ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Precision? -Career  (Read 9137 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Audio Precision? -Career
« on: April 17, 2017, 02:56:39 PM »

Audio Precision https://www.ap.com

Anyone know of this company. Thoughts?

Contract ending looking for a new job. (no biggie) Currently I am a Software Test Developer, but I aspire to be more of a hardware engineer or maybe go full time in my audio business.

Not sure which path to take. Just looking for thoughts. It would be a cross-country move. I'd be close to Ray though, so that'd be cool :)

https://www.ap.com/careers/
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Audio Precision? -Career
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 03:39:10 PM »

AP is an extremely well respected test equipment company. Some of their bench test equipment is SOTA design. The test equipment needs to be better than what it's measuring so that is an increasingly difficult target.

I don't know if the industry here is growing much these days, with most US audio manufacturing moved offshore, but you should learn a bunch working with their design engineers, especially if any of the old gray-hairs are still around.

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 04:12:42 PM »

AP is an extremely well respected test equipment company. Some of their bench test equipment is SOTA design. The test equipment needs to be better than what it's measuring so that is an increasingly difficult target.

I don't know if the industry here is growing much these days, with most US audio manufacturing moved offshore, but you should learn a bunch working with their design engineers, especially if any of the old gray-hairs are still around.

JR 

Thank you!

So, in your opinion & given your background, it would be a great opportunity for me to learn and still stay close to the audio world?

I would just be on the manufacturing side a bit; which long-term thinking, might be a good place to be. I can't do audio business into my 50/60's even though I would like to think I could. Given the pace of technology, and other economic factors. It would probably be wiser for me to be on the testing/manufacturing side correct?

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 04:17:57 PM »

Thank you!

So, in your opinion & given your background, it would be a great opportunity for me to learn and still stay close to the audio world?

I would just be on the manufacturing side a bit; which long-term thinking, might be a good place to be. I can't do audio business into my 50/60's even though I would like to think I could. Given the pace of technology, and other economic factors. It would probably be wiser for me to be on the testing/manufacturing side correct?

I predict you will be the last generation of domestic test equipment engineers.  Or not, if you don't do it.

I'm pushing 60, Nathan.  I don't enjoy toting barges or lifting bales but I still really like live audio and some toting/lifting comes with the turf.  I've gotten much better at directing crew, though :)

If you want a gig that lets you have a near-normal life with holidays, vacations and weekends off - and especially if you have kids - you should interview for the job.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 04:55:07 PM »

Thank you!

I don't know what the business looks like these days, or will anytime soon.

My crystal ball says the days of big box bench test equipment is over.  It will likely end up being a glorified dongle with some low noise circuitry inside, precision conversion and internet of things I/O.

Good luck....

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 06:01:03 PM »

In my consumer electronics manufacturing world it seems like AP's are on the way out.  More common is Soundcheck software with various National Instruments or other interfaces.  For lower end offshore made stuff the Chinese company OBO is the most common audio test provider.

Back in my Dolby days we had AP's all over the place.  But I hardly see them in offshore factories.  I suspect that they are trying to hang on and keep a toe hold in the industry.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 01:13:06 PM »

Audio Precision https://www.ap.com

Anyone know of this company. Thoughts?

Contract ending looking for a new job. (no biggie) Currently I am a Software Test Developer, but I aspire to be more of a hardware engineer or maybe go full time in my audio business.

Not sure which path to take. Just looking for thoughts. It would be a cross-country move. I'd be close to Ray though, so that'd be cool :)

https://www.ap.com/careers/

I can't speak to the job or industry. But this job is in Beaverton, Oregon, and I can address that.

The Coastal Northwest (the portion of the Pacific Northwest west of the Cascade range and extending from about Medford, Oregon up to Vancouver, BC) is a great place to live, especially if you enjoy the outdoors. The Portland Metro area (including Beaverton) is in the middle of it all, and is home to several outdoor and athletics manufacturers.

The Beaverton/Hillsboro area is the high-tech center of the Northwest, sometimes called the "Silicon Forest."

Portland is becoming internationally known for both its craft beer and food cart scene. There are over 500 food carts in several "pods" around town.

The Willamette Valley, south of the urban area, is agricultural with a lot of vineyards and nurseries. The Willamette Valley's chief crop is grass seed. (By the way, it's pronounced wil-LAM-et, not WILL-a-met. If you don't get that right, you will be instantly pegged as an outsider.)

Just across the river (where Ray is) is Vancouver (the original Vancouver, not that northern imposter), Washington, which is trying really hard to carve its own identity separate from Portland.

An hour's drive or so gets you to the mountains (and skiiing in the winter) or the ocean.

Public hiking trails are numerous, both within and outside of the urban boundary. The Columbia River Gorge is a scenic jewel with hundreds of miles of trails.

There seems to be general public support for (or indifference to) alternative lifestyles.

