ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Yamaha upgrade their DXR & DSR ranges?  (Read 19532 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Will Yamaha upgrade their DXR & DSR ranges?
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2017, 06:10:16 PM »

Yes I have to say I'm pretty intrigued by the DSR series based on the sheer amount of positive reviews they get! Ideally I'd love a lighter version of the DSR115's! If the DSR112's had a little more depth of bass I would have gone for those a will back! If I had the budget I'd quite fancy adding another pair of QSC KW181's and get a pair of the DSR112's. That way I could have a single DSR112 over a pair of KW181's per side but this is more of a pipe dream!

If it matters to anybody I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of DSR 112's to run over 181's. 

Why I didn't is interesting.  In 90% of the cases it would have delivered what the KW153's do and been much easier on the logistics.  However we charge a premium for the 153's.  The size of the cabinets clearly communicates that premium. 

Other than our ridiculous KF850 clone system we use on lawn gigs (bought out of an inventory liquidation from the famous Loud and Clear sound company in Cinci) we run our whole business on KW's two sizes big and small.

Couple of times a year we rent DB Tech T4's and we still use the 181's with them !
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

James Paul

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2017, 09:02:30 PM »

Again in response to the OP, I would suggest that the relatively recent addition of the DXS18 could be considered an upgrade to the D-Series.
I find this model to be more `musical ' in comparison to the KW181, with the KW seemingly having become a standard of reference for single 18" powered subs for some time now. Of course, YMMV.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 02:47:02 AM »

If it matters to anybody I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of DSR 112's to run over 181's. 

Why I didn't is interesting.  In 90% of the cases it would have delivered what the KW153's do and been much easier on the logistics. 

That is interesting to read. Looks like the DSR112's over a pair of KW181's may be a good route to upgrade my system whilst keeping the weight down. I also like the idea of the system being modular where I could leave 1 pair of KW181's at home for smaller gigs!

One annoying niggle I have with the DSR112's is they put the handle on top of the cabinet!!? Maybe if these get updated one day they could put the handle on the side.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 02:57:33 AM »

Again in response to the OP, I would suggest that the relatively recent addition of the DXS18 could be considered an upgrade to the D-Series.
I find this model to be more `musical ' in comparison to the KW181, with the KW seemingly having become a standard of reference for single 18" powered subs for some time now. Of course, YMMV.

I've heard good things about this sub and from what I've been told, it goes louder than the DSS118W. Regarding the comparison to the KW181 I've heard mixed opinions on this. Also, the DXS18 is much heavier than the KW181's and not manageable for me by myself!
The QSC KW181's offer great balance between size, weight and price. Would be interesting to see if QSC release a mkII version though! I'd love a mkII version that sounds even better with deeper bass extension, higher output and even lower weight but this is maybe a little unrealistic with the price bracket.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 10:12:50 AM »

I've heard good things about this sub and from what I've been told, it goes louder than the DSS118W. Regarding the comparison to the KW181 I've heard mixed opinions on this. Also, the DXS18 is much heavier than the KW181's and not manageable for me by myself!
The QSC KW181's offer great balance between size, weight and price. Would be interesting to see if QSC release a mkII version though! I'd love a mkII version that sounds even better with deeper bass extension, higher output and even lower weight but this is maybe a little unrealistic with the price bracket.
It is the weight of the DXS18 that has kept me from simply selling my PRX XLF's and getting a matched pair which might even increase the total output of the system.

At the end of the day, very few of my indoor venues demand the full output of my XLF's.  Any outdoor gig I would be either getting more speakers (more XLF's) or having the system supplied (small line array) depending on the venue.  Carrying around that extra weight would outweigh any occasional benefit in my case.

JBL did a fantastic job of getting the weight down.  The original PRX612m's were feather light at only 36lbs.  The XLF's are only 81lbs and can be lifted by a single large man in good shape, or are an easy lift for 2 people (even my wife can help me with these).

The DSR112's are not horridly heavy at 47lbs, but you feel that extra 11 lbs when carrying them (especially 2 at a time).

I hear the newest ART RCF 745 speakers are both light (42 lbs) and great sounding, albeit a bit higher in price than the 12's we have been mostly discussing ($1500).  The 735 is only a couple of pounds heavier, but runs only $1K.  Haven't heard anyone say anything about these yet though.

Guy Graham

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2017, 10:15:27 AM »

How about someone figures out how to make a speaker with no switches I have to check every time that isn't named Meyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been a real problem for me too! It seems every new MI powered speaker product adds extra unnecessary sockets, switches, knobs, buttons and screens - cluttering up even further the rear of these boxes, providing more opportunities for wondering hands and accidental knocks to make inappropriate adjustments or break something.

