to secure anything hanging safely!!!!

3) use the Driverack to high pass the sub higher say 45Hz, and add a 1 or 2dB peak around 80Hz that will help it be punchier and get louder.

4) refer to 2.

Steve Garris

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 03:58:59 PM »

What I overall am looking for is for my system to sound correct and somewhat loud. Deep booming bass would be great too. It's plenty loud enough for what we do. When we do have bands all that they usually use of mine is the PA for vocals and backing tracks. Sometimes we mic the kick drum too. Guitars are run on their own amps/heads and not plugged into the PA. The biggest issue I have is keeping the mic volumes up without feedback. If we do gwt some feedback we just turn the stage volume down till vocals are clear.

It might be worth it to pay a professional sound guy to come to your venue and help set your system up properly, as Nathan recommends. Perhaps someone would come up from Spokane for a nominal fee?

Thomas Le

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 04:12:56 PM »

It might be worth it to pay a professional sound guy to come to your venue and help set your system up properly, as Nathan recommends. Perhaps someone would come up from Spokane for a nominal fee?

Ray looked like he was offering to help since he is in that area.

phillip.burdick

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 04:39:55 PM »

Thanks Nathan!! Those are my wants and yes I do now understand that with my equipment my goal won't be reached 100%.

As for positioning I'll try and make a diagram of my venue

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 04:39:55 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.