ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Itech 4000 with excessive fan noise  (Read 1936 times)

Dave Guilford

Itech 4000 with excessive fan noise
« on: April 21, 2017, 05:14:06 PM »

I have 2 it4000 amps.  One has 12,000 hours and one has 5,000 hours.  The one with 12k has a fan that kicks on way more often than the other.  Also it seems to run louder , possible at full speed.  I've gone into the menu and checked thermal; it's far from full - usually in the 10-40% area. 

What's up??

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Itech 4000 with excessive fan noise
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 05:21:44 PM »

I have 2 it4000 amps.  One has 12,000 hours and one has 5,000 hours.  The one with 12k has a fan that kicks on way more often than the other.  Also it seems to run louder , possible at full speed.  I've gone into the menu and checked thermal; it's far from full - usually in the 10-40% area. 

What's up??

Have you cleaned them?

One might have more gunk on the heat sinks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 05:45:38 PM »

What's up??

Call Crown and ask for Kevin Gring, but IIRC this is a failing thermal sensor or wiring harness issue.  If you can live with the fan noise you can continue to use the amplifier.

Most of our original iTechs and HDs run about 25-30% of thermal capacity... in the worst case I've observed.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:41:17 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 09:26:20 PM »

Most of our original iTechs and HDs run about 25-30% of thermal capacity...
Interesting.... I have quite extensive iTechHD experience, and if the thermal % gets above 5.... something is typically wrong.  Like the AC stopped working or the tarp wasn't lifted off the rack after the rainstorm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 10:40:54 PM »

Interesting.... I have quite extensive iTechHD experience, and if the thermal % gets above 5.... something is typically wrong.  Like the AC stopped working or the tarp wasn't lifted off the rack after the rainstorm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I should have specified that was worst case I've observed.  Typical non-EDM music program is under 20%.  I will correct my post.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 10:40:54 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.