ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lake LM26 custom FIR  (Read 7647 times)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Lake LM26 custom FIR
« on: April 19, 2017, 08:39:35 AM »

Can you import a custom FIR into a LM26?

Seem to remember that I did it a few years back but now I had a look around Lake controller and couldn't figure out if it was possible.

Was it this box that needed a different software to load FIR filters?

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Lake LM26 custom FIR
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 09:55:10 PM »

Can you import a custom FIR into a LM26?

Seem to remember that I did it a few years back but now I had a look around Lake controller and couldn't figure out if it was possible.

Was it this box that needed a different software to load FIR filters?

Hi Helge,
I was hoping someone else would have chimed in by now with first hand information, but as no one has I will relay some second hand info. 

I talked to Rich Fremes (Fulcrum Acoustics) a few months back about this and this was his response was something to the effect of....No and from what we are hearing they never will...

I also talked to Michael Smithers (Eclipse Audio) and he mentioned that he is working on coding up something for his program (FIR Designer), but it will only work with the Lake FIR 3-way module, which only is currently supported by the PLM amplifiers, not the LMs. He did mention that even getting coefficients into the Lake FIR 3-way modules is going to be a pretty big undertaking, as its not anywhere near as simply as direct coefficient entry.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Peter Morris

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 04:20:08 AM »

Hi Helge,
I was hoping someone else would have chimed in by now with first hand information, but as no one has I will relay some second hand info. 

I talked to Rich Fremes (Fulcrum Acoustics) a few months back about this and this was his response was something to the effect of....No and from what we are hearing they never will...

I also talked to Michael Smithers (Eclipse Audio) and he mentioned that he is working on coding up something for his program (FIR Designer), but it will only work with the Lake FIR 3-way module, which only is currently supported by the PLM amplifiers, not the LMs. He did mention that even getting coefficients into the Lake FIR 3-way modules is going to be a pretty big undertaking, as its not anywhere near as simply as direct coefficient entry.

The LM26 does 3 way FIR  :) ...  my understanding of the situation regarding down loading coefficients is exactly the same as yours.  I suspect that now its a Behringer / Music Group product there will be even less chance ... 

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 05:58:53 AM »

Thanks for the replies.

I've got confirmation from a couple of sources that this is not possible right now, but "maybe someday" :)

Raimonds.Skuruls

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 08:05:09 AM »

Thanks for the replies.

I've got confirmation from a couple of sources that this is not possible right now, but "maybe someday" :)
Hi Helge,
May be it is time to add some dedicated FIR unit to your setup to take full advantages from FIR power?
BR,
Raimonds

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 05:11:34 AM »

Hi Helge,
May be it is time to add some dedicated FIR unit to your setup to take full advantages from FIR power?
BR,
Raimonds

I have various Powersoft amps that can do FIR, but this time I wanted to test something on a pair of active speakers.

Looks like it will be either a Apex IntelliX or just a DI box on the amp output with 40dB pad for this test.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 12:05:30 PM »

I have various Powersoft amps that can do FIR, but this time I wanted to test something on a pair of active speakers.

Looks like it will be either a Apex IntelliX or just a DI box on the amp output with 40dB pad for this test.

If it's just for experimenting / learning, the miniDSP units offer a hell of alot more FIR than anything I've been able to find.......Apex, Xilica, and what little FIR capability is imbedded in amplifiers.  The APL1s, and the Four Audio HD2 with it's unusual down-sampling technique, might be the comparative exceptions.

If your active speaker testing is  multichannel, I'd recommend the OpenDRC DA-8 https://www.minidsp.com/products/opendrc-series/opendrc-da8

If you're applying global correction to the speaker that corrects in-place active or passive x-over/processing,
I'd go with a 2 channel OpenDRC, .... choosing whatever I/O option works for you.
Here's digital I/O for an example..https://www.minidsp.com/products/opendrc-series/opendrc-di
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 01:57:03 PM by Mark Wilkinson »

Raimonds.Skuruls

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 03:45:02 AM »

Hi Helge,
Such setup is too much complex to have a reliable result : )
Any convolution plugin can serve this function. I can help you with one.
But most important thing is not a fir filter as processing unit but how to create its coefficients.
This is very tricky because the power and possibilities of fir are so high that it may "destroy" your system.
The predistortions of fir EQ (any EQ as well) must be respective to distortions of your system. They will compensate each other in such case.
Otherwise, you will have new additional distortions created by improper EQ.
How do you create fir for your test?

BR,
Raimonds

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 04:08:37 AM »

The plan is to capture a trace from the DUT with Smaart and process it with FIR Designer.

DUT in this case is a stereo playback system with a sub and one listener.

Peter Morris

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 07:56:48 AM »

The plan is to capture a trace from the DUT with Smaart and process it with FIR Designer.

DUT in this case is a stereo playback system with a sub and one listener.

FWIW - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LLYkGj7Zbk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 07:56:48 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.