ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing O1v96 with X32 Producer  (Read 9578 times)

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
Re: Replacing O1v96 with X32 Producer
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 08:52:12 PM »

Another option you could go with is both the X32r + X32 Compact.

Use the X32R when you're mixing form stage via tablet (How I use my X32R).

Then use the X32 Compact & X32R as stagebox when you're mixing out front.
Plus, when you're running both you effectively have a spare mixer on hand ready to go (up to 16/8 channels..)
Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 10:13:10 PM »

Another option you could go with is both the X32r + X32 Compact.

+1 on this.  You can set the X32 rack to act as a stagebox, plus other config options.  I've configured my amp racks to have an X32 in each of them. It makes for a convenient setup that everything is contained in one rack.  If, for whatever reason, the main console goes down, the X32 rack is there and can function on its own.  If the X32 rack goes down, the main console can be repositioned, and the show goes on.

It's an awesome way to have redundancy built in to the system for not much additional cost.

Oh, and using the line level inputs, the X32R and X32 compact can operate as 22 input mixers.  Pretty handy.

If you're looking at an X32 compact, I have one that I'm looking to move.  I've found that the events I have I either mix from the tablet, or I use the full size console.  The compact has been used on maybe a half dozen shows, and comes with an EWI case that looks showroom new.
Brian Jojade

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 12:33:19 PM »

Hello; 

I plan on giving him a call but don't want to take up too much of anyone's time until I'm sure what I am going to purchase.The reason of course for all these questions. At current I set aside $2250 in the ol' wallet to start looking with. Less is money is always better but again I want to make sure of my purchase before I take up anyone's time. ( if anyone wants to send me a PM with a price I won't mind ;-)   )
I'm look hard at a Producer for its small size.  Mixing side of stage with Ipad for the smaller under 16 channel shows and with a single S32 or a SD16 and SD8 pair for larger shows where I mix out front and run a Ethernet snake.

Tim McCulloch and Brian Adams have recommended the M32 rack. Names I respect here so I'm going to have to take another look at this desk as well. This would mean I'd have to start with just the desk and make the case and stage box purchase later but if the quality is there it may be worth the wait to go with one first. I could always Aux in my 01v96 and use it as a side car. I have 64 total channels of copper around so I could run that way until I sell some of my unused stuff.

Thanks for the reply!

Douglas R. Allen

Actually, I suggested the M32R first.  We just receiver ours from Mike about 3 weeks ago and it's a fight to see what gig gets it.  The form factor and the workflow are simply awesome.  I simply can't overstate the mistake I made with my original X32 producer.  The lack of scribble strips on a multi-layer board is very annoying. I kept my producer for 3 months. 

In general terms the number you tossed out will get you the M32R and the special case from EWI for it.  The case is very slick.  It has retractable rack rails so the mixer descends down into the top.

We put two rack drawers, a playback desk, 4 channels of QRX and a Blackmagic video switcher and playback deck in the rack.  It's a roll on for almost any type of live event.

I will grab some pics at the shop this afternoon.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Bolt

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 07:03:15 PM »

I would absolutely recommend the M32R or X32 compact over the Producer. Get an X32 Rack if you're always going to mix with a laptop or an iPad, otherwise get something with scribble strips.

Ok, I was just about to write this myself .... but Brian literally wrote EXACTLY what I was thinking.

If you really do mix mostly from remote, then I would strongly recommend the X32 Rack and an SD16.  38 channels (32 XLRs) and the best remote app support in the industry right now including a really nice off-line editor (ie, a librarian of scenes and shows which has all the features of the actual console so you can create a show without the console, then load it when you get there).

You can download the off-line editor and tablet apps to play around for free to help make your decision.

John Schalk

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 04:54:22 PM »

I was on the same journey as you are about 18 months ago.  I wanted to upgrade from my 01V96 so I played around with as many compact digital mixers as I could get my hands on.  Unfortunately that list did not include an M32 so I made a different buying decision.  However, the band I work for most often now has one, and after using it for 6 months, I can say that it is really the way to go.  They X32/M32 family is so feature rich that it blows my mind at what you get for the price.  And the rest of their ecosystem is really complete.  An M32R sounds like the right way to go for your needs.  By the way, I also vote for scribble strips as a must have feature, so the Producer was never an option for me.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 09:33:30 PM »

After much searching and advice here I ordered a M32R from Mike Pyle. I was leaning on purchasing a Producer or a Compact but the better construction with scribble strips made it a better buy. Right board at the right price!

Thanks Mike and thanks everyone for the replies!

Douglas R. Allen

Scott Bolt

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 03:49:52 PM »

After much searching and advice here I ordered a M32R from Mike Pyle. I was leaning on purchasing a Producer or a Compact but the better construction with scribble strips made it a better buy. Right board at the right price!

Thanks Mike and thanks everyone for the replies!

Douglas R. Allen

Enjoy Doug ;)

The scribble strips make a world of difference when you are mixing on the console.  The MIDAS chassis and faders are also a very nice touch.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 12:13:16 PM »

Mixer came Thursday afternoon.
Set it up this morning with 1 to 1 settings the same as the Yamaha. I know of course different DSP's, boards, will give different results but this should give me a basic starting point.
Setup was pretty easy as was the Android app setup. Only got ya was the Bus master faders were not assigned to the bus outs so I had to find and assign them. Set up for Aux Fed subs and effects was straight forward.
Only down size is faders have more noise than my 01v96. Paired they are kind of noisy. Not a deal breaker but I didn't expect a fader from the Pro2 line to be like that.

After a few gigs I'll post my findings.

Douglas R. Allen

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 03:01:27 PM »

First show went off without a problem. Really good sound. I'll post a review in a few month's when the new gear honeymoon is over ;-)

Scott Bolt

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2017, 12:29:56 PM »

First show went off without a problem. Really good sound. I'll post a review in a few month's when the new gear honeymoon is over ;-)
Doug,

It looks like a fine rig indeed.

I really wanted the Producer when it came out, but just couldn't live without the scribble strips.  The M32R really hits a sweet spot in features, price, and size IMO.  Wish it would have been available when I was shopping :(

I am looking forward to your review.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2017, 12:29:56 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.