The area isn't without problems. The area is growing; housing is in high demand and prices are high. There aren't enough roads for the traffic (but I won't get into the "why" because that involves politics). There is a large and vocal -- you could almost say proud -- homeless community in the urban areas of the Coastal Northwest.

Summers are usually really nice. Not too hot; reasonably dry and moderate. Winters can be a drag with long periods of gray, rainy days. This winter has been exceptionally dreary; since last October there hasn't been a two-day stretch without rain, and today may be the first day this year we see 70 degrees.

I grew up here, I like it here. I live a little ways north of Vancouver, about 35 minutes from downtown Portland (when the traffic is light).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:16:29 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 05:40:44 PM »

I can't speak to the job or industry. But this job is in Beaverton, Oregon, and I can address that.

The Coastal Northwest (the portion of the Pacific Northwest west of the Cascade range and extending from about Medford, Oregon up to Vancouver, BC) is a great place to live, especially if you enjoy the outdoors. The Portland Metro area (including Beaverton) is in the middle of it all, and is home to several outdoor and athletics manufacturers.

The Beaverton/Hillsboro area is the high-tech center of the Northwest, sometimes called the "Silicon Forest."

Portland is becoming internationally known for both its craft beer and food cart scene. There are over 500 food carts in several "pods" around town.

The Willamette Valley, south of the urban area, is agricultural with a lot of vineyards and nurseries. The Willamette Valley's chief crop is grass seed. (By the way, it's pronounced wil-LAM-et, not WILL-a-met. If you don't get that right, you will be instantly pegged as an outsider.)

Just across the river (where Ray is) is Vancouver (the original Vancouver, not that northern imposter), Washington, which is trying really hard to carve its own identity separate from Portland.

An hour's drive or so gets you to the mountains (and skiiing in the winter) or the ocean.

Public hiking trails are numerous, both within and outside of the urban boundary. The Columbia River Gorge is a scenic jewel with hundreds of miles of trails.

There seems to be general public support for (or indifference to) alternative lifestyles.

The area isn't without problems. The area is growing; housing is in high demand and prices are high. There aren't enough roads for the traffic (but I won't get into the "why" because that involves politics). There is a large and vocal -- you could almost say proud -- homeless community in the urban areas of the Coastal Northwest.

Summers are usually really nice. Not too hot; reasonably dry and moderate. Winters can be a drag with long periods of gray, rainy days. This winter has been exceptionally dreary; since last October there hasn't been a two-day stretch without rain, and today may be the first day this year we see 70 degrees.

I grew up here, I like it here. I live a little ways north of Vancouver, about 35 minutes from downtown Portland (when the traffic is light).

Portland Oregon is also the home of Powell's Technical Bookstore, right on the square.  If they had naked women and donuts in there it would truly be heaven on earth.

Edit: I see they added a coffee shop into the main store so the donuts may be covered.  Before the Internet they had an amazing selection of engineering texts.

Here is a great article from Conde Nast

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2015-07-13/why-powells-bookstore-portland-oregon-will-outlive-the-kindle

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 06:02:07 PM »

Portland Oregon is also the home of Powell's Technical Bookstore, right on the square.  If they had naked women and donuts in there it would truly be heaven on earth.

I don't know about the naked women (though there IS the annual naked bike ride), but 8 or 9 blocks down Burnside St. is Voodoo Doghnut, famous (or infamous) in its own right and very Portland-y. (I don't believe the donuts are naked, though you probably could get a naked donut by special request.)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 06:04:14 PM by Jonathan Johnson »

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 08:41:22 PM »

I don't know about the naked women (though there IS the annual naked bike ride), but 8 or 9 blocks down Burnside St. is Voodoo Doghnut, famous (or infamous) in its own right and very Portland-y. (I don't believe the donuts are naked, though you probably could get a naked donut by special request.)

Voodoo recordings and donuts, what a country.  I can't believe they don't have swag in fact guy sizes.  What donut shop would only have skinny people t-shirts.  Don't they know donuts are like crack to fat people?  Krispy Kreme dozens, convenient single serving package.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 10:46:12 PM »

Voodoo recordings and donuts, what a country.  I can't believe they don't have swag in fact guy sizes.  What donut shop would only have skinny people t-shirts.  Don't they know donuts are like crack to fat people?  Krispy Kreme dozens, convenient single serving package.

You can keep those nasty KK donuts.  Ugg.  I don't see the attraction at all.

We have a couple of "artisanal" donut shops and their concoctions are likewise rejected by me.  My donuts do not need crushed candy bars or sugary breakfast cereals coating the outside.  To me it's like putting mayonnaise on a hamburger - sure, people do it but it marks you as some kind of  culinary deviate.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 11:49:06 PM »

I mean I prefer my donuts in the nude.  :P

Thanks for the rundown of the area, definitely factors in. We shall see what opportunities present themselves to me in the next few months. It will be interesting to see!

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 11:55:40 PM »

You can keep those nasty KK donuts.  Ugg.  I don't see the attraction at all.

