ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Precision? -Career  (Read 2323 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Panhandle, FL
Audio Precision? -Career
« on: April 17, 2017, 02:56:39 pm »

Audio Precision https://www.ap.com

Anyone know of this company. Thoughts?

Contract ending looking for a new job. (no biggie) Currently I am a Software Test Developer, but I aspire to be more of a hardware engineer or maybe go full time in my audio business.

Not sure which path to take. Just looking for thoughts. It would be a cross-country move. I'd be close to Ray though, so that'd be cool :)

https://www.ap.com/careers/
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Audio Precision? -Career
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 03:39:10 pm »

AP is an extremely well respected test equipment company. Some of their bench test equipment is SOTA design. The test equipment needs to be better than what it's measuring so that is an increasingly difficult target.

I don't know if the industry here is growing much these days, with most US audio manufacturing moved offshore, but you should learn a bunch working with their design engineers, especially if any of the old gray-hairs are still around.

JR 
On the internet people tell you everything "they" know, not the answer to "your" question.

Nathan Riddle

• Panhandle, FL
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 04:12:42 pm »

AP is an extremely well respected test equipment company. Some of their bench test equipment is SOTA design. The test equipment needs to be better than what it's measuring so that is an increasingly difficult target.

I don't know if the industry here is growing much these days, with most US audio manufacturing moved offshore, but you should learn a bunch working with their design engineers, especially if any of the old gray-hairs are still around.

JR 

Thank you!

So, in your opinion & given your background, it would be a great opportunity for me to learn and still stay close to the audio world?

I would just be on the manufacturing side a bit; which long-term thinking, might be a good place to be. I can't do audio business into my 50/60's even though I would like to think I could. Given the pace of technology, and other economic factors. It would probably be wiser for me to be on the testing/manufacturing side correct?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 04:17:57 pm »

Thank you!

So, in your opinion & given your background, it would be a great opportunity for me to learn and still stay close to the audio world?

I would just be on the manufacturing side a bit; which long-term thinking, might be a good place to be. I can't do audio business into my 50/60's even though I would like to think I could. Given the pace of technology, and other economic factors. It would probably be wiser for me to be on the testing/manufacturing side correct?

I predict you will be the last generation of domestic test equipment engineers.  Or not, if you don't do it.

I'm pushing 60, Nathan.  I don't enjoy toting barges or lifting bales but I still really like live audio and some toting/lifting comes with the turf.  I've gotten much better at directing crew, though :)

If you want a gig that lets you have a near-normal life with holidays, vacations and weekends off - and especially if you have kids - you should interview for the job.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 04:55:07 pm »

Thank you!

I don't know what the business looks like these days, or will anytime soon.

My crystal ball says the days of big box bench test equipment is over.  It will likely end up being a glorified dongle with some low noise circuitry inside, precision conversion and internet of things I/O.

Good luck....

JR
On the internet people tell you everything "they" know, not the answer to "your" question.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 06:01:03 pm »

In my consumer electronics manufacturing world it seems like AP's are on the way out.  More common is Soundcheck software with various National Instruments or other interfaces.  For lower end offshore made stuff the Chinese company OBO is the most common audio test provider.

Back in my Dolby days we had AP's all over the place.  But I hardly see them in offshore factories.  I suspect that they are trying to hang on and keep a toe hold in the industry.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 01:13:06 pm »

Audio Precision https://www.ap.com

Anyone know of this company. Thoughts?

Contract ending looking for a new job. (no biggie) Currently I am a Software Test Developer, but I aspire to be more of a hardware engineer or maybe go full time in my audio business.

Not sure which path to take. Just looking for thoughts. It would be a cross-country move. I'd be close to Ray though, so that'd be cool :)

https://www.ap.com/careers/

I can't speak to the job or industry. But this job is in Beaverton, Oregon, and I can address that.

The Coastal Northwest (the portion of the Pacific Northwest west of the Cascade range and extending from about Medford, Oregon up to Vancouver, BC) is a great place to live, especially if you enjoy the outdoors. The Portland Metro area (including Beaverton) is in the middle of it all, and is home to several outdoor and athletics manufacturers.

The Beaverton/Hillsboro area is the high-tech center of the Northwest, sometimes called the "Silicon Forest."

Portland is becoming internationally known for both its craft beer and food cart scene. There are over 500 food carts in several "pods" around town.

The Willamette Valley, south of the urban area, is agricultural with a lot of vineyards and nurseries. The Willamette Valley's chief crop is grass seed. (By the way, it's pronounced wil-LAM-et, not WILL-a-met. If you don't get that right, you will be instantly pegged as an outsider.)

