ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why no digital IEM's?  (Read 16896 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: Why no digital IEM's?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2017, 01:56:06 PM »

ULX-D (and any Dante device) adds 2.9ms to the rest of the latencies in your system.
"and any Dante device"? Where are you getting that number from?
Dante latencies can be as low as 250uS (though typically 500uS).
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2017, 02:07:41 PM »

"and any Dante device"? Where are you getting that number from?
Dante latencies can be as low as 250uS (though typically 500uS).
Hi Andrew,

You are correct. I misunderstood a spec that I had read for another piece of gear as representative of the Dante system, rather than the device. My apologies to the forum.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2017, 06:05:26 PM »

hey

Just to clarify for some people, as I'm not sure it's clear from the thread and a couple of people seem to have overlapped the terms, using the term "digital IEMs" can be a little confusing as it can mean several things.

On the one hand it can be a digital input into the system (AES or Dante for example) but this could still be transmitted by a traditional analogue radio wave, such as most IEM systems currently use, to the beltpack and headphones.

Or it could be an actual digital transmission, i.e. a transmission of a 1s and 0s digital data stream through the air rather than traditional analogue radio wave.  (Which could be further divided between systems transmitting this digital data over traditional MHz tuning frequencies which would be a bit more robust against interference, or more pro-sumer orientated units transmitting over Wifi GHz frequencies).

The first one would hopefully save a little latency by minimising AD/DA conversions (as we can see from the new lectrosonics one mentioned it shaves 0.4ms off the time).

However the latency for the second one could be a bit more up in the air, and would depend on whatever affected the latency the least: the AD conversion needed to send an analogue IEM radio wave vs any AD conversion and decoding of the digital stream.

k

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2017, 06:05:26 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 25 queries.