We have a couple of "artisanal" donut shops and their concoctions are likewise rejected by me.  My donuts do not need crushed candy bars or sugary breakfast cereals coating the outside.  To me it's like putting mayonnaise on a hamburger - sure, people do it but it marks you as some kind of  culinary deviate.

A1 on a nice rare steak, now that's a crime.  Crushed Oreo's on a donut, that's a sugar speedball

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 12:13:19 AM »

A1 on a nice rare steak, now that's a crime.  Crushed Oreo's on a donut, that's a sugar speedball

Indeed, kind like "prime rib, well done".  Years ago I was in a steak house in the Los Angeles area that had a sign reading "well done is not done here."

While we're thread-swerving... it pains me to see how many people over-cook pork (and chicken).  Pork does not require cooking to boot sole consistency to eliminate the incredibly minor chance of trichinae (in the USA, at least).

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 12:26:06 AM »

Indeed, kind like "prime rib, well done".  Years ago I was in a steak house in the Los Angeles area that had a sign reading "well done is not done here."

While we're thread-swerving... it pains me to see how many people over-cook pork (and chicken).  Pork does not require cooking to boot sole consistency to eliminate the incredibly minor chance of trichinae (in the USA, at least).

Huge swerve alert.

I substitute pork for veal in my Francaise and Marsala, pounded thin and cooked quick in a hot skillet. 

As far as Prime Rib.  When I am in Vegas I try and get by the Lawry's Prime Rib, it's off the strip if I recall, and a chain but they do a good job.  My preferred steak preparation is "Pittsburgh style or black and blue" seared on the outside and rare on the inside.  Bone in ribeye prepared that way is my favorite.  Bones in Atlanta is IMHO the unabashed carnivore's heaven on earth.  Manny's in Minneapolis is close second.  Morton's and Ruth Chris are overpriced and underwhelming IMHO -

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2017, 01:36:11 AM »

As far as Prime Rib.  When I am in Vegas I try and get by the Lawry's Prime Rib, it's off the strip if I recall, and a chain but they do a good job.

Best prime rib -- I'll admit I haven't had much -- is the stuff my brother does on the Traeger smoker grill. Sometimes he does it for church potluck. I'd tell you where, but we don't want to become a megachurch just because of the potluck. My brother's the pastor, too.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 04:36:38 PM »

When I am in Vegas I try and get by the Lawry's Prime Rib, it's off the strip if I recall, and a chain

A "chain" is Olive Garden and Applebees -and too harsh a term to describe a place run by the same family for over 85 years and has only 4 locations!

-although reading the LAB never fails to educate me, that's 3 more locations than I knew about :) 
I've only ever been to the La Cienega one -and I highly recommend it.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 06:25:03 PM »

A "chain" is Olive Garden and Applebees -and too harsh a term to describe a place run by the same family for over 85 years and has only 4 locations!

-although reading the LAB never fails to educate me, that's 3 more locations than I knew about :) 
I've only ever been to the La Cienega one -and I highly recommend it.

Well they have the same logo as Lawry's steak seasoning which is owned by McCormick Brands, so I always assumed there was some tie in but maybe McCormick licenses the name?

Here are a couple more Vegas gems for you. Bar Masa is unreal, it is even better than Blowfish Sushi in San Francisco.  It is amazingly expensive but if you are a sushi fan you won't ever be able to belly up to the all you can eat sushi bar without thinking you are eating bait.

I also had the privilege of entertaining clients at  Picasso in the Belaggio.  That place was over the top too.

I am back in Vegas after the summer and I want to try Mario B. (the guy from the Food Networks) new steak house.  I have heard good things.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 05:41:31 PM »

Well, as an update.

It seems that I don't have enough LabView experience so I'm not very high in the candidate list.

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 09:12:10 PM »

Well, as an update.

It seems that I don't have enough LabView experience so I'm not very high in the candidate list.

Hmm. How do they know? The system here only tells us how many posts you have on the LAB, not how many views. Or am I wrong?
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 09:15:49 PM »

Hmm. How do they know? The system here only tells us how many posts you have on the LAB, not how many views. Or am I wrong?
NI Instruments Labview. Software for designing systems.

Nothing to do with the LAB, haha

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 09:26:37 PM »

NI Instruments Labview. Software for designing systems.

Nothing to do with the LAB, haha
Yeah, I forgot to put an emoticon on there. 

Speaking of emoticons, I'm wondering when the MLA is going to come out with rules for their use.  We need something.  I'm never quite sure if I'm doing it right.  :P :-\ ;)
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2017, 09:29:07 PM »

Yeah, I forgot to put an emoticon on there. 

Speaking of emoticons, I'm wondering when the MLA is going to come out with rules for their use.  We need something.  I'm never quite sure if I'm doing it right.  :-\ ;)
That's good, I was really unsure how to respond   (...Is this guy serious??)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2017, 09:29:07 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.