Just across the river (where Ray is) is Vancouver (the original Vancouver, not that northern imposter), Washington, which is trying really hard to carve its own identity separate from Portland.

An hour's drive or so gets you to the mountains (and skiiing in the winter) or the ocean.

Public hiking trails are numerous, both within and outside of the urban boundary. The Columbia River Gorge is a scenic jewel with hundreds of miles of trails.

There seems to be general public support for (or indifference to) alternative lifestyles.

The area isn't without problems. The area is growing; housing is in high demand and prices are high. There aren't enough roads for the traffic (but I won't get into the "why" because that involves politics). There is a large and vocal -- you could almost say proud -- homeless community in the urban areas of the Coastal Northwest.

Summers are usually really nice. Not too hot; reasonably dry and moderate. Winters can be a drag with long periods of gray, rainy days. This winter has been exceptionally dreary; since last October there hasn't been a two-day stretch without rain, and today may be the first day this year we see 70 degrees.

I grew up here, I like it here. I live a little ways north of Vancouver, about 35 minutes from downtown Portland (when the traffic is light).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:16:29 pm by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 05:40:44 pm »

I can't speak to the job or industry. But this job is in Beaverton, Oregon, and I can address that.

The Coastal Northwest (the portion of the Pacific Northwest west of the Cascade range and extending from about Medford, Oregon up to Vancouver, BC) is a great place to live, especially if you enjoy the outdoors. The Portland Metro area (including Beaverton) is in the middle of it all, and is home to several outdoor and athletics manufacturers.

The Beaverton/Hillsboro area is the high-tech center of the Northwest, sometimes called the "Silicon Forest."

Portland is becoming internationally known for both its craft beer and food cart scene. There are over 500 food carts in several "pods" around town.

The Willamette Valley, south of the urban area, is agricultural with a lot of vineyards and nurseries. The Willamette Valley's chief crop is grass seed. (By the way, it's pronounced wil-LAM-et, not WILL-a-met. If you don't get that right, you will be instantly pegged as an outsider.)

Just across the river (where Ray is) is Vancouver (the original Vancouver, not that northern imposter), Washington, which is trying really hard to carve its own identity separate from Portland.

An hour's drive or so gets you to the mountains (and skiiing in the winter) or the ocean.

Public hiking trails are numerous, both within and outside of the urban boundary. The Columbia River Gorge is a scenic jewel with hundreds of miles of trails.

There seems to be general public support for (or indifference to) alternative lifestyles.

The area isn't without problems. The area is growing; housing is in high demand and prices are high. There aren't enough roads for the traffic (but I won't get into the "why" because that involves politics). There is a large and vocal -- you could almost say proud -- homeless community in the urban areas of the Coastal Northwest.

Summers are usually really nice. Not too hot; reasonably dry and moderate. Winters can be a drag with long periods of gray, rainy days. This winter has been exceptionally dreary; since last October there hasn't been a two-day stretch without rain, and today may be the first day this year we see 70 degrees.

I grew up here, I like it here. I live a little ways north of Vancouver, about 35 minutes from downtown Portland (when the traffic is light).

Portland Oregon is also the home of Powell's Technical Bookstore, right on the square.  If they had naked women and donuts in there it would truly be heaven on earth.

Edit: I see they added a coffee shop into the main store so the donuts may be covered.  Before the Internet they had an amazing selection of engineering texts.

Here is a great article from Conde Nast

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2015-07-13/why-powells-bookstore-portland-oregon-will-outlive-the-kindle

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman
River Delta Audio is now:

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 06:02:07 pm »

Portland Oregon is also the home of Powell's Technical Bookstore, right on the square.  If they had naked women and donuts in there it would truly be heaven on earth.

I don't know about the naked women (though there IS the annual naked bike ride), but 8 or 9 blocks down Burnside St. is Voodoo Doghnut, famous (or infamous) in its own right and very Portland-y. (I don't believe the donuts are naked, though you probably could get a naked donut by special request.)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 06:04:14 pm by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 08:41:22 pm »

I don't know about the naked women (though there IS the annual naked bike ride), but 8 or 9 blocks down Burnside St. is Voodoo Doghnut, famous (or infamous) in its own right and very Portland-y. (I don't believe the donuts are naked, though you probably could get a naked donut by special request.)

Voodoo recordings and donuts, what a country.  I can't believe they don't have swag in fact guy sizes.  What donut shop would only have skinny people t-shirts.  Don't they know donuts are like crack to fat people?  Krispy Kreme dozens, convenient single serving package.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman
River Delta Audio is now:

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.