ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing O1v96 with X32 Producer  (Read 9594 times)

Douglas R. Allen

Replacing O1v96 with X32 Producer
« on: April 17, 2017, 11:00:32 AM »

Greetings;

I have been pondering over replacing my 14 year old o1v96 with an X32 Producer for some time now.
I currently have a 2003 01v96 with 2 adat inputs, a "around" 1997 O1v with adat card and an ADA8000 preamp.
I've been mixing and matching these for some time now.  Some shows are under 16 channels and I can use either board.
Others require more channels I add the 01vmixer or ada8000 as require. Mixing mobile with AirFader.

I've been looking at the Producer or Compact for some time now.  The Producer with the S32 stage box seems the way to go although I like the idea of the Compacts scribal stripes. Of course the Producer will fit in my current cases and I'll be using software to mix the shows mobile or even beside the desk so I'm unsure if I need the scribal stripes as I believe channel names will show up on the Software?

Anyone went from an 01v96 to a Producer/Compact? Any down side?   Any other desk in the same price range/features ? Offers from Yamaha,Soundcraft,AllenHeath,Presonus etc. seem pricey in comparison. Not thinking of a Rack type interface at least at this time. 

This is for the standard bar band one offs and some corporate, school , church sound.

Thanks for any information regarding the desk.

Douglas R. Allen

P.S.  I did wade through as much as I could the X32 thread and did as much searching as possible but wondered if anyone else did a direct 01v96 to a Producer/Compact switch.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Replacing O1v96 with X32 Producer
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 11:07:22 AM »

Greetings;

I have been pondering over replacing my 14 year old o1v96 with an X32 Producer for some time now.
I currently have a 2003 01v96 with 2 adat inputs, a "around" 1997 O1v with adat card and an ADA8000 preamp.
I've been mixing and matching these for some time now.  Some shows are under 16 channels and I can use either board.
Others require more channels I add the 01vmixer or ada8000 as require. Mixing mobile with AirFader.

I've been looking at the Producer or Compact for some time now.  The Producer with the S32 stage box seems the way to go although I like the idea of the Compacts scribal stripes. Of course the Producer will fit in my current cases and I'll be using software to mix the shows mobile or even beside the desk so I'm unsure if I need the scribal stripes as I believe channel names will show up on the Software?

Anyone went from an 01v96 to a Producer/Compact? Any down side?   Any other desk in the same price range/features ? Offers from Yamaha,Soundcraft,AllenHeath,Presonus etc. seem pricey in comparison. Not thinking of a Rack type interface at least at this time. 

This is for the standard bar band one offs and some corporate, school , church sound.

Thanks for any information regarding the desk.

Douglas R. Allen

P.S.  I did wade through as much as I could the X32 thread and did as much searching as possible but wondered if anyone else did a direct 01v96 to a Producer/Compact switch.

Call Mike Pyle and get a price on the M32R (Midas version of X32) fits in the rack is nicer made than the x32 for just a few more dollars.  Also has scribble strips.

Runs the same software.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Sammy Barr

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 11:15:51 AM »

I have both a producer and the O1V96.  You will love the new interface, the quality of the effects, the 6 band parametric on the outputs.  I bought the producer to fit in the rack I used for the Yamaha and at times I wish for the scribble strips but its all there on the iPad screen and computer.  Having the usb to record to a stick or 32 channels via computer is also quite the step up.  i also have an s16 stage rack which gives me the full 32 channels and 16 outs.  It is a great value and very flexible.  I also use the X32 rack with one of the bands I mix.  It works great as well. 

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 12:03:32 PM »

I would absolutely recommend the M32R or X32 compact over the Producer. Get an X32 Rack if you're always going to mix with a laptop or an iPad, otherwise get something with scribble strips.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 12:44:43 PM »

Your dilemma is one that everyone wanting to buy smaller than the full size X32 faces:  Producer is the "right" size but lacks scribble strips, which you *really* don't want to have to do without.  Compact is much better, but bigger.  M32R is great, but much taller, so not good for a compact requirement.  If only Behringer had put scribble strips on the Producer....

Whichever you go for, though, you won't look back after an 01V96.  Even an XR18 will feel like a great step forward!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 01:01:46 PM »

My personal console inventory is kind of like yours - an 01v96II and an original 01v.  I also have X32 Rack and full size X32.  Our company owns a Midas M32R and it's becoming my favorite compact mixer.