If just one company could design a product with simple input and thru sockets, plus a port to provide control via a phone app or tablet etc - I think they'd find a market, as long as they don't charge Meyer prices of course.

That issue aside, I don't see any need for new or additional models of powered speakers. If I was in the business of investing in this kind of equipment, I'd want products that are proven in terms of their build quality and performance.

For some reason the MI sector seems to attract interest in new products that no one has seen or heard yet. Then there are attempts to parse minute performance differences, as justification for what represent effectively sideways moves.

John Chiara

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2017, 10:56:53 AM »

In response to the initial question, I might expect an upgrade to the DSR line as it was introduced in 2012, prior to the DXR series, nearing the end of the 7 year warranty period of the first to market.
Best obvious guesses for a MKII upgrade would be, drivers (cast frame, 3" compression), increased wattage, cooling fan, ply construction, networkable (Audionate).

I do find it rather fascinating the amount of discussion and a general consensus about the DSR112 solely, and not of the other family 115 & 215, from my count of over thirty owner/users on this board alone, myself included.

An a/b comparison of the venerable UPA1P and DSR112 is intriguing.

Meanwhile, I still pine for a pair of Mackie HD1531`s at the right buy-in price for the man cave.

I have some 1531's that I put in my control l room as alternate monitors for tracking bands live. Sound great but too heavy to carry around.

Derek D Sanchez

• DDSProductions.
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2017, 01:08:21 PM »

The DXS 18 ain't that bad to move as I came from the 618xlf, if you have to lift it then yes, but from a trailer it actually seems easier, and it won't move at all like the 618xlf when bumped, I think it's the way it's balanced. Output one sub beats the two 618xlf I used to have and it sounds great if not better, Yamaha/nexo engineering is there for sure. For tops I use the prx615m which I love and have done everything I have asked from them. Before I was lacking bass in the middle and back of room, with the yamahas design it's there. For moving them I put the prx615 on top of the sub in monitor position with handle facing the dolly and tilt back and its easy to move on the dolly. Once I get the caster kit I'll just lay the 615s on the the top and strap them to just roll out a sub and a top and since the Yamaha have no grill they won't get damaged. Last night had a event upstairs in hotel and it took me four trips in elevator total by myself to get the whole system up there with two truss, led wash lights and 4 moving heads. It was two trips for the the sub/top audio and two road cases with everything else with truss on top. Thanks Derek

Scott Bolt

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2017, 02:30:01 PM »

The DXS 18 ain't that bad to move as I came from the 618xlf, if you have to lift it then yes, but from a trailer it actually seems easier, and it won't move at all like the 618xlf when bumped, I think it's the way it's balanced. Output one sub beats the two 618xlf I used to have and it sounds great if not better, Yamaha/nexo engineering is there for sure. For tops I use the prx615m which I love and have done everything I have asked from them. Before I was lacking bass in the middle and back of room, with the yamahas design it's there. For moving them I put the prx615 on top of the sub in monitor position with handle facing the dolly and tilt back and its easy to move on the dolly. Once I get the caster kit I'll just lay the 615s on the the top and strap them to just roll out a sub and a top and since the Yamaha have no grill they won't get damaged. Last night had a event upstairs in hotel and it took me four trips in elevator total by myself to get the whole system up there with two truss, led wash lights and 4 moving heads. It was two trips for the the sub/top audio and two road cases with everything else with truss on top. Thanks Derek
Wow.  2 to 1 is impressive (PRX XLF to DXR18).

Still, 30 lbs is a substantial difference.  My drummer has a set of Cerwin Vega CVA118's that weigh 121 lbs.  It is a HUGE difference in the carry from the XLFs.

If the DXR18 is truely a 2 to 1 with the XLF, then I suspect it would hang perfect with a single DSR112 which seems very at home over a pair of XLF's at max output.

The XLF's always just sound "clean" to me.  The CVA118's do shake the room more, but seem to put more mud into the mix.

Steve Garris

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2017, 04:54:13 PM »

Wow.  2 to 1 is impressive (PRX XLF to DXR18).

Still, 30 lbs is a substantial difference.  My drummer has a set of Cerwin Vega CVA118's that weigh 121 lbs.  It is a HUGE difference in the carry from the XLFs.

If the DXR18 is truely a 2 to 1 with the XLF, then I suspect it would hang perfect with a single DSR112 which seems very at home over a pair of XLF's at max output.

The XLF's always just sound "clean" to me.  The CVA118's do shake the room more, but seem to put more mud into the mix.

I've used both sub's recently, and while the DXS has great low extension and gets very loud, it did not come close to matching the output of (2) stacked PXR618's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2017, 04:54:13 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.