ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alesis HD24 Control from QLab  (Read 4609 times)

James Garrett

Alesis HD24 Control from QLab
« on: April 19, 2017, 10:33:49 AM »

Hello,

I have just recently gotten into MIDI show control automation. I am hoping to use QLab to control my Alesis HD24. No luck yet. I have read online that the HD24 uses MMC messages to control the transports. Do I need a sequencer to sync the computer to the HD24's MTC? Any help appreciated.

Thank you,

James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Alesis HD24 Control from QLab
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 10:46:22 AM »

Hello,

I have just recently gotten into MIDI show control automation. I am hoping to use QLab to control my Alesis HD24. No luck yet. I have read online that the HD24 uses MMC messages to control the transports. Do I need a sequencer to sync the computer to the HD24's MTC? Any help appreciated.

I don't know the answer to your question myself, but there is a pretty active QLab group on Google groups. There is active participation from the tech support crew from Figure 53 as well as a lot of smart experienced users.

Mac

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 11:03:25 AM »

I have no experience with the HD24, but a quick read of the online documentation seems to indicate that this unit can SEND MMC instructions, but is not controllable.

Sent fra min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 12:04:45 PM »

I have no experience with the HD24, but a quick read of the online documentation seems to indicate that this unit can SEND MMC instructions, but is not controllable.

I'm pretty sure that I have controlled an HD24 with MTC messages from a PM1D. It was a while ago, so I may have the machine confused, but I think it was an HD24. With the PM1D I had to write the cues in hex in the midi window of the PM1D scene. I would think you could do the same from QLab. Hopefully the QL experts will chime in here of in their group.

Mac

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 12:27:12 PM »

I'm pretty sure that I have controlled an HD24 with MTC messages from a PM1D. It was a while ago, so I may have the machine confused, but I think it was an HD24. With the PM1D I had to write the cues in hex in the midi window of the PM1D scene. I would think you could do the same from QLab. Hopefully the QL experts will chime in here of in their group.

Mac

From the HD24 Manual...

"You can control the HD24 from a MIDI sequencer using MIDI Machine Control, which sends it commands (REW, PLAY, STOP etc.), but once the command is received, the sequencer slaves to the MTC generated by the HD24."

So you can't sync the HD24 directly via MIDI [it only sends MMC, doesn't receive it], but you can tell it to go and stop.  Also it's unclear if you can tell it which 'song' [if i remember my HD24 terminlogy correctly] to play, which i presume would be something that the OP might want to do.

***Begin Topic Swerve***

I saw on eBay yesterday that TC Furlong was selling a PM1d for 2500 bucks OBO.  That just made me sad....

***End Swerve***
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 01:32:24 PM »

From the HD24 Manual...

"You can control the HD24 from a MIDI sequencer using MIDI Machine Control, which sends it commands (REW, PLAY, STOP etc.), but once the command is received, the sequencer slaves to the MTC generated by the HD24."

So you can't sync the HD24 directly via MIDI [it only sends MMC, doesn't receive it], but you can tell it to go and stop.  Also it's unclear if you can tell it which 'song' [if i remember my HD24 terminlogy correctly] to play, which i presume would be something that the OP might want to do.

***Begin Topic Swerve***

I saw on eBay yesterday that TC Furlong was selling a PM1d for 2500 bucks OBO.  That just made me sad....

***End Swerve***

I don't think the OP meant he wanted to "sync" the 2 machines, only control the HD24. IIRC I sent it midi messages to Go To a certain TC, Play, and Stop. Because of my background with analog tape I sent the machine to the right TC 1 cue ahead of the actual Go cue. Everything was in hex because that's how the PM-1D worked.

A 1D would still be a good console, but I haven't seen one in other than sad condition in a while.

Mac

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 02:13:59 PM »

I don't think the OP meant he wanted to "sync" the 2 machines, only control the HD24. IIRC I sent it midi messages to Go To a certain TC, Play, and Stop. Because of my background with analog tape I sent the machine to the right TC 1 cue ahead of the actual Go cue. Everything was in hex because that's how the PM-1D worked.

A 1D would still be a good console, but I haven't seen one in other than sad condition in a while.

Mac

Yeah, i mentioned the sync thing just for clarity.  Cool that you could send it to a specific TC.  That should enable the OP to do what they want to do...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

James Garrett

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 09:41:23 PM »

Hey guys. Thanks for all the replies. I discovered how to do this later on that day with some help from Wikipedia. Turns out the HD24 receives SysEx MIDI messages. So I just looked up the proper hexidecimal coding for general playback machines and was able to send them from QLab.

Thanks again!

-James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 09:41:23 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.