If I were buying today, having the experience I've gained over the last few months, I'd buy the Midas and be done with it.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Marr

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 03:31:40 PM »

I went from O1V96 to the X32 Rack.   Zero regrets, absolutely love the X32.

I sold my second O1V96 and bought another X32 Rack as quickly as I could.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 06:02:14 PM »

Your dilemma is one that everyone wanting to buy smaller than the full size X32 faces:  Producer is the "right" size but lacks scribble strips, which you *really* don't want to have to do without.  Compact is much better, but bigger.  M32R is great, but much taller, so not good for a compact requirement.  If only Behringer had put scribble strips on the Producer....

Whichever you go for, though, you won't look back after an 01V96.  Even an XR18 will feel like a great step forward!

I agree 100 percent. 
Behringer should of had the line configured different. Producer with 16X8. Compact with a 24X12 format and the X32 as it is now at 32X16.   The 24X12 or even 24X8 segment is weak in the lower cost market.
A 24X12 format would do a large percent of my work.  A X32 Compact / Producer would require a stage box in the 8X8 or 16X8 size to do this. I'd much rather go full remote stage box or run copper snake to a 24 channel input desk then have 1/2 of the inputs on stage and 1/2 at the desk via copper.
To have the stage box by the desk to me defeats the point of having an Ethernet setup stage box. I guess a full function control surface just like an X32 but with just a few inputs on the board and Ethernet stage box setup would be the best system but no love in the X32 lineup yet.

Douglas R. Allen

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 06:19:44 PM »

Call Mike Pyle and get a price on the M32R (Midas version of X32) fits in the rack is nicer made than the x32 for just a few more dollars.  Also has scribble strips.

Runs the same software.

Hello; 

I plan on giving him a call but don't want to take up too much of anyone's time until I'm sure what I am going to purchase.The reason of course for all these questions. At current I set aside $2250 in the ol' wallet to start looking with. Less is money is always better but again I want to make sure of my purchase before I take up anyone's time. ( if anyone wants to send me a PM with a price I won't mind ;-)   )
I'm look hard at a Producer for its small size.  Mixing side of stage with Ipad for the smaller under 16 channel shows and with a single S32 or a SD16 and SD8 pair for larger shows where I mix out front and run a Ethernet snake.

Tim McCulloch and Brian Adams have recommended the M32 rack. Names I respect here so I'm going to have to take another look at this desk as well. This would mean I'd have to start with just the desk and make the case and stage box purchase later but if the quality is there it may be worth the wait to go with one first. I could always Aux in my 01v96 and use it as a side car. I have 64 total channels of copper around so I could run that way until I sell some of my unused stuff.

Thanks for the reply!

Douglas R. Allen

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 06:30:32 PM »

Hello; 

I plan on giving him a call but don't want to take up too much of anyone's time until I'm sure what I am going to purchase.The reason of course for all these questions. At current I set aside $2250 in the ol' wallet to start looking with. Less is money is always better but again I want to make sure of my purchase before I take up anyone's time. ( if anyone wants to send me a PM with a price I won't mind ;-)   )
I'm look hard at a Producer for its small size.  Mixing side of stage with Ipad for the smaller under 16 channel shows and with a single S32 or a SD16 and SD8 pair for larger shows where I mix out front and run a Ethernet snake.

Tim McCulloch and Brian Adams have recommended the M32 rack. Names I respect here so I'm going to have to take another look at this desk as well. This would mean I'd have to start with just the desk and make the case and stage box purchase later but if the quality is there it may be worth the wait to go with one first. I could always Aux in my 01v96 and use it as a side car. I have 64 total channels of copper around so I could run that way until I sell some of my unused stuff.

Thanks for the reply!

Douglas R. Allen

I'm still happy with my X32 purchases (and S16) but considering the nature of use they've gotten I'd have purchased the M32 Rack and later the stage box.

At work I was spending the boss's money because we needed to remove my personal 01v96 from shop inventory...

Anyway there is something about the way the M32 EQ responds that is different (and preferable to me) from the X32 but I don't think you'll be disappointed with the X series.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 06:30:32 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.