ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: HIGH SPL and portable  (Read 4398 times)

Tom Danley

Re: HIGH SPL and portable
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 01:13:19 PM »

For those people who are simply concerned with what "produces the most SPL" and is portable and not expensive-I submit the following:

But sometimes we do require a "little" bit wider bandwidth.

But hey-this could be fun and get peoples attention---

In the late 60’s I had a Honda CB160 which I rode mostly year around (not having a car yet).
I don’t remember where they were from but I ended up putting a pair of used Sears aftermarket car air horns and the compressor on the bike after being run off the road by several cars (in one case a lady putting on makeup). 
They didn’t work that well at idle, more like a burst but if you revved the engine just a bit, you could make people jump. 
Not quite semi truck horns but way more than a car horn.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 02:01:54 PM »

In the late 60’s I had a Honda CB160 which I rode mostly year around (not having a car yet).
I don’t remember where they were from but I ended up putting a pair of used Sears aftermarket car air horns and the compressor on the bike after being run off the road by several cars (in one case a lady putting on makeup). 
They didn’t work that well at idle, more like a burst but if you revved the engine just a bit, you could make people jump. 
In the 80's, I had a late 60's vw that had been hotrodded. The exhaust just had a glass pack and by quickly dropping off the gas I not only could shake buildings but I could light the grass on the side of the road on fire.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 02:46:35 PM »

All about the horns...right Tom?  ;D ;D
I don't care enough to be apathetic

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 02:55:05 PM »

Back in the 60s I put some straight thru flow glass packs that my brother took off his car because they were blown out. I am reluctant to concede that they were too loud for even me (but they were). Above 2,500 RPM the exhaust system became resonant and got several times louder. I could literally hear my exhaust echoing off houses as I drove past (not sure how that worked). The car sounded like a gang of Harley choppers (only a slight exaggeration). 

I only had them on my car for about a week before I pulled them, but during that week I was stopped by the local Barney (for doing nothing... a regular pattern with me), but this time after he let me go (for doing nothing) he followed me to my house, so i stopped again at the bottom of my driveway to ask what now..?

He said he liked fast cars too and asked me to rev it up so he could hear it.   ::) I was born in the morning, but not that morning, so I rev'd it up to about 2499 RPM, just below the hairy edge of resonance where it gets several times louder. He smiled and thanked me. I drove it straight into my garage and changed the mufflers out that afternoon. My relationship with the local police department would not support window shaking exhaust pipes.

JR   
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 06:01:50 PM »

I've had a couple of BMW motorcycles of the type now referred to as "airheads" which came with either Fiam or Stiebel horns.  Fairly quiet bikes but the horns could be HEARD.  I was in a mountain pass on the east side of the Sierras one summer day and went to gently pass some meandering tourists in a Jeep.  Just as I got along side them, they distractedly wandered left into me.  I hit the horn and they jerked back so hard I thought they were going to bang into the cliff and possibly bounce off into the canyon.  Goosed it to get away from them so I'm not sure how the rest of their drive went but I suspect they paid more attention.   ;D

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 10:54:42 PM »

For those people who are simply concerned with what "produces the most SPL" and is portable and not expensive-I submit the following:

But sometimes we do require a "little" bit wider bandwidth.

But hey-this could be fun and get peoples attention---

My Brother-in-law is a Firefighter.  I've known him for almost 30 years [only met his sister 10 years ago.  long story].

Back in the mid-90's he owned a little Mitsubishi pickup.  He got the clever idea to mount a set of Fire Truck horns that were left over at the Firehouse under the hood with an attendant air compressor.  The things were so long they just barely fit mounted diagonal across the engine bay.

I rode with him several times when he fired those things up.  The funny thing was seeing people try to figure out where it was coming from since we were in this tiny little unassuming grey pickup.  Between that and the confusion of hearing the horns but no siren....

Hilarious at the time.

Of course now if somebody did that to me i'd be all pissed off and tell them to get off my road/lawn/town/whatever.  But we were young and easily amused...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 10:54:42 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.